Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Private Seller Purchase with FSD - Guarantee they aren’t doing one FSD one-time transfer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

winnie408

Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2023
Los Angeles
Hi - we’re purchasing a Tesla with FSD paid by original owner. How do you know or is there a way to check / guarantee that the seller hasn’t already started the process or isn’t just going to transfer the FSD for the new one-time FSD transfer that Elon is offering once we buy it? It says that they will not do the remove capability from old car until up to 1 week before new car delivery. So what stops someone from processing the transfer / making you think you’re getting an FSD vehicle and not telling you about it?

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I agree, written contract, written contract, written contract. Make sure FSD is explicitly listed. If they transfer it away after it being contractually sold to you it is basically a $15k theft.

And make sure it doesn't just say FSD computer or FSD Capability included.

OP is obviously aware enough but I wonder how many people are going to be screwed over by current Tesla owners who are just following Elon's screwing over of the 'uninformed' public by taking advantage of the deliberate confusion spread by using almost identical terms to mean vastly different things.

Actually the OP should make sure the contract lists the FSD Capability package as included in the sale since that is what was paid for, what can be transferred and what the OP wants.
Good catch.

OP you don't want FSD capability. I read your post that you are expecting the FSD Software not capability even though you used that word in your post.

Don't buy the car until you are absolutely assured the car has the software.

Most used Teslas now have the capability (i.e. hardware) to run in FSD mode . But only some came with full FSD Software loaded because the owner spent the $$$$ for it at time of purchase. Even that doesn't mean the car has FSDbeta but that will be the update stream the car is on so the car could be updated to include it without having to pay money to Tesla.

Do note that being in the FSD update stream means you won't have features non FSD cars currently have like customizable scroll wheel and a larger screen font option. Those may come when the two update streams are merged but that could be years from now. Or never. With Tesla there is never any certainty.

Good catch.

OP you don't want FSD capability. I read your post that you are expecting the FSD Software not capability even though you used that word in your post.....

No that IS what the FSD option package is named (FSD Capability) and what they want listed in the contract. Since this is what Tesla removes when you transfer.

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 11.59.45 AM.png

Reactions: ForMyDheslaY
I would probably state it as the "option of Full Self-Driving Capability as currently sold by Tesla as an add on option". I say that because of statements around talking about every car has the hardware for FSD Capability.

I am sure there will be a non 0 number people who end up getting screwed after buying a used Tesla with FSD.

Lol - thanks all! Yes the use of capability is so confusing with hardware! Yes they had the paid option when purchased new (shows as a $6k purchase) and shows “included in package” under FSD capability. It took me a long time before I understood all this terminology!!! Put everything into the contract though - seller seems super legit so that’s helpful but always better to be safe and figured some other people might wonder the same!

And make sure it doesn't just say FSD computer or FSD Capability included.

OP is obviously aware enough but I wonder how many people are going to be screwed over by current Tesla owners who are just following Elon's screwing over of the 'uninformed' public by taking advantage of the deliberate confusion spread by using almost identical terms to mean vastly different things.
I did the FSD transfer from my 2018 M3 to my 2023 MY, and sold my M3 to a 3rd party. I specified to the buyer it had the FSD capable computer and would be able to add FSD subscription, (unlike all 2018 M3s that didn't buy FSD capability at the start--they'd have to pay for the new computer,) but that it *would NOT come with FSD* because I was transferring it.

Worked just fine. Transparency for the win.

Reactions: jjrandorin