Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: One-time FSD transfers for purchases in Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, MAN! This is awesome! I was about to buy a Model Y but had been really turned off at the idea of having to spend $15,000 for what I paid $6,000 for in 2019. So I figured I would get the $6,000 EAP on the new Y and be almost where I'd want to be. But now I get it all, and don't even have to spend the $6,000 on EAP! THANK YOU, ELON! I'm buying my new Y right away!

Ok...extremely theoretical and improbable scenario here, but it's a fun one. Hear me out...

You do the FSD transfer
...5 years later...
Tesla makes some sort of camera/radar/FSD computer breakthrough on AP4.
It goes to Level 5 (aka: real FSD)
The price of FSD is now $50k+
You can't sell your car with FSD attached because you took this deal
Trade in value of M3/Y $20-25k (5 years later)
Others with FSD can sell to robotaxi fleets for $60k+
I would be salty to say the least

Again, completely outrageous and improbable (since this car probably never see L4/5). Just fun to talk about.
Just buy a lotto ticket since the odds are WAY better that any HW4 making L5 EVER. 🤣 🤣 🤣

So, while Virginia doesn't give credit for trade-ins, at least you don't have to pay 10% of the value of the car to register it.
Wow, that's a lot!

I mentioned Virginia's personal property tax. Big bucks there. Last year, despite the county dropping the rate for my 2020 MY, I paid almost $2000. This hated tax is paid every year you own the car, on 100% of the assessed value. So while you might pay 10% on purchase (I see your breakdown includes car and a yearly tax), it is a slow drip and bleed in Virginia at a higher yearly tax rate.

Last edited:
I purchased EAP first and added FSD later, so I didn’t assume both would transfer until the Tesla agent confirmed that. But since I purchased FSD after delivery, I’m not eligible for the transfer according to that agent. If anyone else who purchased FSD after delivery is able to transfer FSD, please let us know.
I purchased my 2017 Model S with EAP. I then upgraded to FSD a couple of years later. Yesterday I transferred the FSD to my new car. The old car was downgraded to Standard Autopilot (which, by the way, wasn’t even an option back in 2017).

Wow, that's a lot!

I mentioned Virginia's personal property tax. Big bucks there. Last year, despite the county dropping the rate for my 2020 MY, I paid almost $2000. This hated tax is paid every year you own the car. So while you might pay 10% on purchase, it is a slow drip and bleed in Virginia.
Wow, and I thought Illinois was tough on Taxes. Yikes

Question to those who took the FSD transfer offer. Are you doing it knowing that FSD won't transfer with the new car when you sell it in the future? Or did you find out that clause #4 in the T&C is wrong and you will be able to sell the car with FSD in the future? Or are you not sure and don't care?

I am not 100% clear on whether the FSD on my new car is going to be transferable to the next owner or to my next car (those rules may change overtime), but my decision to take advantage of this FSD Transfer offer wouldn’t depend on that.

Reactions: johnny_cakes
Was just texting with the local sales person. I asked about the trade in value of my 3 if I transfer FSD. Her response, which seems to contradict everything I have previously read: "FSD does not affect the trade in value. It does not add or take away value as it is a software."

I have a 2020 MY and am seriously considering this because I only have 1 year left on the regular warranty. But also, I like FSD and newer cars have the better hardware.

Should I go X or S, or just trade in for a newer Y? I tried an S but it didn't have FSD so it was impossible to test HW4. The acceleration was wild though even though it wasn't a plaid.

I'm surprised people are ordering so soon.

Delivery dates now are July/August. We know Tesla doesn't have model years and make changes as they go so I'd prefer to wait and get a MY built later rather than sooner on the small chance there will be improvements. When I stated this to the sales advisor they suggested I just wait until delivery dates move into September before ordering. We know the factory line upgrade is likely focused on Highland but what if Tesla also makes changes to the MY line? I'd be unhappy to find out I got a car in August only to find out a car built a month later had improvements. I know it's unlikely but I'm in no hurry to order anyway. Can anyone think of a risk besides the good chance trade in values will go down as used cars flood the market. For me I don't care about that even if it costs me money which I'm sure is the exception.

Exactly that is the question I have.If I sold my 2020 model x to private party than two things should happen.
1.I will get beta FSD transferred to my new model x and I save15 k.
2.Private party will not have beta FSD on sold model x but will have at least enhanced autopilot.

Now my understanding is that I should still have the ownership of old model x when I request transfer to new model x.
I also need to be honest to private party and tell them that that they will be getting model x without beta FSD but should have EAP.If they want beta FSD than they have to buy or subscribe it.
Any comments.Am I correct in what I stated above.

Exactly that is the question I have.If I sold my 2020 model x to private party than two things should happen.
1.I will get beta FSD transferred to my new model x and I save15 k.
2.Private party will not have beta FSD on sold model x but will have at least enhanced autopilot.

Now my understanding is that I should still have the ownership of old model x when I request transfer to new model x.
I also need to be honest to private party and tell them that that they will be getting model x without beta FSD but should have EAP.If they want beta FSD than they have to buy or subscribe it.
Any comments.Am I correct in what I stated above.
They will only have Standard autopilot. Nothing else unless they subscribe for it. The transfer has to be made while it is titled to you. My adviser detailed this out to me on visit.