Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather diverse group, actually. Pretty split among what you would consider the general political divide, actually. Some, staunch on both sides, but most in the middle.

But not one, not a single one, mentioned Twitter.
Some people are willing to hold their noses and buy a product from a company whose CEO does things they find objectionable in order to get the best product, and some aren't. Tesla has been pretty far ahead of the competition in recent years, so the same people would have to do some nose holding in order to go with an inferior product too. But as the competition catches up, this will rapidly start to change. The F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-E, EV6, Taycan, and Air are all pretty decent cars as far as I can tell. The big thing they lack at this point is the DC fast charging network.
All they wanted to talk about was FSD (so far, I'm the first to have it).
That's surprising, because that's the last thing I think of when comparing Tesla to the competition. FSD is so far from being ready, I basically don't even consider it at all.

Some people are willing to hold their noses and buy a product from a company whose CEO does things they find objectionable in order to get the best product, and some aren't. Tesla has been pretty far ahead of the competition in recent years, so the same people would have to do some nose holding in order to go with an inferior product too. But as the competition catches up, this will rapidly start to change. The F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-E, EV6, Taycan, and Air are all pretty decent cars as far as I can tell. The big thing they lack at this point is the DC fast charging network.

That's surprising, because that's the last thing I think of when comparing Tesla to the competition. FSD is so far from being ready, I basically don't even consider it at all.

Well, there's another consideration: most people are FAR less political than what are on this board, and ESPECIALLY those in this thread.

And I just don't buy the competition catching up bit, not now, not anytime soon.
Taycan - has some serious battery issues that have been being addressed quietly behind the scenes (MANY of the cars have had full pack replacements). OTA upgrades are still crap on this car. Performance, VERY good, and very good to drive (Porsche thoroughbred coming out there).
F-150 Lightning - decent first attempt, but lots of compromises so that they could continue to utilize the existing tools for the ICE version. This shows in terms of pretty bad efficiency, especially when towing. Personally, I've liked Rivian's approach far better (but they have horrid production inefficiencies).
Mach-E - every last one of the first ~50,000 were recalled due to a serious battery problem, one that is hardware, and not fixable with a software patch. The GT trim also has inadequate cooling, you can launch / race it ONCE and then it goes into effectively limp mode.
Air - nice car, horrid software (reboots take ~10 minutes, and the car reboots more than anyone would like). Motors on this one are FANTASTIC, but there are serious issues about sustainability for production, since Lucid is losing >$200,000 on each one they sell. The company only has about 9 months of cash on hand at the current burn rate.

I know you have your beef with Tesla software, and the gripes are legitimate. But go rent these cars (I have), they all have even far more serious software limitations, and some design and hardware issues.

FSD was "interesting" for them, not because of it's current usefulness, but because of the rate of advancement. No one was expecting it to be "production ready". I described it as a drunk 13 yo driving the car, needing constant supervision. I stand by that. But given that a year ago it was driving like a 2yo, the advancement cannot be denied.

Would be nice to see one with only EVs since I think non-EV people would migrate to EV if possible (and can charge at home). I can't see myself ever buying another ICE, but that's me. Even though other EV makers are much smaller, it's a good read to compare only EV sales. Maybe only their EV sales growth, days car sat on dealer lot/market (like if there was a comparable thing to housing DOM sales), etc...

I look at some other EV threads and some cars are still marked up for some brands and they sell with ADM.

4-6k here for a wrap. With a new car I also get some newer tech like AMD CPU and a heat pump. Bit more range too.

True on the tech, I guess if color was that important and you bought your car years ago, I assume you also paid a lot less than what they cost now? I think MY used to be like $49k.

Folks who ordered the base model F150 Lightning EV paid 40% less than prices now!

this whole "free speech absolutist" nonsense is a smokescreen used to implement Steve Bannon's "Flood The Zone with *sugar*" strategy. If it's all noise.. if it's all bullshit... if it's a nonstop cacophony of screeching and conflict... then there is no truth.

ElectricIAC, you can’t defend it.

$44B is worth it if you can win the election in 2024 with the popular vote against you.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Well, there's another consideration: most people are FAR less political than what are on this board, and ESPECIALLY those in this thread.

And I just don't buy the competition catching up bit, not now, not anytime soon.
Taycan - has some serious battery issues that have been being addressed quietly behind the scenes (MANY of the cars have had full pack replacements). OTA upgrades are still crap on this car. Performance, VERY good, and very good to drive (Porsche thoroughbred coming out there).
F-150 Lightning - decent first attempt, but lots of compromises so that they could continue to utilize the existing tools for the ICE version. This shows in terms of pretty bad efficiency, especially when towing. Personally, I've liked Rivian's approach far better (but they have horrid production inefficiencies).
Mach-E - every last one of the first ~50,000 were recalled due to a serious battery problem, one that is hardware, and not fixable with a software patch. The GT trim also has inadequate cooling, you can launch / race it ONCE and then it goes into effectively limp mode.
Air - nice car, horrid software (reboots take ~10 minutes, and the car reboots more than anyone would like). Motors on this one are FANTASTIC, but there are serious issues about sustainability for production, since Lucid is losing >$200,000 on each one they sell. The company only has about 9 months of cash on hand at the current burn rate.

I know you have your beef with Tesla software, and the gripes are legitimate. But go rent these cars (I have), they all have even far more serious software limitations, and some design and hardware issues.

FSD was "interesting" for them, not because of it's current usefulness, but because of the rate of advancement. No one was expecting it to be "production ready". I described it as a drunk 13 yo driving the car, needing constant supervision. I stand by that. But given that a year ago it was driving like a 2yo, the advancement cannot be denied.

The company to watch for is Hyundai/Kia as they have some pretty compelling options that stack up nicely against the 3/Y.

The biggest hesitation that I've seen in picking something other than a Tesla is concerns over road trip charging where nothing else comes anywhere close to the reliability and dependability of the Supercharging network. As time goes on I expect the Supercharger network to slowly open to non-Tesla's. This will make the Superchargers less attractive to Tesla owners due to crowding issues, and arguments with non-Tesla's that have to park funny to charge. But, the biggest impact will be to remove a barrier in getting a non-Tesla.

As to Elon I think the biggest issue is that he's too distracted to really contribute much of anything at Tesla, and the pace of innovation will suffer.

A big reason why I jumped ship to Rivian was simply out of boredom. I just didn't find anything in Tesla's lineup all that compelling anymore, and I wanted something different.

Now that I've had a Rivian for about 4 months I realize the only thing I really miss is dashcam. Rivian has there own version of Sentry mode, but they still haven't released a dash cam. The pace of firmware updates is pretty quick in terms of adding features so I expect to have that within a year or so.

I don't doubt that Tesla can continue to dominate sales wise due to production capabilities, low production cost, and the Supercharger network. But, long term I see them as being an option people go with when they want to spend a bit less money. Where they don't mind a more sparse interior and missing options like a downfacing 360 degree camera or proper blindspot monitoring.

Tesla is simply at a different place where they don't need a CEO that is the field of dreams kind of sales person. Instead they need a CEO that focuses on customer wants and needs. Where they also focus on day to day needs. Things like fixing the Berlin staffing issues.

Last edited:
The company to watch for is Hyundai/Kia as they have some pretty compelling options that stack up nicely against the 3/Y.

Yes, Kia is coming out with some really nice stuff. In addition, I believe their warranties are 10 years 100,000 miles?

It seems that Consumer Reports agrees with you on another important data point, reliability. The Kia EV6 received the highest score at 84,, Tesla model 3 was next that a mere 58 with the model S down at 25. I can't really say I agree as I've I am on my third S with very few / minor issues in 7 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.