Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk vs. Short sellers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@jesselivenomore fascinating series of posts. Correct me if I’m wrong but this is how I’m understanding it. Basically, the strategy is to pile on a big short position during time of company weakness/mishaps, and engage in comprehensive information/propaganda campaign to discredit company so as to shut company out of debt markets. Thus, making it extremely difficult for company to survive. And as company spirals down to bankruptcy, one becomes very rich. Rinse, repeat for the next company.

Self-fulfilling prophecy

This is not the case for every company. If McDonalds were shut off from the debt markets and capital markets, it would not matter because they have a sizable cash horde and positive cash flow. No matter the amount of fear generated in the markets, there is no "bank" to run-on.

This is why short sellers like Jim Chanos target financial and insurance companies, they are beholden to the capital markets, and in his own words, once you create a "crisis of confidence", the story plays itself out. Fairfax was this way. Solarcity, due to its financial model, was this way.

Tesla is this way as well, for now.

The day that Tesla announced the Gigafactory, in a way, it became like a financial company. This is because from then on they were tied to years of capital expenses without any immediate return. To expand the company on top of that, while developing and tooling up for the Model X, Tesla Energy, service centers and superchargers, while all this was paid for only by the Model S. The company cannot possibly fund this on its own, so it has been depending on the capital markets since. The day after announcing the Gigafactory, TSLA hit $265. I don't think it is a coincidence that it spent the next three years largely below this level with only two brief stints up to $280s. I also don't think it was a coincidence that only after 1/4/17 when Tesla announced that the Gigafactory was finally online did share price eventually break through to a higher range. (there were other factors including Tencent investment and anticipation for Model 3).

However, due to Model 3 delays, and the enormous costs associated with ramping, Tesla arrived at a "cash valley" right before Model 3 really ramps up. When you exacerbate this with the Moody's downgrade and shutting off the debt markets, Tesla once again is at a precarious position where self-fulfilling prophecies can come true. I became extremely cautious because I've seen this movie before when a ratings downgrade leads to a liquidity event, which was exactly the intent here.

A little background: I am a trader for a living and often use something called an analog as a tool. It is a comparison of two charts that mirror eachother. The idea is that stock movement is largely emotion driven in the short run, and if you can match two charts it may represent a similar set of emotions during those separate times, therefore leading to similar outcomes.

Probably what spooked me the most was this analog that I found:

Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 3.35.53 PM.png

Not only was Tesla trading in an similar overall shape to Solarcity did before it collapsed, the most recent candles after support was broken were near identical. I discovered this before reading the excerpt from The Divde and suspected that short sellers were using similar tactics on Tesla as they did when they broke Solarcity. After reading it, I can say with near certainty that it is the case.

I truly suspect/fear that if Tesla had made a turn lower after that last weekly bar it would have represented the bull narrative crumbling and the bear narrative taking on a life of its own - a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It DID NOT.

last post coming: why the sudden urgency for profitability, job cuts, breaking free - pretty self explanatory at this point

Last edited:
Initially, it made me a bit uncomfortable whenever he engaged short sellers. Again, focus on running the company and share price will follow. However, in recent weeks I came upon an excerpt from The Divide: American Injustice in the Age of the Wealth Gap that was posted here on TMC that radically changed my view. I've attached this excerpt and strongly encourage any longs to read it, because it will give you newfound perspective on the events surrounding Tesla.
This is great! Thanks for giving the fairfax excerpt I originally posted, the much needed visibility and context as it relates to TSLA.

Pardon my ignorance, but if one has accumulated a certain % of a company's shares, they have to file a notice with the SEC and be publicly disclosed, like when Tencent bought into TSLA.

Does something similar exist for shorts, if you are short a certain percentage of shares? If not, isn't that a oversight to not have someone who holds a large position whether it is long or short, to be publicly disclosed?

Moody's

Hopefully by now you have read the transcript linked in the OP. If so, you understand the depth that these people will go to. You understand that analyst reports are circulated before they come out for them to front run. You understand the rating agencies are mentioned by name. But you also have to understand, Fairfax Financial was a relative unknown midsize firm from Canada. Tesla's short interest is the largest in the entire US stock market. What is at stake now is profoundly greater, what about the methods? Of course I can't know that for sure. But what we do know:

View attachment 310863

After the close on 3/27, Moody's downgraded Tesla's debt to B3, senior notes to Caa1, with outlook negative.

Before this happened, during the trading session on 3/27 Tesla was down $25 on double the average volume. In the prior 11 trading days, Tesla was down 10. Note that the stock market as a whole was also down during this period, but not to this extent and especially less so on 3/27.

The rationale behind Moody's downgrade:

Tesla's ratings reflect the significant shortfall in the production rate of the company's Model 3 electric vehicle. The company also faces liquidity pressures due to its large negative free cash flow and the pending maturities of convertible bonds ($230 million in November 2018 and $920 million in March 2019). Tesla produced only 2,425 Model 3s during the fourth quarter of 2017; it is currently targeting a weekly production rate of 2,500 by the end of March, and 5,000 per week by the end of June. This compares with the company's year-earlier production expectations of 5,000 per week by the end of 2017 and 10,000 by the end of 2018.

The negative outlook reflects the likelihood that Tesla will have to undertake a large, near-term capital raise in order to refund maturing obligations and avoid a liquidity short-fall. Prospects for addressing its liquidity requirements (whether equity, convertible notes or debt) will be supported if the company can establish credibility for reaching Model 3 production levels -- 2,500 per week by the end of March, and 5,000 per week by the end of June.

So the crux of the downgrade and especially the negative outlook revolved around the uncertainty of Tesla's production rate. It was stated that this could be alleviated if Tesla could hit its production targets by the end of March. Those precise production targets were set to be updated the very next week. Moody's could have waited less than one week to confirm their projections in order to make a more informed judgment, yet for some reason they did not, and was determined to get this downgrade out.

The fallout after Moody's downgrade:

Tesla bond price plummeted to 87 cents on the dollar, while yields approached 8%. Just a few short months before this, Tesla sold these bonds paying 5.3%. At these new prohibitive rates, Tesla was essentially shut out of the debt markets. This was happening precisely during Tesla's cash "valley" before Model 3 ramps up. There was talk of a liquidity crisis, while JP Morgan started peddling Tesla "crash puts" below $100. JPMorgan Recommends Tesla ‘Crash Puts’ With Tail Risk Rising

I did not have a position in Tesla at this time, and I did not yet read the excerpt in the OP. I am not sure if my reaction would have changed much if I had. I consider myself a conservative bull, and after reading this news I became more cautious on Tesla than ever before. I understood that nothing has changed with Tesla the company, but there are many things outside of Tesla's control. Markets create a narrative and it takes on a life of it's own, especially when it comes to liquidity issues. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy*. These were my own words of warning to a fellow TMC user through private message before I had read The Divide, so I understood too well when I finally came upon it.

*will expand on this*

Your effort is solid but this post essentially states "Tesla bonds were downgraded because Tesla missed the production guidance by over 90%, and that guidance was used for its credit rating"

I mean, i have no idea how you can complain about that

Pardon my ignorance, but if one has accumulated a certain % of a company's shares, they have to file a notice with the SEC and be publicly disclosed, like when Tencent bought into TSLA.

Does something similar exist for shorts, if you are short a certain percentage of shares? If not, isn't that a oversight to not have someone who holds a large position whether it is long or short, to be publicly disclosed?

No, there isn't an equivalent regulation for shorts because they don't own shares. This is a significant problem in cases like these when shorting is meant to drive down the price. Mandatory Morning Dip (MMD) anyone?

I get it, the stock is up, im still posting and commenting and trying to add insight and absorbing all reasons possible as to why i might be wrong.

If the stock turns, i will be interested to see how many of you never show up again.

ok, you say they’re doomed as a company. do you have an explanation, or narrative as to how this will unfold, and a timeline? id like to hear something other than the ever changing narrative that you hear in the media. i mean it’s happened to companies before, so anything’s possible. but i’d like to hear something other than just the usual buzz. if you have it, let us hear it. thank you.

Worth noting that just before the Moody's downgrade, someone(s) bought an enormous amount of way-OTM April 250 puts starting a couple weeks before the event and continuing right up to the day before. (from my trading notes)

TSLA BEARISH WISEGUY ACTION: Apr 250 PUTS $504k BET OPENING FANG,OI PHLX-TRADE TSLA=334.12 Ref 0.7x Usual Vol
(About 4000 contracts)

Happened at this point on 3/14/18: (note red line at bottom - IV began to spike)
tsla-3.14.18-144t-4.png

Here's the chart for the April 250p that day - almost 7k contracts bought in about an hour.
tsla-3.14.18-apr250p.png

Seemed insane at the time, but time would eventually show that buyer knew something was going down.

But it didn't stop there. The next day ~5000 more contracts were bought. By 3/23/18, the open interest for April $250 puts was 14,518, and on 3/26/18, about 10,000 more were bought to open, when TSLA was at ~$300, along with 4,000 May $250 puts.

It's worth noting that putting these positions on before a huge selloff serves to accelerate the downward momentum, as the other party in the transaction (a market maker selling you the puts) must re-hedge their position constantly as the price sinks - they do this for puts they sold by selling (shorting) shares of the underlying - TSLA in this case. The shorter the time to expiration - in this case less than a month, the more shares must be shorted as price drops to remain delta neutral.

The primary point of this post is that April $250 put trade only made sense if the person buying those knew something was coming in the very near future that would plunge the stock below the major support at that time, around $290-300. Otherwise it's gambling with millions of dollars - and a far, far riskier version than that played by our resident bears here that own puts that expire in 2019 or 2020.

The outcome for that guy? A couple days after the Moody's downgrade, he rolled half his April $250 puts to May $250 puts, then sold those sometime before 4/3/2018. Likely made somewhere in excess of $10 million from an initial bet of $1-2 million, and did it in 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Worth noting that just before the Moody's downgrade, someone(s) bought an enormous amount of way-OTM April 250 puts starting a couple weeks before the event and continuing right up to the day before. (from my trading notes)

(About 4000 contracts)

Happened at this point on 3/14/18: (note red line at bottom - IV began to spike)
View attachment 310899

Here's the chart for the April 250p that day - almost 7k contracts bought in about an hour.
View attachment 310900

Seemed insane at the time, but time would eventually show that buyer knew something was going down.

But it didn't stop there. The next day ~5000 more contracts were bought. By 3/23/18, the open interest for April $250 puts was 14,518, and on 3/26/18, about 10,000 more were bought to open, when TSLA was at ~$300, along with 4,000 May $250 puts.

It's worth noting that putting these positions on before a huge selloff serves to accelerate the downward momentum, as the other party in the transaction (a market maker selling you the puts) must re-hedge their position constantly as the price sinks - they do this for puts they sold by selling (shorting) shares of the underlying - TSLA in this case. The shorter the time to expiration - in this case less than a month, the more shares must be shorted as price drops to remain delta neutral.

The primary point of this post is that April $250 put trade only made sense if the person buying those knew something was coming in the very near future that would plunge the stock below the major support at that time, around $290-300. Otherwise it's gambling with millions of dollars - and a far, far riskier version than that played by our resident bears here that own puts that expire in 2019 or 2020.

The outcome for that guy? A couple days after the Moody's downgrade, he rolled half his April $250 puts to May $250 puts, then sold those sometime before 4/3/2018. Likely made somewhere in excess of $10 million from an initial bet of $1-2 million, and did it in 2 weeks.

Fantastic analysis zdriver! How is the SEC not investigating this?!

Ok, @zmarty @johnnybgood888 @EinSV

Why are you disagreeing with the article that Musk agreed with:
Elon Musk on Twitter

It is pertinent to the topic and the only thing I wondered about myself is why 3 weeks. I am not a short, in fact I have a small $10k position, so all this disagreeing seems rude. Is this a signature treatment for new guests in the Investor Discussions? A sign of intolerance if a praise is not sung right on the entrance?

Ok, @zmarty @johnnybgood888 @EinSV

Why are you disagreeing with the article that Musk agreed with:
Elon Musk on Twitter

It is pertinent to the topic and the only thing I wondered about myself is why 3 weeks. I am not a short, in fact I have a small $10k position, so all this disagreeing seems rude. Is this a signature treatment for new guests in the Investor Discussions? A sign of intolerance if a praise is not sung right on the entrance?

We are not disagreeing with the article. See the post just below yours.

Fantastic analysis zdriver! How is the SEC not investigating this?!

To be frank, it's probably not even on their radar. They've not only got bigger fish to fry, but I see this kind of thing happen literally every single day to all kinds of different stocks. The magnitude here raises an eyebrow, but it's by no means isolated to TSLA.

I am going to ignore the false pretense that Musk is truly out to save the planet
OK, that does it, you're blocked. And you should be banned. You know better.

Musk has made it 100% clear what his goal is: to save humanity from extinction, because as he said, he doesn't want the future to be sad. He even opened one of the biggest press events for Tesla with... a rather dry lecture about CO2 emissions and global warming. Which is not what you'd do if you had any other goal.

It is perhaps plausible to think that Musk is crazy (really, is colonizing Mars a practical way of preventing human extinction? perhaps not), or even that he's being dishonest in pursuit of this goal (ends justify the means) -- but the goal is not disputable by anyone who's ever paid any attention to him whatsoever.

It does not have to be disclosed and yes, this is a loophole about which people have complained in the past.