Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweet re: lack of instrument cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
musk_autonomy.png

Don't know what you think of this comment, but I see it confirming our previous speculation that model 3's interior is designed for a fully autonomous driving transportation experience

Don't know what you think of this comment, but I see it confirming our previous speculation that model 3's interior is designed for a fully autonomous driving transportation experience

Yes, I absolutely agree. The drivers at the event indicated that the interior design was intentional and deliberate.

The key pieces of information that are currently on the Model S driver screen (Speed, Cruise Control indicator, Autopilot Indicator, Drive Mode) are found on the main screen in the Model 3, so having this information on some sort of additional display would be redundant.

LgZfBq4.jpg

Yes, I absolutely agree. The drivers at the event indicated that the interior design was intentional and deliberate.

The key pieces of information that are currently on the Model S (Speed, Cruise Control indicator, Autopilot Indicator, Drive Mode) are found on the main screen in the Model 3, so having this information on some sort of additional display would be redundant.

View attachment 170517

It would be redundant to have on another screen, but some basic info can easily be moved to HUD. I'm hoping for HUD that shows at least speed, drive mode, and autopilot info.

Get real guys.

One of the primary objectives of Model 3 design is EASE OF MANUFACTURING so that they can ramp up production rapidly.

You won't see augmented reality or fancy projections type of unproven systems.

HUD technology has been around for nearly 40 years in one form or another. Having a HUD unit that could be inserted on either the left or right side would greatly reduce cost and increase part commonality between LHD and RHD (UK/Japan/AUS etc.) versions of the car.

Interesting tweet from Musk: "Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship." I imagine that this means a very fancy HUD, not just improved autonomous driving.

Update: or maybe not...now Musk says that the current steering wheel is not the real steering "system", so maybe no conventional wheel in the final car?

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Interesting tweet from Musk: "Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship." I imagine that this means a very fancy HUD, not just improved autonomous driving.

Update: or maybe not...now Musk says that the current steering wheel is not the real steering "system", so maybe no conventional wheel in the final car?
it is gonna BLOW AWAY the competition. this is gonna be awesome.

HUD technology has been around for nearly 40 years in one form or another. Having a HUD unit that could be inserted on either the left or right side would greatly reduce cost and increase part commonality between LHD and RHD (UK/Japan/AUS etc.) versions of the car.

Not for BMWs. BMW HUD is not interchangeable between LHD and RHD cars.

HUD is not always ideal. I can't see my BMW HUD in the day because I wear polarized sunglass - and I am not willing to give up my polarized sunglass just to view the HUD.

Yeah.. change the title.. totally misleading.
I bet a HUD is actually less expensive than an instrument cluster.. Makes total sense to forego the cluster and just have the essentials projected onto the windshield... Seems Teslaesque to take it up one notch, and add at least a little bit of augmented reality... But I suppose that would be more involved, more expensive, and if, then probably only available as an upgrade..... Would be very, very cool though ;)