Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk at D11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps they will temporarily swap in packs using the 3400mAh batteries with a near legit 300 mile range? Still doesn't make much sense in the context of being able to "recharge" faster than a gas powered car "anywhere in the country" or the "specialized" swapping facilities that were mentioned in the 8k.

I don't think after the interview with Javier we can put Elon's "recharge" comment in quotes to substitute it for "battery swapping" anymore. Javier used the same words as Elon, but in context of the whole paragraph, it's clear that he literally means charging - not swapping. (Don't ask me how, or why there would be both a battery swapping service as per 8k AND a faster-than-gas charging service.)

http://www.core77.com/blog/announce...with_javier_verdura_of_tesla_motors_24947.asp

"Charging technology is only going to improve with time. Charging times will decrease significantly and range will increase accordingly. In the very near future, the argument that internal combustion automobiles are more convenient than electric vehicles will be a moot point. You will be able to arrive at a charging station with an empty battery and drive off with a full charge faster than you can fill up a gas tank."

I don't think after the interview with Javier we can put Elon's "recharge" comment in quotes to substitute it for "battery swapping" anymore. Javier used the same words as Elon, but in context of the whole paragraph, it's clear that he literally means charging - not swapping. (Don't ask me how, or why there would be both a battery swapping service as per 8k AND a faster-than-gas charging service.)

http://www.core77.com/blog/announce...with_javier_verdura_of_tesla_motors_24947.asp

"Charging technology is only going to improve with time. Charging times will decrease significantly and range will increase accordingly. In the very near future, the argument that internal combustion automobiles are more convenient than electric vehicles will be a moot point. You will be able to arrive at a charging station with an empty battery and drive off with a full charge faster than you can fill up a gas tank."

Nice pickup. Elon always has nuance to what he says so that even when you restate it, the meaning can change. I don't think he's being shifty, he's just super-precise.

I was at the Watertown, MA Service Center tonight, they have a 60KWh and an 85KWh pack sitting in crates, they aren't too thrilled with it, they're taking up valuable space and they don't think they'll need them anytime soon. It seems every service center is getting a spare of each pack.

Confirmed in Honolulu too, 2 crates containing one 60 and one 85KWh packs. When I floated the idea to the Tesla techs that there's a theory revolving swapping packs, they laughed and said they've seen a team of guys switch out a pack in about 15 minutes, but it was a LOT of guys doing it and they didn't think it was practical. Of course, take that with a grain of salt since the techs are sometimes the last to find out about a new policy/procedure. It doesn't make sense to send battery packs to Hawaii for battery swapping though, since we're an island that's about 34 miles across.

4.5 billion years to go! *tick tock tick tock*

LOL! Elon doesn't strike me as the most patient type, but he seems to accept that some things must take their time and that every idea has it's right time to materialize. His metrics on what is possible and when is just a bit more optimistic than most others, which is great since he actually makes things happen and leads the way.

He starts to answer a question on Hyperlooping at the 51 minute mark & he associates that with the June 20th Tesla announcement, is there a connection between them?

My brother (Model S owner) said perhaps Tesla will make the motor/drivetrain for an electric bullet train that'll go from LA to San Fran.

What else could the hyperloop have to do with TM? That Elon, always keeps up on our toes.

He starts to answer a question on Hyperlooping at the 50 minute mark & he associates that with the June 20th Tesla announcement, is there a connection between them?

The only connection is that first there will be the "June 20th announcement" (which most probably is the "Right under your nose announcement"), and the announcement about the Hyperloop will follow (a few weeks -I think-) after that. The man has many things on his mind, you know.

The goal of the chargers isn't to put them in metro areas, but between metro areas. Otherwise, the locals are just gonna sit on 'em all day and you've got a Tragedy of the Commons situation (like we're starting to see with Gilroy...)

CORRECTION - Those are actually markers of where he charged, NOT SUPERCHARGERS. SORRY FOLKS! MY MISTAKE!

oh, ok. wheeew. haha. I'll guess I'll just wait until the official map is up before responding to anything.

- - - Updated - - -

The goal of the chargers isn't to put them in metro areas, but between metro areas. Otherwise, the locals are just gonna sit on 'em all day and you've got a Tragedy of the Commons situation (like we're starting to see with Gilroy...)

That makes sense, but something close to Dallas is all I'm looking for. Something for us North Texans. It's a big state ya know. ;)