Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk: Model S, Model X production continues for ‘sentimental reasons’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla makes any changes to S/X in the next 12 to 24 months - the primary justification will likely be to get S/X into a single production line, freeing up capacity in the US to produce higher volume models (3/Y/Pickup). And while Tesla is making those changes to the S/X, that will be an opportunity to refresh both models.

Economically, S/X contribute a relatively small amount now to Tesla's bottom line - and the biggest impact is constraining Tesla's future production of other models.

Musk's comments must be put into context - the call was focused on finances/profitability - and in that context, it's hard to justify S/X in the near term. He didn't say they were planning to phase S/X out - he didn't mention dropping Roadster 2.0 (which will never contribute much to Tesla's revenue/profits).

For now, the focus must be on getting China production online, getting Y into full production, continuing to move towards introduction of the pickup and adding manufacturing in Europe. And that probably leaves some resources to continue working on S/X and make the improvements needed to streamline S/X manufacturing to reduce their footprint at Fremont - likely where S/X will always be built.

Reactions: Watts_Up and VikH
This news kind of shoots the dreams of those expecting a refresh soon.

On the bright side, he also said S,X,3 are all getting a power and range boost in a few weeks OTA. 5% for 3, 3% for S, X. Didn't specify if it was just the Ravens though. Includes better one-pedal driving, but didn't elaborate. My guess is more powerful regen.

You are still getting a refresh, and even a powertrain upgrade (Plaid). Both are whole lot cheaper than designing a new platform for the S/X. What I would not expect, would be a new generation S/X after three or four years.

And BMW and Merc have larger, established engineering with processes which allow for such wide range of designs. Tesla is a Silicon Valley startup with engineering not even keeping up with what Elon promised already, and in some cases sold too (i.e. took money for it and yet to have delivered even a beta, forget actual product).

Well I'm talking about form factor and function. Not particularly barebones engineering. I think Tesla is now past the startup stages. they haven't been around as long but I don't think they could be considered a start up any longer. And to your other point that they haven't delivered what Elon has promised, nobody has delivered what Tesla has thus far though all technologies are groundbreaking no one has ever assembled the puzzle like Tesla has. Their vehicles have combined capability that has never existed in the same vehicle. So I think they're doing just fine.

Well I'm talking about form factor and function. Not particularly barebones engineering. I think Tesla is now past the startup stages. they haven't been around as long but I don't think they could be considered a start up any longer. And to your other point that they haven't delivered what Elon has promised, nobody has delivered what Tesla has thus far though all technologies are groundbreaking no one has ever assembled the puzzle like Tesla has. Their vehicles have combined capability that has never existed in the same vehicle. So I think they're doing just fine.
They are ran like a startup. Elon believes "best process is no process" which doesn't lend itself to proper lifecycle planning for cars which live over a decade. This is clearly evidenced with MCU1 cars today (anything made before March 2018, so includes cars less than 2 years old): browser only works when the moon and the stars align just right, it runs slower and slower every release, there are no new MCU1 replacement parts available for cars which are barely over 1 year old, company is trying to weasel their way out warranty obligations by making ridiculous statements how a yellowing screen (MCU1 and MCU2 actually) even in 6 month old cars as "it's normal wear due to exposure to elements, therefore not covered under warranty", etc. etc. Elon is focusing primarily on new customer acquisition by selling visions of grandeur via vaporware, then leaving old customers disillusioned after delivering undewhelming results (for example: promised "AP1 summon will find you anywhere on private property" vs. delivered "the car will drive in a straight line up to 40 feet while you hold a dead-man-switch and assume all responsibility for any damage caused - using this as an example because nobody can argue that AP1 is going to get any better - Elon got more crafty with fine print and promised hardware upgrades on later promises like FSD which 3 years later hasn't delivered even one feature but fanboys will argue how it's coming any moment now). This is not how an established automotive company (or any company which sells expensive products with 10-15 year lifecycle) does business. This is more along the lines of how a desperate startup tries to stay afloat. It's just a startup in a giant scale.

Last edited:
They are ran like a startup. Elon believes "best process is no process" which doesn't lend itself to proper lifecycle planning for cars which live over a decade. This is clearly evidenced with MCU1 cars today (anything made before March 2018, so includes cars less than 2 years old): browser only works when the moon and the stars align just right, it runs slower and slower every release, there are no new MCU1 replacement parts available for cars which are barely over 1 year old, company is trying to weasel their way out warranty obligations by making ridiculous statements how a yellowing screen (MCU1 and MCU2 actually) even in 6 month old cars as "it's normal wear due to exposure to elements, therefore not covered under warranty", etc. etc. Elon is focusing primarily on new customer acquisition by selling visions of grandeur via vaporware, then leaving old customers disillusioned after delivering undewhelming results (for example: promised "AP1 summon will find you anywhere on private property" vs. delivered "the car will drive in a straight line up to 40 feet while you hold a dead-man-switch and assume all responsibility for any damage caused - using this as an example because nobody can argue that AP1 is going to get any better - Elon got more crafty with fine print and promised hardware upgrades on later promises like FSD which 3 years later hasn't delivered even one feature but fanboys will argue how it's coming any moment now). This is not how an established automotive company (or any company which sells expensive products with 10-15 year lifecycle) does business. This is more along the lines of how a desperate startup tries to stay afloat. It's just a startup in a giant scale.

And name any other car manufacturer that even has a browser in the car at all? Or has attempted any of the things the current Tesla's are capable of? I'm not a fan boy by any means and I'll call a spade a spade I for one am getting tired of useless updates my car is a 2012 I would much rather have a stable and predictable UI where everything works. But hey hiccups are going to happen when you push the envelope.

I never bought into any of the full self-driving garbage anyway legislation is years behind that even if anybody ever can make it work reliably at a totally autonomous level (globally) where you dont even have to have any user controls in the vehicle.

Tesla will continue to be in "startup" mode until they achieve a stable level of sales and manufacturing.

Until then, Tesla must continue to adapt as they quickly (relative to other manufacturers) expand the number of models they are selling and the number of vehicles they are building, delivering and supporting.

That doesn't mean Tesla should continue with what appears to be "knee jerk' reactions to issues - like the flip-flopping on having local stores or galleries. Even in "startup" mode, it should be possible to predict upcoming challenges and better plan how Tesla should be adapting. And doing that would provide more confidence to customers, investors and the media...

The Model 3 predecessors were a very public learning curve for Tesla. Starting with the Roadster, each model was state of the art for its time, with an ever growing, loyal fan base.

We were wowed by Tesla's equivalent of Fly by Night, 2112, and Permanent Waves, before we learned what perfection really is with Moving Pictures. Hopefully Elon will stop before Power Windows, though. :D
Some might argue Farewell to Kings was their early pinnacle...I guess these are the diehard classic S fans.

And I may be an outlier but Power Windows has always been a favorite mine....mostly likely because it came out during those formative high school years.

Reactions: alstoralset
And then Mercedes got him to shoot a promo video for the Vision EQS. "I Found My Dream Electric Car!"

So he does not like the Model X because road trips are a problem. Well good luck in the Mercedes and the public charging network.

We can squabble about FSD and oh Tesla behalves like a startup. Meantime the SuperCharger network is not startup behavior, its a massive investment and commitment.

• Love
Reactions: tccartier
So he does not like the Model X because road trips are a problem. Well good luck in the Mercedes and the public charging network.

We can squabble about FSD and oh Tesla behalves like a startup. Meantime the SuperCharger network is not startup behavior, its a massive investment and commitment.

That dude is famous for trading in his Tesla Model S because the tires are worn. Jalopnik caught the story and his channel exploded with subscribers.

Youtuber Is Selling His Tesla Because the Tires Are Worn Out

Then he became a full-on Tesla family with 2 Model X's and an OG Roadster.

I think he did that video to hopefully drive more views to his channel.

• Funny
Reactions: emmz0r
Some might argue Farewell to Kings was their early pinnacle...I guess these are the diehard classic S fans.

And I may be an outlier but Power Windows has always been a favorite mine....mostly likely because it came out during those formative high school years.

<apologies for hijacking>
Agreed on AFtK!

I liked the songs on side A of PW, but IIRC that album was the first one where I didn't like ALL the songs. And it was the last one where I liked any of the songs, sadly.

Probably advancing age played a big role. All the good music was recorded before I hit 30. :)

<apologies for hijacking>
Agreed on AFtK!

I liked the songs on side A of PW, but IIRC that album was the first one where I didn't like ALL the songs. And it was the last one where I liked any of the songs, sadly.

Probably advancing age played a big role. All the good music was recorded before I hit 30. :)
Of course I’m one of those weirdos who likes Caress of Steel (is it ok to say that???)