Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk please make available "set position" feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there all,
I have a Tesla M3, and obviously all two... me and my wife, have the Tesla APP on the mobile phone.

The problem is that if I go somewhere and don't want to let my wife know... I can't do it now
cause she can see me on the Tesla APP position menu.

So in order to have more privacy, please make available a feature that I can use
in order to set my position where I want.

Thanks a lot
Denis

Hi there all,
I have a Tesla M3, and obviously all two... me and my wife, have the Tesla APP on the mobile phone.

The problem is that if I go somewhere and don't want to let my wife know... I can't do it now
cause she can see me on the Tesla APP position menu.

So in order to have more privacy, please make available a feature that I can use
in order to set my position where I want.

Thanks a lot
Denis

Sounds like you two are using the same owner's e-mail and password to access the app.

If you are the owner, the correct way is to grant access to your wife's e-mail to a specific Tesla(s) that you want.

That means you don't need to tell your wife your e-mail and password and you only need to know her e-mail without her password either.

If you grant her to access 1 Tesla, she can only access 1 with her own e-mail and her own password.

If you grant her to access 4 Tesla, she can only access those 4 with her own e-mail and her own password.

You can go to our Tesla Website Account Page to grant someone with an e-mail address up to 5 e-mail addresses.

Also, there's another option as @Watts_Up said, you can go to your car's screen, under

Safety & Security - > Allow Mobile Access

and turn the slider to off position.

Last edited:
I think that it's more complicated...
If my wife can't see anymore the position of the Tesla, obviously will ask me why...
So I can't simply block the position on the APP.
I think the only feature that can help it's a fake position.
Anyway thanks a lot for the answers... I didn't know that you can add 5 account to your Tesla account.

So now that I grant access to my wife, she can manage the Tesla APP with she's email ?
And she can see also the PowerWall batt on the APP ?
Better to make a test :)

Thanks all
Denis

...And she can see also the PowerWall batt on the APP ?

You need to click on each car (not the common Account page) to add an ADDITIONAL 5 different e-mails.

That means I am not sure that is the way for Energy products too because I don't have them.

...So now that I grant access to my wife, she can manage the Tesla APP with she's email ?...

Yes. Once you input their e-mails, they can log on the app with their own emails and passwords to monitor and control any cars that you put their e-mails on. They can drive off with cars without your password because they can use their own.

Last edited:
Reactions: denisj
I think that it's more complicated...
If my wife can't see anymore the position of the Tesla, obviously will ask me why...
So I can't simply block the position on the APP.
I think the only feature that can help it's a fake position.
Anyway thanks a lot for the answers... I didn't know that you can add 5 account to your Tesla account.

So now that I grant access to my wife, she can manage the Tesla APP with she's email ?
And she can see also the PowerWall batt on the APP ?
Better to make a test :)

Thanks all
Denis
Yes, the App will display:
"Mobile Access Disabled'
"To enable, go to Controls ... Mobile Access"​

It would be better to have the App hanging, like when you park in the basement of a building.
Using a metallic car cover could also provide a Faraday shield.

Also Supercharger locations used can be retrieved.... and Public chargers using the billing history.
May be it's a good time to get a folding bike or a OneWheel skateboard that you can have in your trunk or frunk.

Using a Bus or any public transportation is another option, if you can buy tickets with cash.
However any “ridesharing” (Uber, Lyft), “car sharing” (Zipcar, car2go), bikesharing (Capital Bikeshare) require using a credit card...

Note: Having a gym membership could be a good excuse for not be at home...

And a good advice is to have your 'partner' sitting in the rear seat, in case you pass a red light and receive the picture at home.

Last edited:
This sounds more like a marriage advice column, but I think the solution is for you to have a talk with your wife and explain that feel uncomfortable with big brother spying on your every move, even though of course neither of you would do anything that would be untrustworthy. It's more the principle of it. And therefore, you will be disabling location tracking in the car 100% of the time. That way there is no suspicious "on" and "off" times. The car will simply NEVER report its location.

This sounds more like a marriage advice column, but I think the solution is for you to have a talk with your wife
and explain that feel uncomfortable with big brother spying on your every move, even though of course neither
of you would do anything that would be untrustworthy. It's more the principle of it.
And therefore, you will be disabling location tracking in the car 100% of the time.
That way there is no suspicious "on" and "off" times. The car will simply NEVER report its location.
Set the car in 'Service Mode', case closed.

Reactions: denisj
upload_2020-6-17_17-40-15.png

I think will be M1 :)

Denis

I noticed that Tesla recently added a new Car Access feature to add a new driver using only an e-mail without creating a Tesla account:

What is Car Access?
Car Access allows you to add and remove access permission for an additional driver.
You can add and remove additional drivers at any time from your Tesla Account.
Which permissions will my additional driver have?
Your additional driver will have access to all Tesla app features
except requesting Roadside Assistance and purchasing Upgrades.​

After adding a new driver, you then receive the following e-mail:

Driver Access Granted
xxxx has access to Model S/3/X/Y.
They can start, lock, unlock and locate your car through the Tesla app.
You can remove their access through your Tesla account.​

Note: Beside getting access to the Tesla App, the new driver can also access all the information saved to the internal car Display.
The new user should be able to use the Navigation, but should not have access to any of the owner location information.
Especially if the purpose of the 'Car Access' is to have::Tesla's new feature gives car access to another driver — like a robotaxi

Reactions: denisj and Tam
This sounds more like a marriage advice column, but I think the solution is for you to have a talk with your wife and explain that feel uncomfortable with big brother spying on your every move, even though of course neither of you would do anything that would be untrustworthy. It's more the principle of it. And therefore, you will be disabling location tracking in the car 100% of the time. That way there is no suspicious "on" and "off" times. The car will simply NEVER report its location.

The original poster will still need to NOT use in car navigation since that has destination history.