Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, your typical. Name call and insinuation, instead of adult discourse.

So, even if we pull aside this article, which you apparently don't like because it sources a Huff Post article (which I HATE, btw, so it takes a lot for me to use them as a source), let's go with the obvious to everyone that has followed Tesla more than a microsecond:

1) Tesla is almost always portrayed in the MSM with some kind of negative slant, which if you read articles about other manuf's are FAR more "factual" in their portrayal of technology and companies.
2) This level FUD has gotten so high that at one point a Tesla FUD tracker was created:
As listed here, these are cleverly crafted so as not to actually directly lie (because that would be suable under libel laws), but to insinuate things and cultivate existing biases:
"As Peter Forman (aka Papafox), writing in CleanTechnica, explains, this is a carefully crafted narrative, assembled from grains of truth, cherry-picked facts, speculation, innuendo and appeals to peoples’ existing prejudices. For the media outlets that create it, it’s calculated to produce the maximum possible number of clicks. For others working behind the scenes, it’s intended to move the TSLA stock price."

Finally - my own experiences here are not naïve. As many here know, I have a close friend that for years was Tesla's head of legal. I won't direct quote him here, as he would not appreciate that, but his stories of how Tesla had accumulated mountains of evidence against other auto companies of paying Tesla employees to spy / report back processes and other secrets, were extraordinary. Other companies "anonymously reporting" concerns about Tesla to NHTSA, etc. And many other things which I simply cannot even talk about. And this is not an individual prone to hyperbole, he is one of the most honest and factual people I have ever had the privilege of knowing.

So, if someone here wants "hard evidence" of other companies smearing Tesla, that's probably been carefully hidden. But the sheer volume of articles over the past 12 years that easily fall under the FUD moniker could only be ignored by either an idiot, or someone with a hidden agenda that doesn't involve the truth. Which are you?
So you’re citing as evidence a narrative put together based on circumstantial stuff by someone on the main investor thread for CleanTechnica.
Not sure how car companies stealing from Tesla is pertinent. Corporate espionage has always been a thing.
But I definitely I believe you on that, there’s no reason not to if that sourcing is accurate.
And there is no question there were shorts out there trying to drive things, and frankly some of them would be in jail in a right-thinking world. But the SP is not really susceptible to shorting in a big way now, so who is it? them? the Koch brothers?
And yet after all these years, this supposedly irrefutable mountain of bad behavior, Hard evidence “probably been carefully hidden."
OK. So much shadowy stuff. Wow.

Last edited:
If you don't believe what you've seen with your own eyes and ears over the years I don't know what other "evidence" would convince you. Maybe you haven't been paying attention, do you remember the Broder article?
Yup, a technically challenged idiot. Who met his match in a numbers-spinning technoking.

Crazy, you can point me to water but you still can’t point me to any proven cases of media being paid off to push an anti Tesla narrative.

Paid off media? (moderator edit) That would literally be a felony. You think they are stupid enough to let that surface? Why do that when the FUD will suffice to convince those on the lower end of the IQ spectrum?

Last edited by a moderator:
So you’re citing as evidence a narrative put together by someone on the main investor thread for CleanTechnca.
Not sure how car companies stealing from Tesla is pertinent. Corporate espionage has always been a thing.
I believe you on that, there’s no reason not to if that sourcing is accurate.
And there is no question there were shorts out there trying to drive things, and frankly sone of the them would be in jail in a right thinking world. But the SP is not really susceptible to shorting in a big way now, so who is it? them? the Koch brothers?
And yet after all these years, this supposedly irrefutable mountain of bad behavior, Hard evidence “probably been carefully hidden."
OK. So much shadowy stuff. Wow.

OK, let's spin this 180. YOU provide evidence that what is in plain sight to 90% of the readers here is a clear anti-Tesla bias, is in fact, not the case.

Alright then. It does however show the undue influence of a hostile media, who are undeniably being paid to trash Elon at every opportunity. People are like cattle; they go with the 'heard'.

Paid off media? Are you daft? That would literally be a felony. You think they are stupid enough to let that surface? Why do that when the FUD will suffice to convince those on the lower end of the IQ spectrum?
No, but apparently you are. See quote above for the conversation the rest of us (moderator edit) are responding to.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, let's spin this 180. YOU provide evidence that what is in plain sight to 90% of the readers here is a clear anti-Tesla bias, is in fact, not the case.
It’s not possible to prove a negative. if you say something’s going on, you need to show that. People can’t waste their time dashing around the internet trying to prove all the things that aren’t really going on in the world...aren’t really going on.
And yeah, there’s some anti-Elon bias in a lot of corners now and its growing. But not because MSM is paid to intentionally, cynically boost it

90 percent of the readers here? No, not even here. Most of us aren’t here to stew about FUD. We’re mainly here for tech info on our cars, the latest on how long our order is going to take, upgrades on the way, stuff on the latest software release, and when my brother’s freaking CT order is going to come true, since he won’t waste time here himself. The investor threads are not TMC.

Last edited:
It’s not possible to prove a negative. if you say something’s going on, you need to show that. People can’t waste their time dashing around trying to prove all the things that aren’t really going on in the world.

90 percent of the readers here? No, not even here. Most of us aren’t here to stew about FUD. We’re mainly here for tech info on our cars, the latest on how long our order is going to take, upgrades on the way, stuff on the latest software release, and when my brother’s freaking CT order is going to come true, since he won’t waste time here himself. The investor threads are not TMC.

Why Tesla didn't sue this company into oblivion is beyond me. But that company FAKED a battery fire, was called out for it, and finally admitted it.

I'm sure you and your minions of mediocrity with move the goal posts again (you asked for an example - it was provided, but one won't be sufficient now).

So, here's a second example, where in China, Tesla actually did sue the end user for falsehoods (Chinese laws are stricter about this), and that person admitted that they did stage their brake failure.

Oh, wait, 2 examples not enough?

OK, you have the finance media that promoted an "accounting fraud" narrative originally brought up by TSLA short seller David Einhorn (Greenlight Capital). Despite the fact that Tesla is a publicly traded company that has to have a 3rd party auditor check their books (PWC in this case). The Finance media latched on to this to call Tesla the next "Wirecard".

Tesla won that lawsuit about accounting fraud.

For anyone that is objective, and compared media coverage of say Ford and Tesla, there is a CLEAR bias the permeates nearly everything written by the MSM. It's not present with other autos in remotely the same degree.

Why Tesla didn't sue this company into oblivion is beyond me. But that company FAKED a battery fire, was called out for it, and finally admitted it.

I'm sure you and your minions of mediocrity with move the goal posts again (you asked for an example - it was provided, but one won't be sufficient now).

So, here's a second example, where in China, Tesla actually did sue the end user for falsehoods (Chinese laws are stricter about this), and that person admitted that they did stage their brake failure.

OK, you have the finance media that promoted an "accounting fraud" narrative originally brought up by TSLA short seller David Einhorn (Greenlight Capital). Despite the fact that Tesla is a publicly traded company that has to have a 3rd party auditor check their books (PWC in this case). The Finance media latched on to this to call Tesla the next "Wirecard".

For anyone that is objective, and compared media coverage of say Ford and Tesla, there is a CLEAR bias the permeates nearly everything written by the MSM. It's not present with other autos in remotely the same degree.
You do realize an insurance company pulling this stunt does not count as “media” pushing any narrative right? They simply reported on it and then reported the update when it turned out to be bogus. I guess you don’t understand that. Which goes to show how people become misinformed so easily and so thoroughly.

How is any of this evidence of misbehavior by MSM? All these things were misbehavior by others. Reporting on it... SMH. Some Tesla/Elon stories, they dismiss without even bothering to report because they’re so far-fetched. We don’t hear about those.
Others they report but should be more careful about, such as stories about autopilot or FSD crashes. Which are real, they do happen sometimes, but there should be a pretty high bar for those ....as your hands are supposed to be on the freaking wheel, and also of course some are fabricated by people trying to dodge blame. So default should be not to report those.
Then I dunno, battery fires. Default should be skepticism on those too, but your average 23-year-old local TV reporter is gonna get breathless over just about anything that fits their bubble thinking.
Regardless, I’m beginning to be pretty sure the definition of MSM for some here is not the standard one.
Also, as to the differences in reporting on Ford? We’re focussed on Tesla here so we might not notice every story that makes ford look bad in some way. And there is no denying the word “Tesla” for any audience has a certain “Look Fido! A squirrel!” aspect... because of the cost, the hype, the novelty (at least they were a novelty until current production rates... now I park next to mine every time I go to the grocery)
So every time there’s a crash or whatever with a Tesla that breathless 23-year-old reporter chases the squirrel. Just like Elon is catnip to columnists etc.
There have been plenty of good, honest reports on the cars and the company in recent years... stories that point out the obvious edges over the competition, etc. I’ve posted links to a few of the better ones at times.

Yup, a technically challenged idiot. Who met his match in a numbers-spinning technoking.
He never once fully charged the car, on a long distance trip, in a new vehicle with new technology. If he had a failed to fill up a gas car at every opportunity and then complained he ran out of gas he'd be more than an idiot and one might question his motives. Of course actual Tesla owners had no problem making the same trip, neither did CNN.

He never once fully charged the car, on a long distance trip, in a new vehicle with new technology. If he had a failed to fill up a gas car at every opportunity and then complained he ran out of gas he'd be more than an idiot and one might question his motives. Of course actual Tesla owners had no problem making the same trip, neither did CNN.

Not gonna defend that moron. But def helpless with technology. Wouldn’t loan him my DeWalt cordless. You do realize you’re citing CNN?

Apparently, Musk tweeted about not-real covid vaccine side effects which prompted a bunch of anti-vaxxers to post fake videos of themselves experiencing tremors and spasms after receiving the covid vaccine:

"I had major side effects from my second booster shot. Felt like I was dying for several days. Hopefully, no permanent damage, but I dunno.”

Musk's legacy is going down the drain. 🤦‍♂️

Post-Vaccine Tremor Fakers Are Being Publicly, Delightfully Trolled

His tweet was met with videos of people supposedly experiencing post vaccine full body shakes, captioned with “Thanks Pfizer” or “Thanks Moderna.” Bogus claims from anti-vaxxers aren’t new, of course, and the transparent purpose of these videos is to spread further misinformation about covid vaccines.
We are witnessing much of this on our timelines, again, because of Musk. By his own admission (“I dunno”), he’s clueless when it comes to vaccine consequences. If he weren’t such a flaming idiot, he could amplify actual scientists and experts who say the vaccine is safe and highly effective at preventing covid, minimizing its symptoms, and stopping mass death. It’s a lot more helpful than spewing out totally unfounded hypotheticals and shrugging.

Last edited:

Again, not defending that guy or his ignorant story. But. This was literally 10 years ago. And yet somehow it’s the story people really keep bringing up.
It was a dumb story, no question. Maybe he even did some of those things to hype the outcome to boost his career. But the various stabs people took at trying to figure it out were inconclusive, and suggest it may have just BEEN incompetence.
But I think we also need to consider it through a new lens. Twitter.
Elon was really the only one saying he fabricated a story for financial gain. There was no proof of that. Zero.
And now, in the light of Elon’s hyping the nothingburger of the Twitter files event and the upcoming nothing burger of the Fauci Files, that’s about how much weight we should put on that sort of accusation.

Reactions: Brn2Run and B@ndit
Guys, the role of a journalist is to find interesting topics and write interesting stories on those topics. Tesla is an interesting topic. Fossil cars are not. And negative stories are generally more interesting.

So yes, there is absolutely an anti-Tesla media bias, but it’s ridiculous to conclude - without significant evidence - that there is some crazy Illuminati conspiracy to payoff all the world’s journalists just to keep Tesla down.

Especially since we all know that this is just the normal mechanism by which information spreads. Whether it’s the NYT, or some jackass on TikTok, bad news about interesting subjects sells. No one cares if a Ford catches fire, even if it’s an electric Ford. Journalists know that, and the public reinforces it.

Reactions: advocate8
Guys, the role of a journalist is to find interesting topics and write interesting stories on those topics. Tesla is an interesting topic. Fossil cars are not. And negative stories are generally more interesting.

So yes, there is absolutely an anti-Tesla media bias, but it’s ridiculous to conclude - without significant evidence - that there is some crazy Illuminati conspiracy to payoff all the world’s journalists just to keep Tesla down.

Especially since we all know that this is just the normal mechanism by which information spreads. Whether it’s the NYT, or some jackass on TikTok, bad news about interesting subjects sells. No one cares if a Ford catches fire, even if it’s an electric Ford. Journalists know that, and the public reinforces it.
Wait... The Illuminati are torching Fords? Gotta go. Twitter needs to hear about this... Right. Now.

Doesn't take a coordinated conspiracy. Simple fact is news outlets know who pays the bills, it's the advertisers. How hard do you think they will go at the people paying them as opposed to the people who not only don't pay them but are threatening the ones who do? Then add in the Merchants of Doubt techniques used by the fossil fuel industries which are also threatened along with auto dealers. And don't forget the well documented short and distort crowd who also use journalists to do their bidding. I can only assume some of you have not followed the entire story as closely or as long as some of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.