Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to make a joke here about solar power, but I failed. A random gov website says an avg home uses 10.5 megawatters per year. So that is Tesla DC about 108,457 homes worth of power. Another random website says 100 megawatts is used by an "avg data center" and says this is equivalent to the power used by 80k homes, so that's about right.

When you read about these data centers using a lot of power it is hard to think of that in human terms; one several football sized building is using the same power as ~100k homes.
I screwed up the math in my head. I was thinking 1 trillion kilowatt hours. 1 billion kilowatt hours isn’t nearly as much. Also it seems like you could shut down AI training when electricity is super expensive. Not sure if they do that.

Reactions: BobbyTables
I screwed up the math in my head. I was thinking 1 trillion kilowatt hours. 1 billion kilowatt hours isn’t nearly as much......
But ONLY by a factor of 1000x. 🤔 🤣

Just to add here is a site with some good basic info on data centers. Living in ATL (4th most) we have had a little kerfuffle about them lately.

Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 7.22.18 AM.png

Last edited:
Are you calling KSHB 41 News a liar?

🤣
Perhaps. We need more information about the size and type of washing machine they used to estimate the size of the sink hole. Are we talking front loaders, top loaders? Professional series Speed Queens, or happy homeowner big box store type washers. A lot of metrics go into this equation. 😂

• Funny
Reactions: VanFriscia
Perhaps. We need more information about the size and type of washing machine they used to estimate the size of the sink hole. Are we talking front loaders, top loaders? Professional series Speed Queens, or happy homeowner big box store type washers. A lot of metrics go into this equation. 😂
The washing machines they used were the size of 24 toaster ovens. 🤔 🤣

Are you calling KSHB 41 News a liar?
KSHB uses apartment size washing machines as their standard measuring device. Typically, their news response units include a truck (one about the size of a swimming pool) loaded with 3 x 10^1 such washing machines. For very large measurements, they use mobile homes. They take all this very seriously, and have never been caught lying about such things.

• Funny
Reactions: Seattle