Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anybody explain what this line in Elon's tweet means exactly? "Performance drive units are lot sorted for highest sigma output & get double the burn-in."
I would guess this means that they choose only units that are some number of standard deviations (sigma) better than the mean and then they do a longer initial (burn in) test to make sure they can take the added load and won’t fail due to infant mortality.

Can anybody explain what this line in Elon's tweet means exactly? "Performance drive units are lot sorted for highest sigma output & get double the burn-in."

It means M3P and M3 get the same rear motors but M3P will get the ones that happen to have a higher output rating (you can make a motor with the same specifications but randomly some have higher power and others less) then they will be tested twice as much. Say standard motor is tested for 10 minutes to make sure all the components are good then M3P will have the motor tested 20 minutes.

I would guess this means that they choose only units that are some number of standard deviations (sigma) better than the mean and then they do a longer initial (burn in) test to make sure they can take the added load and won’t fail due to infant mortality.

It means M3P and M3 get the same rear motors but M3P will get the ones that happen to have a higher output rating (you can make a motor with the same specifications but randomly some have higher power and others less) then they will be tested twice as much. Say standard motor is tested for 10 minutes to make sure all the components are good then M3P will have the motor tested 20 minutes.

Thanks, guys!

Reactions: D3xDt3Reaction
Did anyone else notice the difference between website vs mobile website that just happened?

On the website (i.e. on the computer): First production : Ready to configure, AWD: Mid'18, SR: Late'18
On the mobile website (i.e. browser on phone): First production: Ready to configure, AWD: Late'18, SR: Early'19

Plus maybe a different front motor

Here are the screenshots:
Browser (chrome) vs Mobile Browser (iphone)

Attachments

• Website.jpg
    Website.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 66
  • mobile.jpg
    mobile.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Harley-Davidson has been setting aside their best testing motors for years. They put them in their CVO (Custom Vehicle Operations) high end lineup of their bikes.

Tesla will be doing the same. Some motors come down the line, performing better than others. These will be culled out and the best ones will be installed into their High Performance versions.

Only if some web developer can push the release button and bring the wait to its logical conclusion. It's 1:35 AM here on the east coast.
I think Elon just wants some sympathy for all his nights burning the midnight oil - now everyone else is staying up late for a change. He's probably watching this thread and laughing, "Suckers!" :D