Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotcha. Any guesses about what else it could be?

My thinking is Optimist Prime figured if things went well then he wouldn't need to sell more TSLA. But when advertisers fled the chaos he so skillfully created, he suddenly needed a lot more cash for Twitter. The only thing I can thing of is high interest loans but I'm a scientist/engineer not a financial guy. Are there other possibilities?
Possible he got a short term bridge loan to close the deal and needed to pay it back. Everyone would have assumed he was selling had he sold before the deal closed. Maybe he was able to sell without moving the price as much this way and saved a little money?
Of course if advertising revenue has completely collapsed I guess it might actually cost billions to keep Twitter afloat? Operating expenses were $5.6 billion in 2021.

And he's proven again and again that his instincts with the general human population are TERRIBLE.
True,

He has also proven that he knows a lot about computer software, and how to make great products.

But in particular, he has proven he doesn't give up easily.

SpaceX and Tesla were initially very foolish ideas, more likely to fail than succeed.

Didn’t see this. Our friend LK says Elon told staff he sold to “save Twitter”.

Minor update as well. My ex that dislikes anything associated with me but who bought a Tesla anyway, still loves the Model Y apparently. Wasn’t keen on autopilot months ago when I had asked but no update there.

She is cheap, but can afford whatever car she wants. (trust me on that one) If she hasn’t sold it in disgust then there is probably something to the idea that most people don’t follow the Elon drama. Bullish.

True,

He has also proven that he knows a lot about computer software, and how to make great products.

But in particular, he has proven he doesn't give up easily.

SpaceX and Tesla were initially very foolish ideas, more likely to fail than succeed.

I agree good at software. But this ISNT a software problem. It's a human one, and his instincts there are terrible - as he is demonstrating every day right now. That's what folks don't seem to grasp.

I agree good at software. But this ISNT a software problem. It's a human one, and his instincts there are terrible - as he is demonstrating every day right now. That's what folks don't seem to grasp.
That is why I'm viewing this as a 50/50 bet.

If all Elon had to do was the software, and to turn Twitter into a financial success, I would say the chances of success are 95%+.

The "human element" is an added area of risk/uncertainty, and a known weakness for Elon.

Still I'm saying 50% not 0%.

Elon at 50% is better odds than anyone else on the planet at 50%.

That is why I'm viewing this as a 50/50 bet.

If all Elon had to do was the software, and to turn Twitter into a financial success, I would say the chances of success are 95%+.

The "human element" is an added area of risk/uncertainty, and a known weakness for Elon.

Still I'm saying 50% not 0%.

Elon at 50% is better odds than anyone else on the planet at 50%.

His one (and maybe only) asset here is his proven ability to fail, and iterate rapidly. Even with terrible human instincts he might chance upon something that halfway works if he attempts several dozen bad ideas and abandons them rapidly enough. Maybe. The accumulated damage might kill the thing before he gets lucky - social platforms are momentum oriented and if you trash your service and userbase it's kinda hard to get it back. Ask the folks who attempted to reboot MySpace :)

What he is trying to do is;-
  1. Reduce expenses
  2. Increase revenue
  3. Improve the product
  4. Shore up/expand the user base.
Pissing off half of America, creating a toxic environment, and charging people to create content for him is not a great way to expand the user base.

I'd like to see a poll here asking people if they would be more or less inclined to join Twitter now and if they would be willing to spend $8/mo for the famous blue check mark. I've never joined Twitter. It seemed toxic before and seems much more toxic now. No way I would join. No way I'd pay $8/mo. Likewise, I wouldn't pay $8/mo to watch Fox News (edit: or msnbc). Although I might be up for boycotting Twitter's advertisers.

I'd also like to poll people about bots on Twitter. Have you seen any? Many? I see plenty of bots over on YouTube. They are a minor nuisance, not a deal breaker. I don't visit Twitter often. The most egregious posts I've seen there mostly come from the chief Twit.

Last edited:
While they were certainly risky they were not foolish. Both were based on solid first principles of physics and available technology.
I don't think the technology side of what he wants to do with Twitter is the issue.

It is true that the human side is different to challenge at Tesla and SpaceX where most humans were on board.

However, I would also question how many humans wanted Tesla and SpaceX to succeed, as opposed to how many wanted them to fail.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I'd like to see a poll here asking people if they would be more or less inclined to join Twitter now and if they would be willing to spend $8/mo for the famous blue check mark.
I closed my account yesterday, speaking personally. I've been clear that I rarely used it anyway (including well before Elon bought, nothing to do with that), and would check in once a year or something. I checked in yesterday and looked around, decided it's just not my scene, and closed the account. I see very little upside on the platform for me personally. So I'm out.

Pissing off half of America, creating a toxic environment, and charging people to create content for him is not a great way to expand the user base.

I'd like to see a poll here asking people if they would be more or less inclined to join Twitter now and if they would be willing to spend $8/mo for the famous blue check mark. I've never joined Twitter. It seemed toxic before and seems much more toxic now. No way I would join. No way I'd pay $8/mo. Likewise, I wouldn't pay $8/mo to watch Fox News (edit: or msnbc). Although I might be up for boycotting Twitter's advertisers.

I'd also like to poll people about bots on Twitter. Have you seen any? Many? I see plenty of bots over on YouTube. They are a minor nuisance, not a deal breaker. I don't visit Twitter often. The most egregious posts I've seen there mostly come from the chief Twit.
On Twitter there is good / relevant information if you watch the right accounts, information you will not easily find elsewhere,
In my case, some of that information relates to emergencies, and is potentially lifesaving.
It doesn't cost $8 per month to get information, I have never posted on Twitter and will never post.
Like all tools, you need to understand how to use it, and to be selective in what you watch.
I don't regularly encounter any known trolls, bots or politics.
I'm very sure the accounts I follow are not bots/trolls the quality of the information is too good.
For Tesla, Alex is the standout source, JPR007 is also good.

I closed my account yesterday, speaking personally. I've been clear that I rarely used it anyway (including well before Elon bought, nothing to do with that), and would check in once a year or something. I checked in yesterday and looked around, decided it's just not my scene, and closed the account. I see very little upside on the platform for me personally. So I'm out.

Like all social media, you have to curate your own experience. If you have a relatively new account, then you need to follow certain people. The type of people you follow will determine what you get shown in your timeline. Both my twitter and reddit are very good for me since they show me relevant stuff since I took the time (like an hour max each) to set them up.

On Twitter there is good / relevant information if you watch the right accounts, information you will not easily find elsewhere,
In my case, some of that information relates to emergencies, and is potentially lifesaving.
It doesn't cost $8 per month to get information, I have never posted on Twitter and will never post.
Like all tools, you need to understand how to use it, and to be selective in what you watch.
I don't regularly encounter any known trolls, bots or politics.
I'm very sure the accounts I follow are not bots/trolls the quality of the information is too good.
For Tesla, Alex is the standout source, JPR007 is also good.

I'm also read only on Twitter. I read it almost every day, but see no reason to pay for it. I'm read only on YouTube as well, but I gladly pay for premium because the ads are so obnoxious. I'm not sure how many Twitter users are read only, but I'm guessing it is at least 25%. There's no incentive for any of the lurkers to pay.

Reactions: BitJam and MC3OZ
I wonder if one of the intents of rolling out the $8 checkmark is to change the meaning to "this person paid" rather than "verified". They had to know this impersonation would happen. Not sure why they didn't use a different icon.

Elon has stated that he hated the "well known person" blue checkmark. He likens it to a Lord and Peasants situation. So he is doing away with that status and making a single "this person paid" status.

I'm also read only on Twitter. I read it almost every day, but see no reason to pay for it. I'm read only on YouTube as well, but I gladly pay for premium because the ads are so obnoxious. I'm not sure how many Twitter users are read only, but I'm guessing it is at least 25%. There's no incentive for any of the lurkers to pay.
Those that will pay $8 per month include companies, politicians and public entities/identities that want their "official" account to be "official" and to not be impersonated.

Advertising on Twitter is not as annoying as on YouTube, I barely notice it, so not many lurkers will pay to avoid ads.

Reactions: Chunky Jr.
Those that will pay $8 per month include companies, politicians and public entities/identities that want their "official" account to be "official" and to not be impersonated.

Advertising on Twitter is not as annoying as on YouTube, I barely notice it, so not many lurkers will pay to avoid ads.

if they wanted to incentivize lurkers to pay, they could put ads into all the videos. That would suck, but it would make sense

Reactions: MC3OZ
Status
Not open for further replies.