Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: One-time FSD transfers for purchases in Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm already past the 50K mile (non-drivetrain) warranty period on my 22 MYLR that I paid 10K for FSD on 21 months ago, and the feature is still not delivered.

I have no intent to trade in my car anytime soon (maybe closer to the 100k mark). Does me no good.

I wouldn't have bought the package in the first place if I hadn't naively bought into the marketing hype that was floating around at the time that it was coming very soon (even the sales advisor was pushing it on such terms, as we're many Elon quotes, but I wasn't deep in the Tesla community weeds back then).

I enjoy testing the software anyways, and I'm looking forward to the real thing existing on some future Tesla of mine, but I'm still annoyed at being duped into spending 10K on it, and I certainly wouldn't purchase it again until it's fully working. Paying to be a long term tester with no end in sight is kind of insane. They should be paying me.

IMHO, until they finally release real FSD, they should at minimum be offering free transfers on Tesla upgrade trade-ins, and refunds to anyone who decides to dump the feature while keeping the car, and not limited to one specific quarter. Even then some will get mostly-shafted if they hang in there and it ends up being released well past the halfway point of their ownership and use of the car.

Last edited:
Great deal for anyone who got FSD early for $2-3K

I hate it when people say this. No one got it for 2-3k because it had a pre requisite purchase of Enhanced autopilot for 5k back then. So at least be accurate and say "great deal for anyone who got FSD early for a cost of 8k, or 7k during a specific 4 week time frame between march and april of 2019.

I hate it when people say this. No one got it for 2-3k because it had a pre requisite purchase of Enhanced autopilot for 5k back then. So at least be accurate and say "great deal for anyone who got FSD early for a cost of 8k, or 7k during a specific 4 week time frame between march and april of 2019.
my though exactly, there was no such thing as FSD for 2-3k
It was EAP for $5k and FSD for an additional $3k on top of EAP. Then they had the firesale where the addition was $2k but still on top of the EAP cost.

I have a 2018 M3 I bought used that came with EAP. I’ve been thinking about buying a new Model 3 or Y but never pulled the tigger and only made offers on used Model 3 and Ys that had either EAP or FSD.

However… This is catching my attention and making me wonder about the logistics of either:
Transferring EAP to a new Model 3 or Y from my current car, OR buying the cheapest Tesla with FSD just to sell and transfer FSD over to a new car. Would this work?

One major issue is… If this requires trading the car in to Tesla, the trade in offers from Tesla are horrendous.

-Paul

Last edited:
my though exactly, there was no such thing as FSD for 2-3k
It was EAP for $5k and FSD for an additional $3k on top of EAP. Then they had the firesale where the addition was $2k but still on top of the EAP cost.
If you didn’t already have EAP, you could have bought EAP and FSD together for $5,000 USD during that period.

Elon just announced on the earnings call that they will allow a one time transfer of FSD for those who already have it and purchase a new car in Q3 only.
Yeah, No thank you !, not falling for this crap no more.. Deliver the promised features for my car or refund the current going rate for the features sold for the trouble.!.

This apparently is the official quote:

“We are excited to announce for Q3 we will be allowing transfer of FSD. This is a one time amnesty, you need to take advantage of it in Q3, or at least place the order in Q3 within reasonable delivery timeframes. I hope this makes people happy, it’s a one time thing, we aren’t doing it again,” Musk said.
Source: Tesla to allow owners to transfer FSD, but only for a limited time

I bought a used M3 with FSD earlier this year. I've tried really hard to like FSD, but it causes more stress than it's worth, so I won't be taking advantage of this one time transfer offer.

Of course this offer comes one month after I traded in my 2020 Model 3 w/FSD for a Model Y without it. I did get some bump on the trade from Tesla. They offered $3500 more than the best offer I could get from Carvana and the others I tried, perhaps because of FSD or the end of quarter push.

But I really didn’t use or enjoy FSD - at all. I’d never buy it again at any price. It was an interesting experiment, but not very useful.

Talk about a customer-first idea! This is amazing and I bet they will see a fairly good take rate especially any owners that have a 2020 car or older that have been eyeing a new car.
If it were really a customer-first idea, it wouldn't be limited to this quarter. The offer would stand for anyone who had ever purchased FSD and wanted to trade in their car at any point until the L5 autonomy promise is realized.

Sounds more like a kick-in-the-balls short term sales boost to me. The fact that Elon says it's a "one-time offer of amnesty" really drives that point home. "We're sorry for misleading you, but not really that sorry."