Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I switch Driver Profile from Mobile app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I switch Driver Profile from Mobile app? I don't see any option to do this. My wife is considerably shorter than I am, and after she drives the car I have to manually slide the seat back just to get into the car so I can select my profile from the touchscreen! It'd be nice to select my profile from the house BEFORE going to the car so it's set and I can actually get into the car! ;-)

I'm probably missing something simple, please point me in the right direction, thanks!

Meant to add that the user manual references "Controls > Settings > Driver Profiles" which isn't shown on either the touchscreen or mobile app. I'm assuming this has changed since the users guide was written?

Documentation for any software inevitably changes with the first software upgrade and I'm sure it's no different here, so not a big surprise.

Upvote 0
And another thing.... ;-)

Driver Profiles are part of the "Tech Package" so I'm assuming I have that package. Also part of the Tech Package is Passive Entry, specifically presenting handles w/o having to push the handle. The manual references "Controls > Settings > Vehicle > Auto-Present Handles > On" which is also not displayed on the touchscreen or mobile app. I'm working on a possible wiring issue for this now but am concerned about the lack of these menu options. This is a MS with v11.0 (2022.8.10.16) software which a mobile tech thought was correct for my car considering I have MCU1.

Upvote 0
Driver Profiles are part of the "Tech Package" so I'm assuming I have that package. Also part of the Tech Package is Passive Entry, specifically presenting handles w/o having to push the handle. The manual references "Controls > Settings > Vehicle > Auto-Present Handles > On" which is also not displayed on the touchscreen or mobile app.
Sounds like you don't have the "Tech Package" to me. Do you have the ability to use the navigation system? (I think that is part of the "Tech Package" as well.)

But in any case, no, changing the profile from the app isn't an option. At least on newer vehicles you can associate the key/fob with a profile and it will automatically switch profiles when you get in the car, but I'm not sure if that option is available on a Model S as old as yours, even if it had the "Tech Package."

Upvote 0
You can link a driver profile to a key (or keys) to allow Model S to automatically select the correct driver profile when the linked key is detected as you approach the vehicle and open the driver's door. To link a driver profile to a key, first ensure you are using your desired driver profile, then touch Controls > Locks > Keys. You can toggle the driver icon to link or delete a key to the desired driver profile. The name of the driver profile appears under the key to show that it is linked.

Upvote 0
Set her profile to use ‘easy entry’ and put easy entry seat settings near your profile’s settings.

You can link a driver profile to a key (or keys) to allow Model S to automatically select the correct driver profile when the linked key is detected as you approach the vehicle and open the driver's door.
I think you are both missing that it appears the vehicle is a 2014 Model S 40, that was upgrade to a 60, without the "Tech Package." So, it doesn't even have the option to create profiles.

Here is a list of features that are in the "Tech Package" that this vehicle likely doesn't have:
  • Turn-by-Turn navigation Maps with free updates for 7 years
  • Automatic keyless entry / door handles pop out when approaching the vehicle
  • Rearview camera in HD
  • Illuminated door handles
  • Front Xenon light
  • LED front bend lighting
  • Front fog lights
  • power tailgate
  • Automatic dimming mirrors
  • Automatic, heated side mirrors
  • GPS-controlled Homelink function (garage door opening)
  • Seats, mirrors and driver profile with memory function
  • Chrome element on the rear bumper
Is there really no rearview camera? Or is it just a low-res version?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sounds like you don't have the "Tech Package" to me. Do you have the ability to use the navigation system? (I think that is part of the "Tech Package" as well.)

But in any case, no, changing the profile from the app isn't an option. At least on newer vehicles you can associate the key/fob with a profile and it will automatically switch profiles when you get in the car, but I'm not sure if that option is available on a Model S as old as yours, even if it had the "Tech Package."
Yeah, I'll ping Tesla to confirm if I have the tech package or not. Seems like I have some of the features but maybe not all. Key cards don't appear to be supported on models before 2021 but I have 1 fob and a second arriving tomorrow. Not sure how to associate a profile with a fob or if thats even supported with my old MS. Ill research it, it's not a big deal, just seems like it'd be a nice feature to add to the mobile app.

Upvote 0
I think only Tesla, or a hacker, can add another fob to your car, it isn't self-service like on current Teslas, so when you make the service appointment for that you can ask them about the Tech Package.
From what I've read, the car originally would have come with two fobs so I should be ok, other than I bought it off OfferUp and I've read varying posts on whether or not the local service center will program it and what that may cost.

Upvote 0