Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't forget the 3 has a rear PM motor that does not have the output of the induction motors but is more efficient. They will likely do induction up front and my guess is a stated 4.4 second 0-60 approx on the LR version. The rear PM motor will have the inverter reduced by about 300A with the front motor doing about 500A, total Kw will be about 15Kw or so more on the RWD non P. The P will likely have the full rear inverter of close to it with the induction possibly boosted. If the 3 had inductions on the front and rear it would be insanely fast but they need the rear PM for the efficiency boost on the highway. The AWD versions will likely have no boost in range if not 10-20 miles less. Real 0-6 on the std AWD will likely be in the 3.8-4 range unless they did some changes in the last few months. No ideal on the P model 0-60.

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
Don't forget the 3 has a rear PM motor that does not have the output of the induction motors but is more efficient.

What are basing the motor power on? These are theoretically the same motors propelling the 80k semi to 60 MPH in 20 seconds which is 954 kW peak power (assuming linear power ramp). ~240 kW per motor, 800A @ 300V, 600A @ 400V.

On a battery size to weight ratio, the 3 can match the S in 0-60, if the motors are not a limiting factor.

What are basing the motor power on? These are theoretically the same motors propelling the 80k semi to 60 MPH in 20 seconds which is 954 kW peak power (assuming linear power ramp). ~240 kW per motor, 800A @ 300V, 600A @ 400V.

On a battery size to weight ratio, the 3 can match the S in 0-60, if the motors are not a limiting factor.
Battery chemistry is different though. Wasn't there some info on maximum current draw from the Model 3 pack?
I also think the dual motor won't have any extra range. The motor is already so efficient that different gearing for the front and rear motors won't help.
I can't decide if it will have an induction motor. I keep going back and forth on that. It would make sense but then the Performance version would have the same overheating problems that the S has. That would be a step backwards since it seems like the RWD Model 3 is a massive improvement in that regard.
3.5s 0-60 for the P is my prediction.

Reactions: Arpe and mongo
Battery chemistry is different though. Wasn't there some info on maximum current draw from the Model 3 pack?
I also think the dual motor won't have any extra range. The motor is already so efficient that different gearing for the front and rear motors won't help.
I can't decide if it will have an induction motor. I keep going back and forth on that. It would make sense but then the Performance version would have the same overheating problems that the S has. That would be a step backwards since it seems like the RWD Model 3 is a massive improvement in that regard.
3.5s 0-60 for the P is my prediction.

We're on the same page regarding induction, I'm leaning toward PMSR for ease of cooling (and pack heating). Plus easier rotor sensing/ control. Given everything is SW controlled, it's hard to say what the real long life limits are on any piece of the 3. The car is so optimized maybe just reducing the heat in the windings by power sharing will help.

If all Tesla did was to put another rear PM motor into nose, while adding 300lb to the curb weight, it would be capable of running <10.5 @ >125mph based on the HP and weight addition, assuming a 160lb driver. This assumes a Model 3LR weighs 4000lb now with a 160lb driver and can trap 103 mph. The battery should support it.

Why would they need an induction motor? The PM motor they have is already too powerful to use for an AWD Performance variant, unless they want to stop the sales of the P100D.

It will be interesting to see how they handle this. The Model 3LR is not the performance model, but it does have the performance motor necessary in place.

If all Tesla did was to put another rear PM motor into nose, while adding 300lb to the curb weight, it would be capable of running <10.5 @ >125mph based on the HP and weight addition, assuming a 160lb driver. This assumes a Model 3LR weighs 4000lb now with a 160lb driver and can trap 103 mph. The battery should support it.

Why would they need an induction motor? The PM motor they have is already too powerful to use for an AWD Performance variant, unless they want to stop the sales of the P100D.

It will be interesting to see how they handle this. The Model 3LR is not the performance model, but it does have the performance motor necessary in place.
The reason to use an induction motor is lower cost and more efficient torque sleep.
The whole 0-60 thing seems kind of silly to me. The Model 3 is already higher performance than a Model S in every way except on a drag strip. I don’t know why the fastest 0-60 should be reserved for a land yacht. I guess that’s what the market wants though :)

I'm curious if there will be a third higher regen option for AWD, or they simply spread the regen across both motors, or there's still two options but they are higher regen. Probably comes down to which is the limitation now : battery / inverter ability to accept charge from regen or traction limit due to using only the rear wheels for regen.

Get Twitter alerts for Electrek, they're great! I don't use Twitter for anything other than alerts from Electrek and Elon Musk. Electrek posts articles to Twitter within minutes of being on their site, so you know immediately.
It's even better, Electrek post there articles on Twitter a few minutes before they comes up on the website for everyone so follow them on Twitter is a good way to get the latest.

Reactions: Brandon332
On to page 19 of pure speculation in less than a week. I knew we could do it! Very proud of everyone.
Only 19?

There is still no reveal yet......

There have been some great ideas that have come forward in this thread about insurance, motors, and batteries. There have been Lots of learning in this thread.....not just speculation. Here's some new facts (non-speculation ) about the Model S and X performance version. .

For example: Overnight the Model S P100D got new arachnid black wheel option and the ventilated seats are back. Will these options accompany the new P Model3 D?

Tesla brings back ventilated seats and makes new black Arachnid wheels available

Did Tesla have to make this overnight change because they don't want the new Model 3 dual motor performance version options to outdo the Model S - after its reveal today? hmmmmm

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Another Fun Fact. ( not speculation ).

The Model 3 motors have not only made its way to the Tesla Semi.....its also become very Boring lately.

"The Boring Company is aiming to drill and lay tunnel walls simultaneously while excavating dirt from the tunnel using battery-electric locomotives, which are equipped with two Model 3 motors."

I wonder if the dual motored Boring Machine doubles as a Model 3.....it has the same number of motors and its really going to be shaking things up.....hmmmmm ( that's speculation ). Is this Elons big surprise about Model 3's performance dual motor? Its also a boring machine? COOL!!! lol

Key takeaways from Elon Musk's Boring Company information session

The reason to use an induction motor is lower cost and more efficient torque sleep.
Regarding cost:
Induction requires a low resistance squirrel cage shorting bar assembly, steel laminations, specialized bearings, and seals for the rotor cooling. Along with interwoven windings on the stator and a sinusoidal drive waveform.

PMSR rotor has laminations, bearings, and (I gather) magnets for efficiency and reduced torque ripple. The stator is individual pole windings with arbitrary drive waveform.
The PMSR also has higher volume production. So, for Tesla, is induction still lower cost?

Regarding cost:
Induction requires a low resistance squirrel cage shorting bar assembly, steel laminations, specialized bearings, and seals for the rotor cooling. Along with interwoven windings on the stator and a sinusoidal drive waveform.

PMSR rotor has laminations, bearings, and (I gather) magnets for efficiency and reduced torque ripple. The stator is individual pole windings with arbitrary drive waveform.
The PMSR also has higher volume production. So, for Tesla, is induction still lower cost?

All that sound good.......But can it go Ludicrous? That's my only question. lol

• Disagree
Reactions: JoseBQ