Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweeted " all 3 / y can be upgraded to have FSD computer"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the FSD v9 beta has gotten a lot of attention and is expected to be released soon. With the "beta" label does that mean that it's only available to beta testers or will it be a public release?
Autopilot has been "beta" since it was released, what, 5+ years ago? Elon has been promising a public release Real Soon Now for several months. As someone who paid for FSD back when Obama was president, I've become...skeptical. Anyhow, the promised "beta" should be a public release. Elon has said that you'll be able to download it via a dedicated button in the Service page on your main screen.

Now I am confused. Are people referring to updating the full self driving chip? Like, physically getting a new chip installed? Because that's really cool and I had no idea Tesla would allow physical upgrades post-purchase.
Tesla does indeed allow physical, hardware upgrades post-purchase.

Those of us who paid for FSD back when Tesla was using Nvidia computers received the new Tesla-developed computer for free. Those who buy FSD now and need an upgrade will receive the new computer as part of the FSD package.

I also paid to have my infotainment system upgraded from the old ARM-based system to the new Intel-based system.

I have HW 2.5 on both model 3's and have zero interest in paying for an upgrade to HW 3 by itself, i.e., without FSD. I rarely look at teh screen now, so don't care about no stinkin' visualizations. (And before I get a bunch of dislikes, this is just my opinion and how I drive -- eyes always forward; I'm sure Elon thinks there is a market for this upgrade.)

Tesla does indeed allow physical, hardware upgrades post-purchase.

Those of us who paid for FSD back when Tesla was using Nvidia computers received the new Tesla-developed computer for free. Those who buy FSD now and need an upgrade will receive the new computer as part of the FSD package.

I also paid to have my infotainment system upgraded from the old ARM-based system to the new Intel-based system.
Had no idea. Great to know!

I have HW 2.5 on both model 3's and have zero interest in paying for an upgrade to HW 3 by itself, i.e., without FSD. I rarely look at teh screen now, so don't care about no stinkin' visualizations. (And before I get a bunch of dislikes, this is just my opinion and how I drive -- eyes always forward; I'm sure Elon thinks there is a market for this upgrade.)
This might be a silly question, but how can I tell if have HW 2.5 or 3? I am assuming I have 3, as I took delivery of my radarless model 3 like a month ago.

Autopilot has been "beta" since it was released, what, 5+ years ago? Elon has been promising a public release Real Soon Now for several months. As someone who paid for FSD back when Obama was president, I've become...skeptical. Anyhow, the promised "beta" should be a public release. Elon has said that you'll be able to download it via a dedicated button in the Service page on your main screen.
I just read that Elon tweeted Saturday release for FSD v9 but it’s just for beta testers. Then a “month or so” for public release depending on how it goes. Probably means a year or so. What a bummer. It really seemed like it was soon.

I just read that Elon tweeted Saturday release for FSD v9 but it’s just for beta testers. Then a “month or so” for public release depending on how it goes. Probably means a year or so. What a bummer. It really seemed like it was soon.
Here's a citation: Elon Musk: Tesla will launch its 'mind-blowing' Full Self-Driving Beta v9 on Saturday

Yep, sigh. "Two weeks". "Probably next week" "By the end of June"...and now "Maybe in a month or so...if all goes well".

I find it darkly amusing that this same Electrek article says "It looks like the wait and delays are over."

HA HA HA HA HA HA THUD

I would be very supportive of a class action lawsuit by people who've pre-paid for FSD.

Reactions: dsandhu
Every Tesla manufactured since around February / March 2019 has a minimum of the HW 3 computer. If you bought FSD and had an earlier car with the HW 2.5 (or less) computer then Tesla has been upgrading them to the HW 3 unit at no additional cost to the owner. Currently, Tesla does not have an upgrade offer for non FSD buyers. Perhaps they will, because they pushed the media computer upgrade (MCU2) hard to existing owners of the MCU1 units.

Every Tesla manufactured since around February / March 2019 has a minimum of the HW 3 computer. If you bought FSD and had an earlier car with the HW 2.5 (or less) computer then Tesla has been upgrading them to the HW 3 unit at no additional cost to the owner. Currently, Tesla does not have an upgrade offer for non FSD buyers. Perhaps they will, because they pushed the media computer upgrade (MCU2) hard to existing owners of the MCU1 units.

This isnt quite true. There are people (even some who are members here) who purchased cars after the (supposed) april 2019 "cutover" who still got HW2.5 because they did not get FSD.

Its not accurate to say that "every tesla manufactured since feb / march (or even april) 2019 has HW3. I have no idea how many it is, but there are definitely some and some are members here.

Here is one, in this thread actually, post number 12:

Logically there has to be an available option to upgrade to the new FSD computer, if a subscription to FSD is made available, as you cannot use FSD on a 2.5 computer. Purchasing outright the 10k FSD upgrade gets you the computer, which is an option for some/most/all of the Model 3 owners like myself.

And for the record, it still is being pointed out incorrectly that "all Model 3 after April 2019 have HW3..." which isn't the case. I have June 2019 with HW2.5 and there are those who have reported delivery after June 2019 with HW2.5... its just that the supply diminished after that. I don't blame Tesla for this, but there's no automagic assumption of HW version in your Teslas -- just understand that if you purchase FSD, you are entitled to the upgrade no matter what version, as well as the software capability.

So this is FSD Beta 9 released only for BETA TESTERS not for all SUBSCRIBERS?

Correct.

===================
(moderator note)

The subforum here at TMC for FSD / Autopilot discussions is here:

Please direct any posts on FSD/ Autopilot, etc to that subforum.

Status
Not open for further replies.