Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please cite one or more instances where FSD hit an emergency vehicle.
Hey: somebody, somewhere on the internet said so, so it MUST be true!

/S

Lincoln Internet.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: VanFriscia
I'm thinking virtually nobody in the media understands the distinctions between the various levels of driver assistance available on various Teslas, and that they make no distinction between base autopilot and full self driving.The photo caption is meaningless IMO.
I am not so quick to blame the media, given that no Tesla driver would say "self driving" to mean TACC or AP or anything other than FSD. The medium in question, the LA TImes, at least has some journalistic standards, and my inclination is to consider them innocent (of sloppy journalism) until proven guilty.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I'm so old I can remember when we were going to get 12.5 before the end of June...
The only things certain in life are death, taxes, & FSD delays and disappointment, which do not comport with Elon’s Tweets.

The medium in question, the LA TImes, at least has some journalistic standards,
Never mind that the caption did not match the news story. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: dramsey
I am not so quick to blame the media, given that no Tesla driver would say "self driving" to mean TACC or AP or anything other than FSD. The medium in question, the LA TImes, at least has some journalistic standards, and my inclination is to consider them innocent (of sloppy journalism) until proven guilty.

In about 5 minutes, I've found 3 examples of the media saying "self driving" prior to FSD Beta even existing:

July 2016: Tesla driver killed while using autopilot was watching Harry Potter, witness says "Driver in first known fatal self-driving car crash was also driving so fast that ‘he went so fast through my trailer I didn’t see him’, the truck driver involved said"

January 2017: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/19/business/tesla-model-s-autopilot-fatal-crash.html "Tesla’s Self-Driving System Cleared in Deadly Crash"

June 2017: Driver killed in Tesla self-driving car crash ignored warnings, NTSB reports

No Tesla driver would. But did the Tesla driver talk to the reporter, or did they talk to the police, who then answered a question from the reporter?

Police to driver: Was the car driving itself? I see it's a Tesla.
Driver: I had autopilot engaged.
Reporter to police: Was the driver using full self driving?
Police to reporter: Yes.

I’ve even seen the same headline in England....let’s face it, Teslas have some kind of mythical properties to the uninitiated.....
I treat the headlines the other way round, if they get it completely wrong because of biased and the inability to research on a subject that we are experts in....just extrapolate that onto the rest of the newspaper and assume it’s all rubbish

No Tesla driver would. But did the Tesla driver talk to the reporter, or did they talk to the police, who then answered a question from the reporter?

Police to driver: Was the car driving itself? I see it's a Tesla.
Driver: I had autopilot engaged.
Reporter to police: Was the driver using full self driving?
Police to reporter: Yes.
Another example of "I don't think that means what you think it means".

I’ve even seen the same headline in England....let’s face it, Teslas have some kind of mythical properties to the uninitiated.....
I treat the headlines the other way round, if they get it completely wrong because of biased and the inability to research on a subject that we are experts in....just extrapolate that onto the rest of the newspaper and assume it’s all rubbish
Avoid the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect - Wiktionary, the free dictionary
(The name was given by somebody else to make it sound better, which was a funny thing to do.)

Reactions: Bouba
I can't tell if you're trying to be sarcastic. If you aren't, how do you get that it's dead from this tweet?

He says "Aiming for about half Tesla AI hardware, half Nvidia/other."

Sharing half the data-center space with Nvidia doesn't sound like it's dead to me.
Just have to know the “one simple trick” of how to see Elon’s Tweets, which is required, possibly because the algorithm is working against him.

Reactions: gforce2002
Or they are simply building a cooling tower. You certainly find a new narrative in the simplest things.
He literally said it was “Sizing for ~130MW of power & cooling this year” for “mostly HW4, some Dojo” (was not clear if any of it was Nvidia but I guess I read it as no).

There is no narrative here. Just what he said. And yes I was kidding about Dojo being “dead.” It looks like it is being phased out for the Tesla HW5 Ai5 chip ultimately, if that pans out (Nvidia may win there too, though eventually they have to lose, surely?).

So, natural causes.

He literally said it was “Sizing for ~130MW of power & cooling this year” for “mostly HW4, some Dojo” (was not clear if any of it was Nvidia but I guess I read it as no).

There is no narrative here. Just what he said. And yes I was kidding about Dojo being “dead.” It looks like it is being phased out for the Tesla HW5 Ai5 chip ultimately, if that pans out (Nvidia may win there too, though eventually they have to lose, surely?).
AI5 is still an inference chip, not a training chip, AFAIK. It sounds like Dojo is not cost competitive with Nvidia so they're not using it.

130MW is 1.14TWh per year? Wouldn't that cost a fortune?

AI5 is still an inference chip, not a training chip, AFAIK. It sounds like Dojo is not cost competitive with Nvidia so they're not using it.

Yes, I thought it was interesting that Elon thinks Ai5 will do training and inference. Seems very inefficient. We’ll see. I guess it makes sense to give Nvidia an inherent advantage so they can be competitive.

They will get special deal on electricity from Texas. It’s not that much anyway, only a few hundred million per year. Or a couple hundred million for do it yourself. A really good deal is a dollar per watt per year.

Last edited:

I wanted to make a joke here about solar power, but I failed. A random gov website says an avg home uses 10.5 megawatters per year. So that is Tesla DC about 108,457 homes worth of power. Another random website says 100 megawatts is used by an "avg data center" and says this is equivalent to the power used by 80k homes, so that's about right.

When you read about these data centers using a lot of power it is hard to think of that in human terms; one several football sized building is using the same power as ~100k homes.