Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk: focused on getting self-driving Teslas in wide release by year-end

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let us know when they release the whole transcript. I'm sure he's talking about FSD beta which means that it's actually a retreat from his previous predictions. He could wide release FSD beta in the US any time he wants. I wonder if the regulatory filings in Europe are public. It would be very interesting to read the supporting data for wide release.

Let us know when they release the whole transcript. I'm sure he's talking about FSD beta which means that it's actually a retreat from his previous predictions. He could wide release FSD beta in the US any time he wants. I wonder if the regulatory filings in Europe are public. It would be very interesting to read the supporting data for wide release.
Yes that is what I was thinking. Sounds like they got the title of the article wrong. It wouldn't be the first time that Reuters got it wrong. Or even the hundredth time :)

Yes that is what I was thinking. Sounds like they got the title of the article wrong. It wouldn't be the first time that Reuters got it wrong. Or even the hundredth time :)
Well, Elon sometimes says FSD when he's talking about FSD beta. Sometimes it's hard even for the experts on this forum to figure out which one he's talking about.

I think your title is click bait. Elon just said that he wants FSD to be ready for wide release by end of year. AFAIK, he said nothing about a NYC-LA FSD drive. You need to be exact about Elon actually said.

It also depends what Elon means by "FSD wide". I highly doubt "FSD wide" will be L4. My guess is Elon just wants FSD Beta to be "good enough" by end of this year that they can release to everybody and there are no major issues. It will still be L2. I think Elon wants the PR "win" of saying Tesla has released FSD to all Teslas in the US.

Full Self-driving wide release = released to the entire fleet with a (Beta) tag as a Level 2 ADAS requiring driver supervision at all times

May or may not still require Safety Score, I have a feeling it might but with a lower threshold. And the strike system etc will still be in place.

Basically like Autopilot is now, except this will drive you around city streets while you watch and correct it. A new iterative process will then begin with the goal of getting to Level 3+, nobody even knows what that looks like

Coast-to-coast driverless trek would require Full Self-charging at the very least

I think your title is click bait. Elon just said that he wants FSD to be ready for wide release by end of year. AFAIK, he said nothing about a NYC-LA FSD drive. You need to be exact about Elon actually said.

It also depends what Elon means by "FSD wide". I highly doubt "FSD wide" will be L4. My guess is Elon just wants FSD Beta to be "good enough" by end of this year that they can release to everybody and there are no major issues. It will still be L2. I think Elon wants the PR "win" of saying Tesla has released FSD to all Teslas in the US.
When you click the link, below is what comes up on the article headline. You decide what that means....since Elon CLEARLY has 90% of the earth confused as to what the differences are between "full self driving", "full self driving but its really beta", Full Self Driving Beta (thats also in Beta), "AutoPilot", "FSD with Vision Only"...(I bet if you gave everyone on this forum a quiz on what each means? The pass rate would be lower than the take rate of FSD this year).

Also..confusion to customers typically means horrible work by the marketing department and poor messaging by the head of marketing.

Elon Musk: aims to have self-driving Teslas ready by year-end in the U.S.​

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna and Ramphex
When you click the link, below is what comes up on the article headline. You decide what that means....since Elon CLEARLY has 90% of the earth confused as to what the differences are between "full self driving", "full self driving but its really beta", Full Self Driving Beta (thats also in Beta), "AutoPilot", "FSD with Vision Only"...(I bet if you gave everyone on this forum a quiz on what each means? The pass rate would be lower than the take rate of FSD this year)

Elon Musk: aims to have self-driving Teslas ready by year-end in the U.S.​

Yes, I know what the headline is. I am saying the Reuters headline "Elon Musk: aims to have self-driving Teslas ready by year-end in the US" and your title "Elon triples down today on nyc to la capability by 12-31-22" is NOT the same thing. Sure, you might say that "FSD ready" in the US infers a NYC-LA FSD capability. That might be a reasonable inference. But Elon did not actually triple down on a NYC-LA FSD drive, he just said he wants FSD to be "ready" by end of the year. We don't know what "FSD ready" means.

Yes, I know what the headline is. I am saying the Reuters headline "Elon Musk: aims to have self-driving Teslas ready by year-end in the US" and your title "Elon triples down today on nyc to la capability by 12-31-22" is NOT the same thing. Sure, you might say that "FSD ready" in the US infers a NYC-LA FSD capability. That might be a reasonable inference. But Elon did not actually triple down on a NYC-LA FSD drive, he just said he wants FSD to be "ready" by end of the year. We don't know what "FSD ready" means.
Which I why I pointed out the ACTUAL headline from the article, which I bolded. Which clearly shows he is reinforcing his prior promises on having FSD fully done by 12/31/2022.

And did he NOT say previously, that a completed FSD means the capability (again..Capability is the word IN my title) means the cars can be summoned from NYC to LA with no human input? Or do you not recall him stating that?

Reactions: Ramphex
Almost certainly in this context as he's already said that FSD beta wide release will happen before robotaxis but sometimes he says "FSD wide release" to mean robotaxis.
Yes, it has always been very clear that FSD Beta is actually a beta of FSD Beta (shorthand FSDb (b)), so in this context, when Elon says “FSD” (as he did in his recent tweet - nothing new I could see in the above article), he is removing the first “beta” and is referring to wide release of FSD Beta. (Right now we have limited release with SS qualification of the beta of FSD Beta.) FSD Beta seems pretty clearly to be an L2 system. It’s not clear whether this is what everyone bought though.

Seems straightforward enough, and Robotaxis are obviously a different context.

Still, an insanely difficult goal; can’t see it happening.

Yes, it has always been very clear that FSD Beta is actually a beta of FSD Beta (shorthand FSDb (b)), so in this context, when Elon says “FSD” (as he did in his recent tweet - nothing new I could see in the above article), he is removing the first “beta” and is referring to wide release of FSD Beta. (Right now we have limited release with SS qualification of the beta of FSD Beta.) FSD Beta seems pretty clearly to be an L2 system. It’s not clear whether this is what everyone bought though.

Seems straightforward enough, and Robotaxis are obviously a different context.

Still, an insanely difficult goal; can’t see it happening.
But if you dont say its going to happen, MUCH less likely to get more persons to step right up and pay the $15k for the vaporware.

• Love
Which I why I pointed out the ACTUAL headline from the article, which I bolded. Which clearly shows he is reinforcing his prior promises on having FSD fully done by 12/31/2022.

And did he NOT say previously, that a completed FSD means the capability (again..Capability is the word IN my title) means the cars can be summoned from NYC to LA with no human input? Or do you not recall him stating that?
First, never trust the headline. Headline writers are what remains when the decay of a journalist's soul is complete.

Second, self-driving comes with a very big asterisk. Most broadly, it means it has the capability to execute all necessary maneuvers, but says nothing about how good it is at it. In human terms, it could be anything from an incompetent novice learner to a capable experienced licensed driver.

All he said was trying to get self-driving into wide release by year end. Same old, same old. No mention of interventionless cross-country driving.