Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You just can't get overtly political or engage in personal attacks against other members.
What I'd like is a clear direction on is
- How to respond to other members political attacks against you directly (or veiled attacks against groups)

I've tried multiple ways - and nothing seems to work.
- Report the post
- Respond to the post, correcting the statements (my post gets deleted, original post remains)

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and advocate8
Stating your opinion as a multiple tesla owner and stock holder can be viewed as trolling, if your not cheering for the home team. Sarcasm is not allowed, even though many a truth is spoken in jest. But blatant stock praise and Elon love is always ok. But don’t worry Elon will eliminate the trolls and publish the algorithm open source any day, as soon as he can put it in one stack.

Stating your opinion as a multiple tesla owner and stock holder can be viewed as trolling, if your not cheering for the home team. Sarcasm is not allowed, even though many a truth is spoken in jest. But blatant stock praise and Elon love is always ok. But don’t worry Elon will eliminate the trolls and publish the algorithm open source any day, as soon as he can put it in one stack.

Well, maybe he has somekind of a plan?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
There’s a fine line between constructive criticism and wholesale character assassination (99.999999% out of context) often seen on this thread by the haters.

It appears the haters are “big league mad” they can’t call EM an axis power dictator without getting called out by those of us with cooler heads on their histrionics.

• Disagree
Reactions: TSLY
There’s a fine line between constructive criticism and wholesale character assassination (99.999999% out of context) often seen on this thread by the haters.

It appears the haters are “big league mad” they can’t call EM an axis power dictator without getting called out by those of us with cooler heads on their histrionics.

Good thing he will NEVER have a chance at being an Axis Power Dictator…..

What I'd like is a clear direction on is
- How to respond to other members political attacks against you directly (or veiled attacks against groups)

I've tried multiple ways - and nothing seems to work.
- Report the post
- Respond to the post, correcting the statements (my post gets deleted, original post remains)
Reporting the post is correct choice here. Engaging with restricted content just creates more work for moderators, even if it does feel good to "correct" the disagreeable post.

Note that when reporting a post, it enters into our report queue which can be viewed by a number of different moderators, all of whom are trying their best to enforce the site rules but may have different interpretations. Think of us like a set of unpaid volunteer judges, who are all acting with our own set of priors. There are a lot of factors that go into deciding if something is going to be moved away, including the tone of the discussion, the member's posting history and account status, whether the political content is divisive or informative, etc.

I can tell you that after our internal discussion, we will do our best to respond to political reports by moving them away to Politics - Quarantine Thread, including any responses that quote them. Just so everyone knows, this can be problematic because well intentioned responses to political or snippy posts will get moved away and feelings get hurt. It's just not possible to edit out the quotes and the references of every post - if you quote, or even refer to a moved post, your post will be moved away as well in order to ensure it's not an orphaned discussion. No insult intended.

I don’t doubt that there are opportunist vultures who will take anything, often deliberately out of context and twist it to grift or blackmail people more successful than them.

EM is more of a kingmaker character IMHO if you ever get him into anything besides entrepreneurship (which would be a terrible waste of talent)
kingmaker ... lol. Big if true. outside of the business world who really give a flip about his views or endorsements? Let's be realistic...

Think of us like a set of unpaid volunteer judges, who are all acting with our own set of priors. There are a lot of factors that go into deciding if something is going to be moved away, including the tone of the discussion, the member's posting history and account status, whether the political content is divisive or informative, etc.
Thanks for your work moderating. Having moderated several forums for decades (including MyNissanLeaf) I understand how challenging it can be.

Is there a way to see the deleted post ? Sometimes a post gets deleted - I don't even know what post it is ... or why it was deleted. Many times I get reason for delete that is more entertaining than enlightening ("you know why I deleted this").

My last suggestion around moderation - is there a way the forum software can put all deleted / rejected posts and reasons in a thread ? I think this would greatly help transparency.

Reactions: JRP3
My last suggestion around moderation - is there a way the forum software can put all deleted / rejected posts and reasons in a thread ? I think this would greatly help transparency.
Our general rule is to move posts away, typically to Politics - Quarantine Thread or Snippiness 2.0. However, some posts need to be deleted, for instance if they threaten harm against a person/doxx/include racist or xenophobic language, etc., and those are going to be hidden forever.

On other forums I've frequented, deletion is the more common practice, so even if we're not 100%, I find that it's much more transparent here. There is one hiccup that is keeping at least one moderator from moving posts away and forcing them to delete, so I'll see if I can address that with the admins to better facilitate this transparency.

Our general rule is to move posts away, typically to Politics - Quarantine Thread or Snippiness 2.0. However, some posts need to be deleted, for instance if they threaten harm against a person/doxx/include racist or xenophobic language, etc., and those are going to be hidden forever.

On other forums I've frequented, deletion is the more common practice, so even if we're not 100%, I find that it's much more transparent here. There is one hiccup that is keeping at least one moderator from moving posts away and forcing them to delete, so I'll see if I can address that with the admins to better facilitate this transparency.
This is one of the best features of this forum. I once got into a spat with a mod on Flyertalk about routine deletion of posts that allegedly violate the rules, drawing the analogy between forum rules as statutory law and mod actions as case law, and asking what the purpose of having case law is if the courts are going to keep their rulings secret so that nobody can see how they're interpreting things. It benefits everyone to be able to see what kinds of posts are determined to fall afoul of which rules so that people can see in advance what not to do. It shouldn't be like playing a Mario game where you finish the level only because you died 20 times.

Last edited:
However, some posts need to be deleted, for instance if they threaten harm against a person/doxx/include racist or xenophobic language, etc., and those are going to be hidden forever.
I can 100% guarantee that I've never ever written any message (in any board or in real life, for that matter) that would come under that category. Could be the one moderator that can't move .... or a moderator simply doesn't like some of my posts ;) I should note I'm speaking in general - not about this thread.

• Disagree
Lawyers for Tesla shareholders suing the electric vehicle maker’s CEO Elon Musk over a misleading tweet are urging a federal judge to reject the billionaire’s request to move an upcoming trial to Texas from California.

Musk contends he will be treated unfairly by potential jurors in the San Francisco federal court where the 4-year-old case was filed.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.