Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk at D11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First he was waiting on a profitable quarter. No he's waiting on an announcement on June 20th. This is starting to sound like "the Supercharger announcement."

He actually said "once we reach profitability". That left him enough wiggle room that he could say "oh a full year of profitability" or he could say "after the announcement June 20".

I'm pretty happy we'll have cross country road trips, FREE. Plus 3X the Supercharger Coverage. Plus the full nationwide buildout in 7 months.

Wins all around.

Swapping? Fagetaboutit. Not happening.

I must say, I become less confident every day without an announcement. That said, the 8k is clear that they are going to announce it soon, and the spokespeople have refused to deny it. I also have seen photos of battery packs arriving at a service center, so maybe they will just do the limited version they were talking about late last year. But in that case, the main anticipated use for it was for 40kWh cars to be able to do road trips. That is no longer an issue, except for a few hundred cars that Tesla wants to upgrade to 60kWh anyways.

The ELE (Extinction Level Event) Elon speaks of doesn't have to be anything exotic, how about we just destroy the earths atmosphere to the point the polar ice caps melt, and there's so much CO2 in the atmosphere, we heat up the earth so it can no longer support life? Kind of like what we've been doing for the last 100 years, you know, burning hydrocarbons.

Perhaps they will temporarily swap in packs using the 3400mAh batteries with a near legit 300 mile range? Still doesn't make much sense in the context of being able to "recharge" faster than a gas powered car "anywhere in the country" or the "specialized" swapping facilities that were mentioned in the 8k.

The ELE (Extinction Level Event) Elon speaks of doesn't have to be anything exotic, how about we just destroy the earths atmosphere to the point the polar ice caps melt, and there's so much CO2 in the atmosphere, we heat up the earth so it can no longer support life? Kind of like what we've been doing for the last 100 years, you know, burning hydrocarbons.
This is not the thread you're looking for....

I must say, I become less confident every day without an announcement. That said, the 8k is clear that they are going to announce it soon, and the spokespeople have refused to deny it. I also have seen photos of battery packs arriving at a service center, so maybe they will just do the limited version they were talking about late last year. But in that case, the main anticipated use for it was for 40kWh cars to be able to do road trips. That is no longer an issue, except for a few hundred cars that Tesla wants to upgrade to 60kWh anyways.

I was at the Watertown, MA Service Center tonight, they have a 60KWh and an 85KWh pack sitting in crates, they aren't too thrilled with it, they're taking up valuable space and they don't think they'll need them anytime soon. It seems every service center is getting a spare of each pack.

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. Things could get very unpleasant, but life would go on. File:phanerozoic Carbon Dioxide.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was at the Watertown, MA Service Center tonight, they have a 60KWh and an 85KWh pack sitting in crates, they aren't too thrilled with it, they're taking up valuable space and they don't think they'll need them anytime soon. It seems every service center is getting a spare of each pack.

That makes a lot more sense.

That said, I still wish they would just get the mystery announcement over with and discuss what their battery swapping plans are, lol.

That makes a lot more sense.

That said, I still wish they would just get the mystery announcement over with and discuss what their battery swapping plans are, lol.

Yeah, the tell me they can swap the pack in 15 minutes, it has quick disconnects for the power and cooling lines, trouble is they need to rent a forklift to move the things around. Maybe they have some improved material handling equipment being deployed to the service centers soon, but they don't think battery swapping is involved in any major way, of course Elon always surprises everyone :)
They where talking about getting a larger facility down the street to handle more cars/volume, and that facility has a massive power distribution system, so they could put a SuperCharger their (current site is too small/crowded for that, and lacks enough power as well)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. Things could get very unpleasant, but life would go on. File:phanerozoic Carbon Dioxide.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Life" would not go on for everyone, for example coastal low lying areas such as New York City, for example (from the rising ocean levels). Things don't have to get so bad as to kill us ALL before we start to figure out "we need get out of this place".