Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk on The Joe Rogan Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So let’s get this straight your sayin that the best “Dealer” delivery is better than the worst Tesla experience?

I call bullshit, cuz the BEST conventional car dealer experience is so much worse than anything I have seen or read about on these forums.

That does not say not to continuously improve the experience (which Tesla is doing) but really no car dealer I or anyone I know ever said ANYTHING positive about these leaches.

Fire Away!

I never brought up the Tesla SC model vs. Dealer Model.

I fail to see the point of that when I was discussing the need to improve the TESLA delivery model, and the QC of it's cars. That what's happening to Model 3 buyers at delivery is completely unacceptable. Now I don't think its going to stay that way. I'm sure Tesla will get things straightened out. If I didn't believe that I wouldn't have traded in my 2015 Model S. I made the decision to allow Tesla to fix my car later, and to take delivery. That's not the choice I would make now, but I would still stick with the Model 3. I would simply do the VIN reassignment and go through the entire process again.

For the record I'm completely against the LEGAL requirement for dealers that exist in lots of states. I believe that's protectionism where the law is the only thing that keeps them going. I fail to see how the Dealership model is even sustainable with EV's.

I'm also against the dealership model for myself personally because I can't haggle. The last time my I was at a dealer was when my mom was buying a Subaru. To her the entire thing was fun, and she absolutely destroyed them. She went in knowing how much the dealer price on the car was, and how much her car was worth. I didn't think she was being realistic, but after being stubborn for what seemed like hours they eventually relented.

To be honest I kinda felt embarrassed. But, it's really just how much the Dealership model doesn't fit me.

It's a big part of why I want Tesla not just to survive, but to flourish.

Are you reading any of the comments on YouTube? 2,000:1 in favor of Elon.:cool:

Justa Belief -- 4 hours ago
If you actually take the time to listen to the entire interview rather than just the media outtake of him taking a puff of pot, you'll find a clear thinking, forward thinking, level headed, science and engineering based open and honest person who has genuine concern for humanity and the environment and is working hard to improve society. He's also incredibly brilliant!

If you actually take the time to listen to the entire interview rather than just the media outtake of him taking a puff of pot, you'll find a clear thinking, forward thinking, level headed, science and engineering based open and honest person who has genuine concern for humanity and the environment and is working hard to improve society. He's also incredibly brilliant!

:rolleyes: Haha, yeah 42 of those 7.4M views are from me. Cheers!

You’re right. I mean, in the same vein, building mega cities are experiments. Not allowing forest fires to burn is an experiment.

Fossil fuels have massive utilitarian value. What Elon means is that we don’t know what bad catastrophic effect increasing co2 will have. Of course, if could have no catastrophic effect, but that’s the nature of an unknown, an experiment.

At least Elon has viable solutions and is actually implementing them. He is singlehandedly converting our transport infrastructure to electric. Even if you don’t think increasing co2 will be catastrophic, that’s a huge positive good in itself for other reasons. Too bad his Solarcity idea got derailed for a bit by financial shortsellers. Solar roofs just won’t be cheap enough to make anywhere near a dent in fossil fuel consumption as cheap Solarcity installs did.

Anyways, the way Elon phrases it, as an experiment, is just an example of his intellectual honesty. Unlike most climate change zealots (meaning most people reading this post, I think), Elon knows that we don’t know what will happen if we continue to pump co2 into the atmosphere, maybe something bad will happen, maybe it won’t, but it is foolish to do something so irreversible when we don’t know the outcome (and it probably isn’t even irreversible since the world appears to be getting greener due to the increase in co2).

Elon well knows that this is a weak argument for radically changing our transport infrastructure. Using that logic, we should ban all progress since we don’t absolutely know the future effects of anything. But weak argument or not, that’s as far as his scientist mind is willing to go, and I applaud his intellectual honesty.

Finally someone hit the nail on the head. Pumping too much CO2 into the environment is the experiment and what he said.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
td8S7eO.png

Maybe the reason I say something is a hard failure is because I'm used to Audi's, and Porsche's. So that's what I'm using to measure it against.

So it won't really show up until those like me jump ship to Audi/Porsche whenever their supercharger like network becomes a viable alternative.

My biggest concern now is Tesla is manufacturing customers for competitors. In the same way Nissan, GM made customers for Tesla by producing EV's that were good, but not quite what someone wanted.

If I was Sales/Service of Tesla I would really focus on improving the delivery experience. It's the easiest part to fix, and has the biggest return on investment in terms of customer loyalty.

Sounds like a “job” for FlufferBot. I don’t know, I haven’t been thru the Audi/Porsche shopping experience. It sounds ...nice. The hours at Toyota, Subaru and Nissan dealershops getting family’s cars were lacking in fluffage. So was delivery at Tesla, but Didn’t Care, Got A Model S!

Sounds like a “job” for FlufferBot. I don’t know, I haven’t been thru the Audi/Porsche shopping experience. It sounds ...nice. The hours at Toyota, Subaru and Nissan dealershops getting family’s cars were lacking in fluffage. So was delivery at Tesla, but Didn’t Care, Got A Model S!
I've been through both the Audi and Porsche "shopping experience" and it's the same as any other car dealer. Showrooms are nicer but the same obnoxious salesman, finance man, and sales scams. Always came away feeling dirty and like I got fleeced.
Never again.

Go by the numbers.

I do. Sales of Tesla vehicles over here have reached an all time low.
Number of people who I got interested in a Tesla (especially Model 3) over the years? Dozens. Number of thoese people who are still interested? One, and that is myself.

The US is different in so many ways, as we have seen, especially when it comes to cars. Don't forget that.
As a Tesla advocate for years, plus a TSLA stockholder, nothing would make me more happy than your predictions turning out to be true. Right now though, I have an ever harder time believing that to be the case.

I do. Sales of Tesla vehicles over here have reached an all time low.
Number of people who I got interested in a Tesla (especially Model 3) over the years? Dozens. Number of thoese people who are still interested? One, and that is myself.

The US is different in so many ways, as we have seen, especially when it comes to cars. Don't forget that.
As a Tesla advocate for years, plus a TSLA stockholder, nothing would make me more happy than your predictions turning out to be true. Right now though, I have an ever harder time believing that to be the case.

I would imagine they are first focusing on slam dunking the US market, and then will take it from there.

Here, they definitely get free advertising from all the Tesla interest combined with the Elon obsession. I would suspect other countries may require a touch of marketing.

The Model 3 is such a great product, I would suspect it is only a matter of time...

Taking drugs is nothing to make fun of! I lost a friend to drugs.
Drugs, no matter how "acceptable" they might seem to some, should never be trivialized!!! :mad:

I'm out.
Interesting that everyone got excited about Elon taking a puff of pot but nobody said anything about the fact that he was drinking whiskey during the entire interview. Seems like most people have a very warped idea of "drugs" and a lot of hypocrisy. The whiskey was far more likely to warp his judgement than the pot.
To me, this is a non-issue.

Why are you focusing on the dealership when I was talking about the car specifically?

I mentioned the delivery experience as being the easiest to fix as the most common complaint is being given the silent treatment.

If we're talking about dealerships versus the Tesla SC there is an overwhelming winner, and that's the Tesla SC model. They'll do things like sending a Tesla ranger to fix something, or they'll give you a Tesla loaner (not always)

But, that can only go so far in making up for the failures of QC on Tesla's part.

Interesting that everyone got excited about Elon taking a puff of pot but nobody said anything about the fact that he was drinking whiskey during the entire interview. Seems like most people have a very warped idea of "drugs" and a lot of hypocrisy. The whiskey was far more likely to warp his judgement than the pot.
To me, this is a non-issue.

There does seem to be an irrational Reefer Madness response going on with some people. It's as completely outdated as thinking ICE vehicles are better than EVs.

watching the interview. Half hour to go and I can’t get past the idea that this seems like Joe Rogan actually setup Elon to intentionally ruin his reputation and hurt Tesla as a result. First of all he messes up Elon’s judgement early by offering him whisky multiple times. Then after a couple drinks at some point he makes a remark to Elon about how “mushrooms are cool” Almost goading him to agree on video. (Thankfully Elon Just responds “yeah they’re delicious”). Then finally at the end (I’ve heard. Haven’t gotten to that part yet) Joe gets him to try smoking a Marijuana laced cigar. This really really feels like Joe Rogan intentionally set up Elon with the hopes that he would fall for it, use drugs on video and ruin his reputation. What convinces me even more is that he seems capable of it because he strikes me as an In your face jerk/high school bully type.

Yeah, it reminds me of the time I was bullied and coerced by the Swedish Bikini Team into being the Team boyfriend for a summer. PTSD means some our wounds are hidden.... it's hard explaining to my friends why the scent of coppertone sunscreen gives me flashbacks and makes me weep uncontrollably.

I am guessing a good % of those directly went the position in the video where Elon took a puff.

YouTube doesn't count visits, it counts views. Views are defined as having watched at least the first 50% of the video. The toke was around 2:10 into the 2:30 hr video.

"Views" are how YouTube charges for Ad revenue, and how they pay Content creators, so it's extremely important for them to get this right.

So unlikely that the (now over 8M) views are merely click-thrus.

Last edited:
YouTube doesn't count visits, it counts views. Views are defined as having watched at least the first 50% of the video. The toke was around 2:10 into the 2:30 hr video.

"Views" are how YouTube charges for Ad revenue, and how they pay Content creators, so it's extremely important for them to get this right.

So unlikely that the (now over 8M) views are merely click-thrus.
Do you have a source for this? My research on YouTube views is not so clear-cut. Certainly it doesn't define it as 50% - more like 30 seconds, and it doesn't have to be the first 30 seconds. There is some AI to make sure it's not the same clown refreshing and ballooning views, but I see nothing to corroborate your 50% claim. Doesn't mean I'm right, but my quick research says that someone can easily just skip to the toke, watch 30 seconds, and be counted as a view.