Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hm, maybe he's changed his attitude, but he hasn't come across like that in the few months I've been watching his videos. In fact he clearly states that the beta rollout is a numbers game, and that he's not anybody special.

The basic argument (with arbitrary numbers) is that having 1,000 users that are 5% likely to cause a problem each, is actually a safer situation than if 10,000 had it, even if the added 9,000 were better drivers and only each had a 1% chance of causing a problem.

When we're talking about a product with a potential pool of a million customers (no idea how many bought FSD, but surely in the hundreds of thousands), it's much safer to keep it locked down to a small group when the product is as homicidal as it is today.

Every order of magnitude that the beta increases in scope brings about that much more potential for death and injury, _even if the process of selecting safer drivers improves and the added drivers are "better"_.

So yeah, the rollout is an absolute mess right now. This product is just not ready to be distributed at the next order of magnitude. I would be saying the same thing even if I had FSD beta. That doesn't mean I think I'm some sort of special person, or particularly good driver.
I've been saying for over a year that they shouldn't just give the FSD Beta to any Tom, Dick or Harry who pushes the button. I think they'd have a more experienced pool of testers if they gave it to those with 10,000 miles or even 100,000 miles of Tesla ownership. I've seen people who don't even have 100 miles on the odometer who are complaining they didn't get the FSD beta. :rolleyes:

maybe his maybe this time means even earlier? 😀
There is a >0% chance of that happening. ;)

They are probably getting inundated with bug-reports from the new testers - just watch the videos. The OG beta group matured in their reporting over time and now Tesla has introduced a new pool of testers. I suspect they'll let the bug reports reach a steady state before they'll allow more novices to create more noise in the data. I fear this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get into the beta.

I'm waiting for a tweet from Elon that goes something like "We're getting tons of useful data from the expanded beta pool. Have enough for now. Maybe will expand pool with v11 which will be 🔥🔥🔥"

I definitely agree with your basic idea, but the numbers probably should be chosen less arbitrarily.

Every order of magnitude that the beta increases in scope brings about that much more potential for death and injury, _even if the process of selecting safer drivers improves and the added drivers are "better"_.
Agreed, each order of magnitude of increase in testers means the testers have to be an order of magnitude safer to maintain the same overall chance of zero issues.

The basic argument (with arbitrary numbers) is that having 1,000 users that are 5% likely to cause a problem each, is actually a safer situation than if 10,000 had it, even if the added 9,000 were better drivers and only each had a 1% chance of causing a problem.

1000 users each with a 5% chance of an issue in a given timeframe:

Chance of at least one issue in that given time frame? P(1 or more issues) = 1-P(no issues) = 1- 0.95^1000 ~= 1; P(no issues) = 5.29 * 10^-23 (~zero).

10000 users with a 1% chance: P(no issues) = 0.99^10000 = 2.25 * 10^-44 (zero)

Basically all these drivers are far too unsafe - 1% and 5% are really high chances of failure!

Realistically, as you said, for very small levels of chance of problem (which is what we have to hope for), basically 10x the number of testers means that those testers need to be 10x safer.

So for 1000 users with 0.1% chance of a problem (1 in 1000): P(no issues) = 0.999^1000 = 36.770% (So 63.2% chance of at least one problem).

And using the same math, 10k users would need 0.01% chance of a problem to end up at about the same 63.2% chance of a problem. (37.786% chance of success) (Approximately, as you can see, but the approximation is very good for these numbers.)

Hence, the march of 9s...

Anyway, happy for corrections to the math if I have made any mistakes here.

I've been saying for over a year that they shouldn't just give the FSD Beta to any Tom, Dick or Harry who pushes the button. I think they'd have a more experienced pool of testers if they gave it to those with 10,000 miles or even 100,000 miles of Tesla ownership. I've seen people who don't even have 100 miles on the odometer who are complaining they didn't get the FSD beta. :rolleyes:
Could not agree more!!! Tesla #5 and we’ll over 200,000 miles in Teslas since AP1. 2,300+ miles since the Beta Button with a 99% and no beta for me. 2021 LR Refresh S.

Some of us that have grown up with AP1 / 2 / 2.5 / 3 are pretty competent and aware of what to expect before it even happens.

94F1B2A1-829B-4615-8E63-C8BB232AD0C9.png

So here’s my score
My big dink was the phantom fcw on sept 26
The percentage was 28 percent

My average miles over the last 16 days has been about 425 miles of driving

My fcw is now 2.2 percent

Between now and Friday night I have 600 miles of driving planned

My guess is , and help me out guys, with no major dinks especially fcw I should make it to 99 percent?

Thanks

View attachment 721759
So here’s my score
My big dink was the phantom fcw on sept 26
The percentage was 28 percent

My average miles over the last 16 days has been about 425 miles of driving

My fcw is now 2.2 percent

Between now and Friday night I have 600 miles of driving planned

My guess is , and help me out guys, with no major dinks especially fcw I should make it to 99 percent?

Thanks
Try this spreadsheet. Should tell you the miles you need to get the score you want.