Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk on The Joe Rogan Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have a source for this? My research on YouTube views is not so clear-cut. Certainly it doesn't define it as 50% - more like 30 seconds, and it doesn't have to be the first 30 seconds. There is some AI to make sure it's not the same clown refreshing and ballooning views, but I see nothing to corroborate your 50% claim. Doesn't mean I'm right, but my quick research says that someone can easily just skip to the toke, watch 30 seconds, and be counted as a view.

Hi ohmman,

Yes I see you point, and there are actually quite a few 'quora' type sites that simply say a flat '30 seconds' counts as a vew. But I think that YouTube is slightly more sophisticated than that. Here's an excellent discussion (see esp. the "view freeze" description.

How Does YouTube Count Views?

In particular, this morning I noticed that the view count froze and then slightly decreased over an hour timespan. So I think that lends credibility to the statements above that YouTube analyists are examining the view count and discarding non-view hits.

This would be essential for heavily-viewed channels like Joe Rogan Experience where he gets millions of views per week and Youtube is paying him per view for his content. This is an ongoing money-making business for Joe, so this must have come up. His previous No. 1 viewed video had 7.5 M views, and he has at least a dozen videos with over 4M views.

Equally, advertisers want to be sure that their content is being seen, and YouTube would be in trouble financially if problems over view counts ever surfaced. So overall, I'm satisfied that most views of the Elon video are 'inhaled' and not just 'toke-views'.

Cheers!

Last edited:
So overall, I'm satisfied that most views are legit and not just 'toke-views'.
:D on "toke-views".

I don't read that piece or interpret the view count the same way you do, but I also have no skin in this game. You just made me curious about how that was done, since as you said it's a big part of business. But then, at least one ad is usually shown prior to any content at all, so there's revenue even in a fake view. Thanks for the feedback!

Reactions: Artful Dodger
Hi ohmman,

Yes I see you point, and there are actually quite a few 'quora' type sites that simply say a flat '30 seconds' counts as a vew. But I think that YouTube is slightly more sophisticated than that. Here's an excellent discussion (see esp. the "view freeze" description.

How Does YouTube Count Views?

In particular, this morning I noticed that the view count froze and then slightly decreased over an hour timespan. So I think that lends credibility to the statements above that YouTube analyists are examining the view count and discarding non-view hits.

This would be essential for heavily-viewed channels like Joe Rogan Experience where he gets millions of views per week and Youtube is paying him per view for his content. This is an ongoing money-making business for Joe, so this must have come up. His previous No. 1 viewed video had 7.5 M views, and he has at least a dozen videos with over 4M views.

Equally, advertisers want to be sure that their content is being seen, and YouTube would be in trouble financially if problems over view counts ever surfaced. So overall, I'm satisfied that most views of the Elon video are 'inhaled' and not just 'toke-views'.

Cheers!
Lots of different metrics go into how Youtube pay you and it is not just based on total views. But Rogan is going to get top dollar for this because a) its a very long interview so there are several ads interspersed, b) it is getting a high view rate per hour, and c) the content is obviously of high general interest so advertisers compete for the space

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
YouTube algorithmically validates views... They do not disclose the specific action(s) required to count as a view, as they'd have bots gaming it in a matter of hours.

Hi Zaxxon. Thanks for your reply. So it seems pretty obvious that, behind the scenes, if YouTube's Algos see a cluster of views entered beginning at a specific time and lasting the same length, they would then flag and remove those views from their published totals.

Also, with 65K comments and only 5K thumbs down, it seems like a heavily viewed video. It's not like trolls are visiting just to see the toke and down-vote Elon.

Cheers!

Interesting that everyone got excited about Elon taking a puff of pot but nobody said anything about the fact that he was drinking whiskey during the entire interview. Seems like most people have a very warped idea of "drugs" and a lot of hypocrisy. The whiskey was far more likely to warp his judgement than the pot.
To me, this is a non-issue.

I didn't want to reply to this anymore at first, but I think this needs clarification.

My comment wasn't about Elon smoking pot itself, it was about ohmman's reaction to it, which was imho trivializing the usage of drugs.
Which to me was disgusting, as I have seen what drug abuse can lead to. And for the record, the friend I mentioned died of the aftereffects of alcohol abuse!

I didn't want to reply to this anymore at first, but I think this needs clarification.

My comment wasn't about Elon smoking pot itself, it was about ohmman's reaction to it, which was imho trivializing the usage of drugs.
Which to me was disgusting, as I have seen what drug abuse can lead to. And for the record, the friend I mentioned died of the aftereffects of alcohol abuse!
Over reaction to the non harmful use of drugs should be trivialized. Imagine being offended by the normal use of a vehicle because a friend died in a car accident.

Over reaction to the non harmful use of drugs should be trivialized. Imagine being offended by the normal use of a vehicle because a friend died in a car accident.

Total BS comparison.
Like you said, car accident.
An accident is by definition something unplanned and/or unforeseeable.
Starting to use drugs otoh is a deliberate decision someone has to take at some point. Trivializing drugs is never right. And what is a "non harmful use of drugs"? To your body, every use of drugs is harmful! Even if you try to explain that away for yourself, you can't change the fact.

The number of views (and associated ad revenue) on the video will probably pay for Joe’s new P100D many times over.

Really? How much does ad revenue on YouTube pay the content creator?
I have wondered about that many times, because I never pay attention to the ads, rather skip them at the earliest opportunity. How do the companies that pay for the ads make money? From what I gathered, almost everybody skips the ads, like one changes channels on TV when the commercial break kicks in. I mean, why are services like Amazon Prime or Netflix so successfull? Because people got sick of all the commercial breaks and decided to rather pay a fee and have an ad-free viewing experience.

It's one of the things I love most about Tesla, that they don't advertise.

Eating fast food is probably more harmful than the occasional drink or toke. You also ignore the positive effects of pot on a number of different conditions. I'm sorry about your friend but you judgement is skewed on this topic.

I'm sure fast food is just as bad for your health as drugs, which is why I try to avoid it as well.
That and the fact that it has no taste, is catastrophic for the enviroment, and doesn't even properly work when your hungry, because shortly after having had fast food your body notices that it hasn't gotten what it needed and demands more nourishment. I rather eat something wholesome and tasty than any of that fabricated artificial fast food crap.

Not sure anyone knows for sure what was in his smoke.
Rogan said it was tobacco and marijuana.

To your body, every use of drugs is harmful! Even if you try to explain that away for yourself, you can't change the fact.
That view is not supported by scientific evidence, which includes numerous studies of the beneficial health effects of small quantities of red wine. Your neighbors in France can testify. There is also mounting evidence that marijuana/THC has numerous benefits for people with certain painful medical conditions, glaucoma, nausea, etc.. If carried to the extreme, the logic here would be that no drug, licit, illicit, natural, pharmaceutical, etc., would have any health benefits.

I think what you mean to say, though I don't want to presume, is that *abuse of drugs is harmful.* That is a widely held and evidence-based assessment, and one which most here probably agree.

That view is not supported by scientific evidence, which includes numerous studies of the beneficial health effects of small quantities of red wine.

Funny you should mention, because for a long time I used to believe that as well. Just a couple of weeks ago though I read an article about a recent independent study that stated that the above argument is wrong after all, and that even small amounts of alcohol are harmful to your body. Who to believe...

Funny you should mention, because for a long time I used to believe that as well. Just a couple of weeks ago though I read an article about a recent independent study that stated that the above argument is wrong after all, and that even small amounts of alcohol are harmful to your body. Who to believe...
I thought that recent study was relatively comprehensive and focused directly on outcomes. It said that one drink per day had a slight increased risk of heath effects. Of 100,000 non-drinkers, 914 would develop a health problem commonly related to alcohol. But if those people drank one drink every day, the number would increase by 4 to 918. It’s a slight difference but it does contradict the “a drink is good for you” mantra that we’ve heard for many years.

One problem is that most people don’t have a single drink, and outcomes get worse as drinking levels increase. Alcohol also is relatively addictive, so depending on one’s personal psychology and physiology, there can be an increased tolerance and chasing effect. But that’s not for everyone.

Cannabis use doesn’t have the same outcomes. Relative to alcohol, it is much safer, specifically for adults. Both substances have very high risks for adolescent populations. Cannabis use hasn’t been pinpointed specifically in any larger deaths. Additionally, similar studies to the one above showed no difference in mortality between regular consumers and non-consumers.

Leisure driving is risky. It’s a choice one makes - to “go for a drive” or to take the fun route home. Skiing is risky but very popular. Life contains risks. Knowing the risks is important - how risky is this activity - but those are weighed against the upsides.

I am very sorry about your friend, and I can tell it still hurts. And I’m truly sorry that my cartoon brought back those memories. But I don’t think it was out of line. Drug use does not equate to drug abuse.

The video clips just go to show that even a genius bazillionaire looks dumb when he smokes pot...

I'm of the mind that what people do in their personal time is their business. But I also find it hypocritical if he owns (and draws a salary from) a company where his employees are required to pass drug tests as a condition of employment. The problem with pot is that if a person tests positive, it doesn't mean they are currently under the influence so what people do on weekends could end up costing their jobs even if it doesn't affect how or what they do during their work hours.

As a shareholder and (soon to be) Model 3 owner, I hope Musk isn't make business decisions while under the influence. Whether people think he is cooler, hipper, or more approachable after the interview isn't of interest to me. I also find it hard to believe that he can be easily manipulated or led as some posters have suggested.

The video clips just go to show that even a genius bazillionaire looks dumb when he smokes pot...

I'm of the mind that what people do in their personal time is their business. But I also find it hypocritical if he owns (and draws a salary from) a company where his employees are required to pass drug tests as a condition of employment. The problem with pot is that if a person tests positive, it doesn't mean they are currently under the influence so what people do on weekends could end up costing their jobs even if it doesn't affect how or what they do during their work hours.

As a shareholder and (soon to be) Model 3 owner, I hope Musk isn't make business decisions while under the influence. Whether people think he is cooler, hipper, or more approachable after the interview isn't of interest to me. I also find it hard to believe that he can be easily manipulated or led as some posters have suggested.
He said he does test employees for pot but they have a threshold so they won't penalize people who have just a small residual from weekend recreational use.

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
To your body, every use of drugs is harmful!

What is a “drug”? THC consumption(via inhalation or ingestion) use generally results in a release of dopemine. There are many other substances that result in a release of dopemine, including chocolate(in particular, dark chocolate). Would you consider dark chocolate a “drug” and, therefore, harmful?

If you’re referring to the legal categorization making THC a “drug”, I’d note that your body doesn’t much care what US law says and beyond the effects of possible prison time, won’t be affected much by it.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler