Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: One-time FSD transfers for purchases in Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not according to the agreement:

View attachment 961602

You have to still own the donor vehicle at the time of delivery of the new vehicle.
Perhaps that's in case your delivery doesn't go through for some reason?
Ok, you better check with the sales advisor then. My understanding was that once you transfer the license you can sell the car, but I might be wrong.
In my case it was a trade-in and all steps took place on the same day, so I can't confirm personally.

After you drove away in the new car, was FSD beta immediately available? Or did you have to qualify all over again?

Thanks
There is no longer any Safety Score qualification interval to obtain FSD beta. It has been made available to anyone who subscribes or purchases FSD Capability.

As long as the new car factory firmware includes FSD beta, which I think is usually the case at this point, I think you should be able to going to the menu and activate it right away.

I picked up my Y today and don’t have access to the FSD beta. (The transfer was successful but I can’t enable the Beta)

I’m on 2023.20.100.1

Anyone recently bought a Tesla and managed to enable the FSD?
According to TeslaFi, your software version does include FSD beta11.3.6.

Could you post a photo of the Autopilot menu screen?

I picked up my Y today and don’t have access to the FSD beta. (The transfer was successful but I can’t enable the Beta)

I’m on 2023.20.100.1

Anyone recently bought a Tesla and managed to enable the FSD?

You now have HW4 and it is not compatible with FSD Beta (11.3.6). You will have to wait until Tesla releases a newer 11.4.x version that is stable and included in current firmware.

Tesla's trade in estimator now shows this:

Includes transfer of your current trade-in vehicle's FSD capability at no cost to you if you take delivery of a new Tesla vehicle by September 30, 2023

And values have dropped by $4k-$5k compared to previous messaging that said "Includes value of Full Self-Driving".

Reactions: Ken43
On the day Elon announced the one-time FSD Transfer deal, I ordered my Blue Model Y and was super excited. As the date of delivery approached, things started going out of sync for me. I got a very low Tesla offer for my Trade-in which put me in a bind. My Order date and delivery date were less than 7 days apart. Wanted to share a few tips and some lessons learned-NOT financial advise, YMMV:

(1) The Trade-in offer Tesla made me for my 2.5 yo Red LR, AWD, 7-Seater, Premium Wheels Tesla Model Y with FSD (with all Glass tinted, full premium PPF Wrap plus Ceramic coating outside and on the Leather inside) was such that I would’ve owed my Bank close to $16,000. You may want to explore the possibility of selling your Tesla to a Private Party rather than trade-in with Tesla.

(2) The PPF and Cermic coating gets you Zero $. It is discounted 100% if you sell it to Tesla or a Company like CarMax (and I’m sure they will charge a premium to the next buyer for these features - and I’m positive they would’ve dropped the purchase price further if there were dings and stone chips on the body because there was no PPF!) Another reason why you may want to try to sell to a Private buyer.

(3) When you sell your Tesla to a third party, you will need to sell it with “no FSD” (if you plan to transfer the FSD from your current Tesla to a new one).

(4) You have to walk into the Delivery Center about 3-5 days before the delivery date to sign a piece of paper to transfer the FSD on your current Tesla for it to be transferred to the new one. Check with your Tesla Delivery folks.

(5) The rate of interest from Tesla Finance was 3 times my current rate of interest (and 2.5% higher than that from another bank).

The $15,900 reduction from the price of the new Tesla for FSD did not help at all, plus the fact that I don’t qualify for the $7,500 (or any Tax) benefit did not compute well for me. I had to pull the plug on my order. Poor understanding and planning on my part plus the bad economy would’ve cost me a bundle if I had not canceled my order. I think I will be trying to sell my car to a Private Party and get my FSD transferred to a new Tesla before the September 2023 deadline.

On the other hand, I love my Red, and I wouldn’t mind waiting a few years and paying for FSD again when HW5 or HW6 is released. $TSLA all the way!

Last edited:
This may explain
Tesla's trade in estimator now shows this:

Includes transfer of your current trade-in vehicle's FSD capability at no cost to you if you take delivery of a new Tesla vehicle by September 30, 2023

And values have dropped by $4k-$5k compared to previous messaging that said "Includes value of Full Self-Driving".
why my first non-binding estimated offer dropped from the initial $40,500-$43,100 range which had me salivating at doing the trade, to the current non-binding estimated offer range of $36,800 - $39,200 which makes swapping to a new Model Y LR far less interesting.

I was told I had to place the reservation and pay the $250 order fee to get a firm offer. Having never traded in a car with Tesla before, how likely is the "Firm Offer" to be inside their estimated range, and how likely is it to remain firm until delivery in September?

While it may be true that allowing the FSD transfer was mostly a demand trigger to clear inventory, if that was the sole purpose it seems odd Tesla didn’t require that the new vehicle be a model 3. The model Y refresh seems to be at least a year away, so the primary need for clearing inventory would be model 3.

I would think the reason for including model Y as the new vehicle may be partially the need to get more data from HW4 cars. Since S and X have become such low volume models only by adding HW4 model Y’s will Tesla have access to a lot of data from HW4. Does this make sense to you?

Reactions: RayB
While it may be true that allowing the FSD transfer was mostly a demand trigger to clear inventory, if that was the sole purpose it seems odd Tesla didn’t require that the new vehicle be a model 3. The model Y refresh seems to be at least a year away, so the primary need for clearing inventory would be model 3.

I would think the reason for including model Y as the new vehicle may be partially the need to get more data from HW4 cars. Since S and X have become such low volume models only by adding HW4 model Y’s will Tesla have access to a lot of data from HW4. Does this make sense to you?
It's a credible theory, but I think perhaps it assigns a bit too much weight to the details of demand management. Yes they are probably trying to minimize Model 3 inventory just ahead of the Highland unveiling, but there are a few problems with trying to micromanage that point.
  1. Highlighting reasons to wait: Those Tesla w/FSD owners who are actually aware of these detaied issues might really sit up and take notice of such a "Model 3 only" restriction, and it could have the opposite effect on those people. It would underscore the idea that Highland might be so much better, to the point that Tesla is afraid of killing demand for the old version. BTW this is not just and HW4 Autopilot Hardware issue: there are strong rumors of improved range versus battery pack size/cost, and also hints of improved suspension, not to mention all the usual motivations for wanting the latest refreshed model. In other words, being too obvious and trying to avoid a so-called Osborne effect could have just the opposite result, actually enhancing said effect. In that case, they'd be better off just to have a closeout M3 fire sale and forgo the FSD transfer incentive.
  2. Damaging Tesla customer base loyalty:There is already some amount of negative backlash from Elon announcing the program as an "amnesty" and not acknowledging the significant stake that FSD purchasers have already made in Tesla's FSD future. A further eligibility restriction, beyond the 2 month delivery window restriction, would legitimize and amplify those negative feelings.
Aside from the problems mentioned above, I would say that the "we need data from HW4 Model Y" theory is interesting, but my understanding (recently clarified) is that new HW4 Model Y is still being shipped with software that contains FSDb 11.3.6, and which cannot actually be enabled in these cars. Possibly they're still getting useful data from HW4 normal driving using some kind of Shadow mode data collection, but the argument is getting a bit stretched.

I'm sure the discussion at Tesla was multi-faceted, but I'm guessing they elected to go with a somewhat simpler implementation of the FSD transfer program. Partly as a demand lever for now, and partly as an experiment to see how it works and how it's received in the customer base. I hope the long-term effect is that they'll migrate this to become a more general policy for those who purchased FSD. It would be the right thing to do, short of actually making it a portable license, and it would reinforce loyalty and probably improve the take rate, if people knew they could rely on it to carry over to true FSD capability in the future.

Reactions: Dayreg
I canceled my RN for a new Y. Tesla could not get back to me with a trade in number. It was like 9 days since I sent them all the info/photos ect for the trade in (2022 Y w/FSD) They kept asking for proof of insurance for the new VIN. I’m not buying another policy when I don’t even know what my trade value is. They told me some BS that they are backed up, and only prioritizing trade in offers for folks who were taking delivery in the next 72hrs. Well, that was it. Come on? What a crock of $hit. I’ll hold out for the juniper Y or cybertruck.

I drive old junk snowmobiles, guess I’ll drive an old junk Tesla for a while now too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ken43
I was told I had to place the reservation and pay the $250 order fee to get a firm offer. Having never traded in a car with Tesla before, how likely is the "Firm Offer" to be inside their estimated range, and how likely is it to remain firm until delivery in September?
Once you get a trade in offer from Tesla, it’s good for 30 days. After that you’ll have to request a new offer.

On the day Elon announced the one-time FSD Transfer deal, I ordered my Blue Model Y and was super excited. As the date of delivery approached, things started going out of sync for me. I got a very low Tesla offer for my Trade-in which put me in a bind. My Order date and delivery date were less than 7 days apart. Wanted to share a few tips and some lessons learned-NOT financial advise, YMMV:

(1) The Trade-in offer Tesla made me for my 2.5 yo Red LR, AWD, 7-Seater, Premium Wheels Tesla Model Y with FSD (with all Glass tinted, full premium PPF Wrap plus Ceramic coating outside and on the Leather inside) was such that I would’ve owed my Bank close to $16,000. You may want to explore the possibility of selling your Tesla to a Private Party rather than trade-in with Tesla.

(2) The PPF and Cermic coating gets you Zero $. It is discounted 100% if you sell it to Tesla or a Company like CarMax (and I’m sure they will charge a premium to the next buyer for these features - and I’m positive they would’ve dropped the purchase price further if there were dings and stone chips on the body because there was no PPF!) Another reason why you may want to try to sell to a Private buyer.

(3) When you sell your Tesla to a third party, you will need to sell it with “no FSD” (if you plan to transfer the FSD from your current Tesla to a new one).

(4) You have to walk into the Delivery Center about 3-5 days before the delivery date to sign a piece of paper to transfer the FSD on your current Tesla for it to be transferred to the new one. Check with your Tesla Delivery folks.

(5) The rate of interest from Tesla Finance was 3 times my current rate of interest (and 2.5% higher than that from another bank).

The $15,900 reduction from the price of the new Tesla for FSD did not help at all, plus the fact that I don’t qualify for the $7,500 (or any Tax) benefit did not compute well for me. I had to pull the plug on my order. Poor understanding and planning on my part plus the bad economy would’ve cost me a bundle if I had not canceled my order. I think I will be trying to sell my car to a Private Party and get my FSD transferred to a new Tesla before the September 2023 deadline.

On the other hand, I love my Red, and I wouldn’t mind waiting a few years and paying for FSD again when HW5 or HW6 is released. $TSLA all the way!
I missed mentioning a sequence in my bit above: And as pointed out by some, you need to sell your old Tesla AFTER taking delivery of the new Tesla. For a bit there, you will end up with two Teslas. Once you get your new Tesla and the FSD is on the new one, you should be good to sell your older one with no FSD.

Didn't read all 18 pages but has anyone brought up if the transfer of a pre 2019 FSD contract which I believe states level 4 autonomy, will be downgraded to the current level 2 FSD contract? This could be a way for Tesla to reign in the existing level 4 commitments that lack the necessary hardware that would require significant upgrades to meet level 4 functionality.

Didn't read all 18 pages but has anyone brought up if the transfer of a pre 2019 FSD contract which I believe states level 4 autonomy, will be downgraded to the current level 2 FSD contract? This could be a way for Tesla to reign in the existing level 4 commitments that lack the necessary hardware that would require significant upgrades to meet level 4 functionality.
Interesting point. If the order page uses the current post 2019 language, then it would potentially clear out Tesla's prior commitments. Tesla does call it "FSD Transfer" in the FAQ, but it really depends on the language they use in the actual legal documents signed.

so I got my new MY yesterday
for the most part all went smoothly, with the exception of them not removing the $15K price when I had to pay the bill on the app
Called Tesla customer service and they rectified and I was able to pay 3 hours before my delivery appointment
The FSD has already transferred to the new car but for some reason I am stuck in V 11.1 so the FSD beta isnt an option to turn on yet since HW4 needs to be v11.4.4 hopefully I get the update soon

so I got my new MY yesterday
for the most part all went smoothly, with the exception of them not removing the $15K price when I had to pay the bill on the app
Called Tesla customer service and they rectified and I was able to pay 3 hours before my delivery appointment
The FSD has already transferred to the new car but for some reason I am stuck in V 11.1 so the FSD beta isnt an option to turn on yet since HW4 needs to be v11.4.4 hopefully I get the update soon
CONFUSION abounds. You are NOT on FSD Beta 11.1. You are confusing the UI version (11.1) that (almost) everyone has and your last car had it too with FSD Beta. Also you will not get 11.4.x FSD Beta since it is on 23.7.x software and you are WAY past that. So you will not have FSD Beta for a while since HW4 is not compatible with 11.3.6. You will have to wait until Tesla releases a stable version of 11.4.x and then moves to a current software branch.

Reactions: BrianBigNFun