Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Struggling to understand the point. Are you suggesting that because sales were good before Elon lost his mind they will still be good even after increasingly crazy Tweets?
Yes. That is, sort of, what I am saying.

The fact is that sales were good and are now better than ever in the entire history of Tesla, and this is, perhaps surprisingly, most true in markets with the highest concentrations of people who disagree with Elon's recent political statements and how he's handling the Twitter acquisition. This has continued every quarter this entire time, except in Q1 2020 when the Fremont factory was not operational.

In Q3, Tesla and Genesis the only brands in California with increased sales relative to Q2. Genesis is a tiny brand so let's set them aside. The bottom line is that Tesla's sales went up while every other major car company's sales went down. Tesla also did not reduce their prices in California during this time and has no dealerships they can temporarily pack with inventory, so the signal is clear and unambiguous. The only part we don't know is just how long the backlog is and what the current daily net order flow is. Other car companies say they had trouble in Q3 with supply challenges, so that was a big factor, but we also didn't see large price spikes for them in Q3 which calls into question just how much the supply excuse is actually the dominant factor in reality.

From what I'm hearing from y'all who have been following Elon's Twitter and political stuff much more closely than I have been, Q3 is when the mind-losing and crazy tweeting intensified and became more frequent, correct? And it was much worse in Q1 and Q2 than in previous years, right? It just keeps getting worse?

So, if it matters so much, why do the sales and prices keep rising so quickly even as this has been occurring?

Or, if the argument is that it hasn't mattered much yet but will be greatly impactful in the future, then when do you suppose that will that happen and why hasn't it happened already?

Why does Tesla currently have somewhere around 20-40% new vehicle market share in the greater San Francisco area which is probably the single-most leftist part of the entire country? Why is this also the case in the Los Angeles and Seattle metro areas, which are also heavily leftist by American standards?

It seems to me that the sales and price data already conclusively demonstrates that the "Tesla can't achieve mass-market sales with Elon's politics" hypothesis is false, because it's literally already happening.

I think someone mentioned earlier that Musk’s kid coming out as Trans really did a number on him. I agree with this statement, it’s the reason he’s going all out against the “Woke Left”…….

I’m still waiting for him to call out the “Woke Right”…. You know, the ones who everything is a conspiracy, that the government is headed to a New World Orde etc. etc. etc.

Think about it….

Or, if the argument is that it hasn't mattered much yet but will be greatly impactful in the future, then when do you suppose that will that happen and why hasn't it happened already?
That seems quite obvious, Tesla has had high demand and limited production capacity for a while so it will still take some time to see if increased negativity will impact sales. It's quite possible that it won't but I hope you can see that it's likely too soon to tell.

Here's some more statistics for you:

List of United States cities by crime rate

Now sort the table ascending by Total - Yearly Crime Rates per 100,000 people, see where Austin is at? #37, with a yearly crime rates per 100k people of 3612.23.

See where San Francisco is at? #94, with a yearly crime rates per 100k people of 6917.4, i.e. nearly 2x more crimes than Austin.
Why do you think selecting 2 cities is informative? You can easily pick two cities to show the opposite.

In Q3, Tesla and Genesis the only brands in California with increased sales relative to Q2.

Usually wrong to use "only":

"After selling 10,941 units of the Ford Mustang Mach-E during Q2, The Blue Oval has moved a grand total of 28,088 of its EV crossover through the end of Q3. That’s still considerably less than the Model Y at 156,455 units and the Model 3, which Tesla sold 144,081 copies of, but the Mach-E beat out every other EV on the market."

Yes, Tesla dominates everything so far still...As for the why, there is still limited choices so far. Maybe when Blazer EV and others show up. There is also limited supply. When I looked at the Mach-e, most/all dealers want a markup sadly and they seem to be getting them with low supply. I assume it's better now though.

"After selling 10,941 units of the Ford Mustang Mach-E during Q2, The Blue Oval has moved a grand total of 28,088 of its EV crossover through the end of Q3. That’s still considerably less than the Model Y at 156,455 units and the Model 3, which Tesla sold 144,081 copies of, but the Mach-E beat out every other EV on the market."

Yes, Tesla dominates everything so far still...

Dominates **EVs**

Which would be ashamed if they wouldn’t considering they are the pioneers….

Ford is just starting, splitting their production lines with ICE and EV’s…. Amazing …..

That seems quite obvious, Tesla has had high demand and limited production capacity for a while so it will still take some time to see if increased negativity will impact sales. It's quite possible that it won't but I hope you can see that it's likely too soon to tell.
I disagree with that primarily because of the point about Tesla having far and away the top market share in the major West Coast metro areas, especially the Bay Area. They have market share in the Bay Area that hasn't been seen since from any car company in America since GM in the 1950s. We're talking roughly 1 out of 4 new cars in the SF area being Teslas even despite a very limited selection of very expensive cars that all look almost identical stylistically, and despite constrained supply ultimately restricting the volume Tesla can push.

Maybe there will be some delayed impact, but if so why would it be delayed? Why haven't we seen any measurable impact in the last two years? Will that negativity be outweighed by the heavy subsidies that will start rolling in starting in a couple weeks? In 2032 when those subsidies run out, will Elon even still be running Tesla?

I think someone mentioned earlier that Musk’s kid coming out as Trans really did a number on him. I agree with this statement, it’s the reason he’s going all out against the “Woke Left”…….

I’m still waiting for him to call out the “Woke Right”…. You know, the ones who everything is a conspiracy, that the government is headed to a New World Orde etc. etc. etc.

Think about it….
When you add in the impact of COVID, the Biden Administration writing Tesla out of US EV history, the Infrastructure bill handing Tesla's competitors a free charging network, and the Russian invasion of Ukraine causing natural gas prices to increase globally, it wouldn't be a surprise if he had a breakdown.

Yes, Tesla dominates everything so far still...As for the why, there is still limited choices so far. Maybe when Blazer EV and others show up. There is also limited supply. When I looked at the Mach-e, most/all dealers want a markup sadly and they seem to be getting them with low supply. I assume it's better now though.
"Only" was in fact the correct word, because I said Tesla and Genesis were the only brands that had increased CA sales in Q3, not the only models.

Ford overall was down in Q3 in CA like everyone else.

I disagree with that primarily because of the point about Tesla having far and away the top market share in the major West Coast metro areas, especially the Bay Area. They have market share in the Bay Area that hasn't been seen since from any car company in America since GM in the 1950s. We're talking roughly 1 out of 4 new cars in the SF area being Teslas even despite a very limited selection of very expensive cars that all look almost identical stylistically, and despite constrained supply ultimately restricting the volume Tesla can push.

Maybe there will be some delayed impact, but if so why would it be delayed? Why haven't we seen any measurable impact in the last two years? Will that negativity be outweighed by the heavy subsidies that will start rolling in starting in a couple weeks? In 2032 when those subsidies run out, will Elon even still be running Tesla?

Because honestly, there hasn't really been ANY choice I feel the last two years. Some SUVs just showed up recently this year like the Ioniq 5, Mach-E and they can't make enough of them. For both those cars, a lot of marked up and all sold. Gas is also extremely expensive in CA. We all know that who live here.

I'd say in 5 years, the market will be very different. Unlike Europe nor China we don't get a lot of EV cars that American's want to buy honestly. Americans simply don't want small vehicles like the Bolt nor Leaf. That was pretty much it.

I personally think Tesla market share can't help but go down.

When you add in the impact of COVID, the Biden Administration writing Tesla out of US EV history, the Infrastructure bill handing Tesla's competitors a free charging network, and the Russian invasion of Ukraine causing natural gas prices to increase globally, it wouldn't be a surprise if he had a breakdown.

The whole Biden thing still amuses me though, if Tesla doesn’t need advertising they don’t need props from POTUS. Did Trump ever publicly praise Tesla during any of his White House events? I am honestly not sure.

Tesla’s place in the History books is written, and so is Musk’s which is why I don’t understand why he is working to actively sabotage his legacy.

No it's a few "anti woke" people amplifying the "threat" and pretending it's a real problem when it's not. It's easier to create fake "issues" than address the real ones. I'm not saying that some on the left haven't taken it too far, they have of course, that's what people always do, but the focus on those few is unwarranted.
No woke has gone wild imo. Like why are all the characters in our movies gay? Why instead of making a new compelling black princess but instead made Aerial black? Who asked for this? Do gay characters being gay advance the story ? Even Michael Bay's poor attempt at appeasing the Chinese actually has something to do with the story in his transformer movies.

Honestly all of this woke crap sprinkled into movies and TV shows has became as cringe as movie product placements. It's corporate America pretending to care but the lack of effort of incorporating diversity is pretty apparent. It's literally what white straight people think what minority and gays want which is totally not true. Social justice warriors gone wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.