Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk on The Joe Rogan Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone explain to me why Elon calls burning oil an experiment. I’ve heard it from him many times and I’ve always wondered. It has a utilitarian value, it’s not like we are really burning all the oil to just see what happens. It seems to me it’s like saying building a house is an experiment, wearing clothes, or making metal objects. Thanks.
He's not saying burning oil in itself is an experiment. He's saying that *continuing* to burn oil when *we know it's impacting our climate* and *we could choose to largely stop* is an experiment. And a dumb one due to its potentially catastrophic consequences.

Don't know. Up to a few months ago, I would not have worried about a slight bump/valley in TSLA stock price. But recent events have made me question Elon's sanity and the positive future for the company.

For a start there's the Model 3 disaster. They can't get production going the way it was supposed to. They are months behind schedule on their production goals. But that's not the biggest problem. The main problem to me is the abysmal quality control and the amount of cars that need redoing after delivery. There are numerous threads on this very forum about shoddy paintjobs as well as other defects that proper quality control would have noticed and eliminated before the car got into customers hands. This costs time, money and goodwill on the customer side, because even if apologists like some of us will be happy to put up with such a situation, the general car buying public - no matter in which country - will not. In the long run, this can cost Tesla a lot of sales, especially as ever more competitors join the scene.
Imagine buying a Toyota or Honda (if in the US) or buying a BMW or Audi (if in Europe or China). Would you ever dream of buying another car from one of those companies if the experience on the first one was as many here describe their problems with the Model 3? If it wasn't Tesla, I don't know anyone who would put up with such a kind of behaviour/experience.

Add to that all the unnecessary negative press Elon currently produces all by himself (Pedogate, Rogan-disaster, seeming unable to keep his sanity) and the fluctuation of important personnel in recent months and you have got the perfect recipe for a tanking stock and an uncertain future.

Up to now I was never in doubt about Tesla eventually becoming successfull and profitable. I am not so sure anymore.
Certainly NOT loving it!

Then you're seeing evidence that is contrary to your investment thesis. Whether that evidence is strong enough to change your investment decision is the next choice ahead of you.

I notice that you list your location as Germany. I don't have any other knowledge of you than that, but I can tell you that my own experience in Portland, OR is very different. Model 3's are showing up everywhere. The few M3 owners are new Tesla owners, and they've got that huge wide grin that I first got back in 2013. They're loving the car, loving the experience.

Somebody said, in our local Tesla Owners facebook group, that the local service center is delivering 20 Model 3's here in Portland -- now I can't remember if it's daily or weekly. Either way, there are new Tesla owners with new Model 3's springing up like rabbits here. I'm seeing them on the road constantly now.

Of course, that's anecdote. Nonetheless, my personal experience is reinforcing my investment thesis and belief where the company is at. Your months behind production goals, is my years ahead of anybody else's intent (whether the anybody else will meet that intent or not is unknown until they do it, or the time elapses). And I still consider Model 3 to be a full year ahead of the original intent - the original plan didn't survive taking so many reservations the first day, and then seeing them continue to pour in.

The QC and customer service issues are tied to the number 1 issue I see for the company today, and I agree that someday it could be the difference between Tesla being the biggest automaker or a boutique automaker. They will have to get it together.

But it really doesn't change anything strategic, today. Because demand is so high, they sell everything they make. And that demand is so high because what they build is so far ahead of what anybody else is making, it's scarcely fathomable. It's closer to the difference between the first cars and the very best buggies for horses to pull, than it is to this year's variation on any car and last year's variation on the same car. In the latter case, the QC and customer service is likely to be the difference in what gets chosen. In the former case, QC and customer service on the very best buggies wasn't going to save them from the advent of cars.

(And I expect Tesla will fix the QC. As a vehicle owner, I want the best of QC and service. As a shareholder, I can separate it and realize that it needs to be good enough - if vehicles didn't run at all, and people couldn't get them fixed, then I would expect that to start showing up in the demand, and that becomes a strategic issue. I don't see evidence of that)

Can someone explain to me why Elon calls burning oil an experiment. I’ve heard it from him many times and I’ve always wondered. It has a utilitarian value, it’s not like we are really burning all the oil to just see what happens. It seems to me it’s like saying building a house is an experiment, wearing clothes, or making metal objects. Thanks.

The experiment is continuing to burn massive quantities of fossil fuels globally despite evidence of its detrimental environmental effects because you want to see for yourself that it’ll ruin the environment. At that point it’s too late and damage irreparable...when you could have simply used renewable energy many years prior (while creating thousands of new jobs).

You actually think Joe I’m dumb as a bag of hammers Rogan got one over on Elon? Joe Rogan is many things but a bully he is not. He is just a dimwit and a pothead, people get high on the show all the time.
I watched the entire thing and thought Rogan was meh. He talked way to much and doesn’t have a clue how to get his guest to talk. Too bad it wasn’t Stern that got two plus hours of Musk’s time.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Somebody said, in our local Tesla Owners facebook group, that the local service center is delivering 20 Model 3's here in Portland

The Bellevue SC reported to me that they were delivering 5 an hour on the day of my delivery which was a Friday.

The largest number of employees seemed to be the detailers trying to keep up.

To say it was a mad house is putting it lightly.

Almost as crazy as a Washington State Subaru Dealer.

Some stats for the JRE/Musk Youtube video:
02:30 am PDT, Sun Sep 9, 2018

6,825,456 (6.8M) views
Getting ~1,000/min for last 5 min
209K Like-votes
4.3K down-votes
Online about 50 hrs
Currently No. 3 JRE most-viewed
No. 1 has 7.5M views, 1.5 yrs old

Nice result. The legend of Elon grows.
Now also available on vimeo.com
:cool:

Last edited:
He said the next three to six months would be the most difficult in his life. He is nothing if not straightforward.

this has been bothering me. why the 3-6 lag between worst days for tesla being over and worst days for him being over? dangerous to speculate but i had some ideas. am i overthinking?

Last edited:
this has been bothering me. why the 3-6 lag between worst days for tesla being over and worst days for him being over? dangerous to speculate but i had some ideas. am i overthinking?

I think he meant personal pressure due to lawsuits/negativity, not pressure on Tesla. I mean, wouldn't it bother you if there was even the slightest possibility of going to jail or being forced out of your company?

I thought the interview went pretty well, and hell the smoking weed thing probably endeared Elon to the younger generation. (Future buyers)

This is coming from someone who thought his MBKHD interview didn't come off too well. There I think Elon seemed like he hadn't slept for four days and had eleven cups of coffee to compensate.

The type of people who were "shocked" by him taking a puff (Then saying he doesn't really care for it) are probably baby boomer types who are too busy racking up debt for their children to repay.

You’re right. I mean, in the same vein, building mega cities are experiments. Not allowing forest fires to burn is an experiment.

Fossil fuels have massive utilitarian value. What Elon means is that we don’t know what bad catastrophic effect increasing co2 will have. Of course, if could have no catastrophic effect, but that’s the nature of an unknown, an experiment.

At least Elon has viable solutions and is actually implementing them. He is singlehandedly converting our transport infrastructure to electric. Even if you don’t think increasing co2 will be catastrophic, that’s a huge positive good in itself for other reasons. Too bad his Solarcity idea got derailed for a bit by financial shortsellers. Solar roofs just won’t be cheap enough to make anywhere near a dent in fossil fuel consumption as cheap Solarcity installs did.

Anyways, the way Elon phrases it, as an experiment, is just an example of his intellectual honesty. Unlike most climate change zealots (meaning most people reading this post, I think), Elon knows that we don’t know what will happen if we continue to pump co2 into the atmosphere, maybe something bad will happen, maybe it won’t, but it is foolish to do something so irreversible when we don’t know the outcome (and it probably isn’t even irreversible since the world appears to be getting greener due to the increase in co2).

Elon well knows that this is a weak argument for radically changing our transport infrastructure. Using that logic, we should ban all progress since we don’t absolutely know the future effects of anything. But weak argument or not, that’s as far as his scientist mind is willing to go, and I applaud his intellectual honesty.

• Love
Reactions: Electroman
Pretty creative painter. Wonder how hard it would be to get this printed and framed.. Add a Che Guevara Beret and Cigar and this will go viral...

cuba-0020.jpg

TP3-Che-Guevara-textile-poster.jpg

wwew25cj34l11.jpg

Last edited:
watching the interview. Half hour to go and I can’t get past the idea that this seems like Joe Rogan actually setup Elon to intentionally ruin his reputation and hurt Tesla as a result. First of all he messes up Elon’s judgement early by offering him whisky multiple times. Then after a couple drinks at some point he makes a remark to Elon about how “mushrooms are cool” Almost goading him to agree on video. (Thankfully Elon Just responds “yeah they’re delicious”). Then finally at the end (I’ve heard. Haven’t gotten to that part yet) Joe gets him to try smoking a Marijuana laced cigar. This really really feels like Joe Rogan intentionally set up Elon with the hopes that he would fall for it, use drugs on video and ruin his reputation. What convinces me even more is that he seems capable of it because he strikes me as an In your face jerk/high school bully type.
You try to read too much between the lines. It was pretty obvious that the drugs topic will be discussed.

Try to watch other Rogan interviews with not MMA quests. The format of the interviews is open. and is not never warry of provoking or sensitive subjects. The only topic which is missing is SJW, and it's obviously not because Rogan didn't want to ask questions about.
This interview is not any different in structure from plenty of other Rogan interviews. They are never scripted in "normal" MM sense that is why they look often unpolished or "uncomfortable". lol

Last edited:
Reactions: JRP3
What the hell is SJW?

Nevermind, I found it:

Social Justice Warrior. A pejorative term for an individual who repeatedly and vehemently engages in arguments on social justice on the Internet, often in a shallow or not well-thought-out way, for the purpose of raising their own personal reputation. A social justice warrior, or SJW, does not necessarily strongly believe all that they say, or even care about the groups they are fighting on behalf of. They typically repeat points from whoever is the most popular blogger or commenter of the moment, hoping that they will "get SJ points" and become popular in return. They are very sure to adopt stances that are "correct" in their social circle.

The SJW's favorite activity of all is to dogpile. Their favorite websites to frequent are Livejournal and Tumblr. They do not have relevant favorite real-world places, because SJWs are primarily civil rights activists only online.

#1: A social justice warrior reads an essay about a form of internal misogyny where women and girls insult stereotypical feminine activities and characteristics in order to boost themselves over other women.

The SJW absorbs this and later complains in response to a Huffington Post article about a 10-year-old feminist's letter, because the 10-year-old called the color pink "prissy".

#2: Commnter: "I don't like getting manicures. It's too prissy."

SJW: "Oh my god, how ****ing dare you use that word, you disgusting sexist piece of *sugar*!"

Source: Urban Dictionary: SJW

Last edited:

I have a different take than the other explanations you got, and I don't know if it's Elon's take, but my guess is all the things you mention are "experiments" including building a house, wearing cloths and making metal objects. We're barely out of the jungle as a species. Everything we do is an experiment. We don't build homes like we did just 100 yeas ago, in the future we may cloth ourselves virtually with an app and particle arrangement changes, and metal objects could be out give the potential for lasers, that didn't exist just a short time back. That's how I think Elon's mind works (and never stops working) and oil, looking at it that way, is an experiment, that we all should readily admit brought us much further out of the jungle, gave us longer lives, better quality of life, better food availability, better housing, (all understatements) but now threatens to put us back into a different type of jungle (or the ones that survive) if we don't dial back this oil experiment, and steer us in another direction, given what science is telling us. We're just a higher primate with a large brain experimenting in all that we do and trying to figure out this thing called life. I hope Elons gets things a bit more straightened out in his mind, since he appears slightly tortured (but he's a billionaire who dates supermodels -- so I don't feel that bad for him.) We need more humans like him around. I also hope the rest of us humans use science to guide us, and not made up things like religion.

I can't wait to be able to order my 4th Model S Amazon Prime Style - hopefully by then they will just deliver it to the door... just like everything else in our home now (dog food, groceries, dry cleaning etc..)

If I never have to set foot insight a greasy sleazy "finance manager's" office again trying to get me to buy aftermarket everything..
Totally agree!! Autopilot delivery lol