Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because he thinks the purpose of government is to subsidize and enable his every thought and let him do whatever he wants. Democracy gets in the way of that, so he prefers a corrupt government that isn't accountable to the people.

Also, destabilizing the US helps him with his business dealings with government actors in China, Saudi Arabia, and the like. And they can arbitrarily give him money and permits without popular support.

On top of that, he's narcissistic, impulsive, and thinks that he's saving the world (so anyone who gets in his way is anti-world).

Not the guy you want owning something like Twitter.

I fully agree that he's not the sort of person to own something like Twitter, but I think he's more deluded than carries any kind of evil intent. He is a naive libertarian who thinks people don't need to have their actions regulated. He is of the opinion that Twitter is over regulated and it will be a nice peaceful place without any kind of moderation. He also has fallen into the orbit of some bad actors like Peter Thiel who want the moderation to go away so his allies can stir the pot and spread baseless conspiracy theories.

Musk is the convenient idiot the nefarious actors are taking advantage of.

Top notch list. I could attribute all of the above to Bill gates, TBH.

I wouldn't say that about Bill Gates at all. Gates was always a cut throat businessman, but he was doing it before the world knew who he was. He was reluctantly pushed forward as the face of Microsoft over Paul Allen who was even more socially awkward. He never really liked being in the public eye.

Being in the Seattle area tech community I knew some people who had known Bill Gates (I've never met him myself). He has always been very unimpressed with his wealth and social status.

You can be conservative or libertarian without being either of these. 🔋

But you’re right, progressives won’t leave and won’t stop buying his cars or using Twitter.

I'm not so sure about that. There are people on the left end of the spectrum who are now looking at other brands because of Elon's behavior. And most of the substantive posters on Twitter my partner follows are looking at other platforms. Jack Dorsey is launching a new platform called Bluesky Social. It's in beta now.

As Elon Musk finalized his Twitter deal, Jack Dorsey launched a beta for his new social-media company

Elon Musk fired a bunch of people at Twitter "for cause" his first day on the job. The employee contracts are very detailed about what constitutes cause, so is California employment law. He just broke the law and the employees are suing for wrongful termination. They will likely not only get the severance packages that Elon was trying not to pay out, but they will get damages too.

Twitter is likely going to go into a tailspin due to huge expenses Elon incurred firing all those people and advertisers pulling out because of the chaos. The lawyers my partner follows on Twitter are opining that Elon is going to be shelling out a lot of money in legal settlements and legal fees if he tries to fight a lost cause.

Reactions: phishphan
Well yeah, now that the bar has been lowered so far below the ground you can touch Beijing I wouldn’t be surprised.

They’ll probably even get raided by the feds.

Elon's efforts are clearly making a wonderful utopian town hall filled with civil discourse between previously sidelined moderates!

Elon is going to be shelling out a lot of money in legal settlements and legal fees if he tries to fight a lost cause.
Elon could tie them up for years waiting for that money. If he fired them for cause, surely he had someone advising him it was copacetic.

Whether that was sabotage or not will reveal itself but his vision for the platform is incompatible with the people that were shown the door.

Sarcasm noted. 👍

It’s literally been two days folks. There’s a lot of work to do at Twitter and it’s going to take time.
This. I suspect he deleted his post because he recognized that it wasn't his job or appropriate for him to be the one to fact check lies espoused on Twitter. As he has said, a committee is being formed to set standards, standards that all sides will be accountable for.

Elon could tie them up for years waiting for that money. If he fired them for cause, surely he had someone advising him it was copacetic.

Whether that was sabotage or not will reveal itself but his vision for the platform is incompatible with the people that were shown the door.

He appears to think he knows better than the lawyers.

An article describing Jack Dorsey's concept for Bluesky and how it relates to Twitter. Also dives into the motivations of the Twitter deal. It's an opinion piece by someone who knows Jack.
Haha, Elon just carrying on the family business:
Everyone knows that the only way to advance society is through technocracy. Musk’s grandfather, Joshua Haldeman, was involved in the technocracy movement in Canada in the 1930’s and was arrested — because it was seen as a threat to the government.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Pretty sure that was sarcasm directed at the NYTs long history of lies, distortions and manipulations. Also pretty sure you knew that too.

Sure seems like confessing he posted a pile of crap, regrets it and had to delete it would be better for the "town hall" than making up a lie about people claiming he linked to the NYT...

Sure seems like confessing he posted a pile of crap, regrets it and had to delete it would be better for the "town hall" than making up a lie about people claiming he linked to the NYT...
He seems like a straightforward enough guy on Twitter. You should @ him for an explanation and share what he replies with.

I would, but I don’t use Twitter.

For EXACTLY the same reasons most people *here* can’t sit on their hands until the facts start to come. 🙄

Seriously. So tired of people holding Elon to a standard they don’t even hold themselves to. Get a grip people.
Don't think I was holding Elon to a standard I don't apply to others. That was an awful tweet for a number of reasons. Are you saying you had no problem with his tweet?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.