Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Q2 Money Talk: The INTERESTING Part

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
I never tire of listening to Elon. He is a fountain of insight into the near future. In response to a question about battery density and cost he mentioned a likely 30% increase in volumetric energy in about two years, $100 a kWh at the cell level by the end of the year and perhaps $100 a kWh at the pack level in two years.

Regarding charging, he suggested that a ratio of charging:travel times of 1:6 will be the "figure of merit," about double the present. He thinks that current tech can be improved up to 3x. While he was clear that Gen1 cars (like the Model S 2012) could not support the faster standard, he did not exclude any more recent cars and (my interpretation) implied that 2170 packs would support faster charging with SuperCharger v.3, due out towards end of the year.

Wow. Even if the rather common Elon time expansion occurs, these are near term, on the horizon improvements.

It's unlikely that large gains in energy density is accompanied by much higher C rates (per cell). Porsche is likely using low energy density batteries to do their fast charge.

Consider Musk's statement about a future 400 mile range Tesla. This is probably their high end response to Porsche fast charge. If Porsche is using low density batteries they perhaps can not do a 400 mile car.

I took Musk's lecture to the questioner as being somewhat dismissive of the need the guy presented. But I didn't re-listen to the audio.

Last edited:
Regarding charging, he suggested that a ratio of charging:travel times of 1:6 will be the "figure of merit," about double the present. He thinks that current tech can be improved up to 3x. While he was clear that Gen1 cars (like the Model S 2012) could not support the faster standard, he did not exclude any more recent cars and (my interpretation) implied that 2170 packs would support faster charging with SuperCharger v.3, due out towards end of the year.
I was wondering about this too and need to go back and watch that part again.

If they are going to be unveiling Supercharger v3 later this year, hopefully that means they'll also be unveiling a car that can take advantage of those new Superchargers. Whether it's the Model 3 or an upgraded Model S or X, I don't know. It's just not going to be as exciting if they just show a Supercharger and nothing able to take advantage of it!

It would be interesting to see what the internal charge port cabling is like... would need to be pretty beefy...

Not if voltage doubled. Although the physical connections between modules would need to be configurable to double the voltage. The packs would need to reconfigure to 800v nominal.

I doubt very much that the Model 3 is chargeable at 150kw plus regardless of the voltage.

If they are going to be unveiling Supercharger v3 later this year, hopefully that means they'll also be unveiling a car that can take advantage of those new Superchargers.
The bigger part of V3 might be it's autonomy, as he mentioned integration with solar arrays and batteries, which will enable these superchargers to operate in the areas with poor electrical infrastructure.