Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the only problem here is that (a) I consume large portions of the "corporate media" regularly, and (b) if it wasn't for the fact that I also peruse some liberal blogs, I never would have even heard of Glenn Greenwald.

Twitter, if course, is not any form of "media" - its where the actual media, and people who fancy themselves members of the media, and, finally, completely uncontrolled yahoos, post stuff.

Looking at Greenwald's wikipedia page shows that most of his writing has been, essentially blogging with a few books that are undoubtably read by the small group of left and right intellectuals, but are nowhere near the USA Today set.

I have read plenty of blog posts in which the author doesn't think much of Greenwald, but that's hardly the "corporate media."

The thing about Elon's "True" response is that it could only be written by a real 2023 twitter junkie like Elon. I sort of still can't get over the number of wannabe opinion posters that people take seriously these days. On a 1 to 100 scale of "how important is statement by person X" Elon is like in the 90s (only heads of state are really above him) and Greenwald is like, maybe, double figures, .... maybe. No one really cares what a blogger like Greenwald has to say about anything, really.

Yet, Elon actually responds to a tweet about Greenwald. Astonishing.
The kindest word for Greenwald may be erratic. Not the primary characteristic you want in someone whose job is supposedly to get at truth.

Reactions: JRP3
This thread has really gone off the rails, with barely a discussion of what is actually happening at twitter relative to everything else (Ukraine/Russia, Tesla, etc). I was expecting to see more about things like the artificial boost or similar stories, but I didn't even really see much especially comapred to everything else (not even people saying "fake news!") But I can see why the mods keep this thread open, it essentially functions as a defacto quarantine thread except that it is unlocked.

As an example of how unhinged it has become, after I hit the disagree ("gasp") on someone's post, someone actually took the time to look at my profile to find a post so that person could disagree me back, because I had not posted anything in this thread in quite a long time.

As for trying to separate the person from the company, I think even the US govt sees that if they're trying to work with Tesla to expand ev charging, even if their hand is forced; with them being the biggest EV player in the US with a network they can't afford to ignore Tesla.

As for this thread, I wonder how things would be different if this discussion happened IRL with faces to names. I can't imagine people saying the things they say here in person (unfortunately the past few years have shown that some people are willing to stoop to that level).
This is true but... a few things. For one, the thread as you note did go at the boost, and there’s really only so much to say about it. And frankly the hard news out of Twitter seems to have slowed some since the white-knuckle days when it was one wave of firings after another, one wild change of the blue checks or whatever after another. So ....solid Elon/Twitter new material is thinner on the ground.
It’s also possible some of the starch has gone out of it because hardcore people on both sides of the facts/hero worship divide have probably in many cases put each other on ignore? Just a guess. The thread is getting a lot fewer squawks of indignation from key denizens of the main investor thread so the ignore button may be in wide use.
Lastly, yeah, like much of America, most of us would probably get along well in person, if we stayed away from politics. And there was beer. But somehow I doubt this is where the revolution to civilize the internet will begin.
Heck, I’m not sure I have seen anyone convince anyone else of anything substantive here even once.

This is true but... a few things. For one, the thread as you note did go at the boost, and there’s really only so much to say about it. And frankly the hard news out of Twitter seems to have slowed some since the white-knuckle days when it was one wave of firings after another, one wild change of the blue checks or whatever after another. So ....solid Elon/Twitter new material is thinner on the ground.
It’s also possible some of the starch has gone out of it because hardcore people on both sides of the facts/hero worship divide have probably in many cases put each other on ignore? Just a guess. The thread is getting a lot fewer squawks of indignation from key denizens of the main investor thread so the ignore button may be in wide use.
Lastly, yeah, like much of America, most of us would probably get along well in person, if we stayed away from politics. And there was beer. But somehow I doubt this is where the revolution to civilize the internet will begin.
Heck, I’m not sure I have seen anyone convince anyone else of anything substantive here even once.

Yea I guess this thread is so huge that even any noticeable new item eventually gets drowned out under pages of things essentially amounting to "elon killed my cat" or something ridiculous like that.

True, I'm no stranger to the Ignore function myself, and I get the feeling it has been applied a lot to certain people in this thread.

Yea I know people who differ politically from me a lot who I do interact with IRL, and we get along perfectly fine, but during those interactions politics most of the time did not come up. I wonder how things would be different if it did, especially if we're talking about some more of the extreme viewpoints. I've heard from friends who have friends/relatives that have fallen off the deep end where those viewpoints did come up, and it was definitely a crap show.

Reactions: advocate8
Yea I guess this thread is so huge that even any noticeable new item eventually gets drowned out under pages of things essentially amounting to "elon killed my cat" or something ridiculous like that.

True, I'm no stranger to the Ignore function myself, and I get the feeling it has been applied a lot to certain people in this thread.

Yea I know people who differ politically from me a lot who I do interact with IRL, and we get along perfectly fine, but during those interactions politics most of the time did not come up. I wonder how things would be different if it did, especially if we're talking about some more of the extreme viewpoints. I've heard from friends who have friends/relatives that have fallen off the deep end where those viewpoints did come up, and it was definitely a crap show.
At some point there’s no fixing delusional. Which gets us precisely back on topic...

[...]

And yet somehow we have gone from viewing Elon as someone who carefully chooses every cerebral word spoken in public, to someone who likes to consume as well as promote verbal junk food and then appeared to act accordingly.

If things have eased up, it might also be because we have "managed" our expectations.

Reactions: advocate8
EVENTUALLY = moving the goal posts. Teslas are sold before they are made, unlike most every other car.

Nuff said.
Slow down there, partner. Your initial statement was ambiguous, I never moved the goal posts. But you just did by narrowing the meaning of what you meant by selling every car they make = selling every car that is custom ordered.

But that statement in itself is also irrelevant because Tesla’s business model is different from legacy car companies. Because of Tesla’s recent roots as a startup, they couldn’t afford to make a surplus supply of vehicles that could be purchased by a customer at a drop of the hat. Tesla had to take orders, accept a deposit, and then crank out a car. For a startup, building a surplus isn’t just potentially bankrupting, but it’s also impossible since they need the deposit money to fund their operations. So, when every car is literally ordered by a matching customer, of course they will sell each one they make. Tesla kept this model even though they aren’t a startup anymore.

An example of these two different business models can be seen in restaurants. A mom & pop diner will only make the burger after a customer orders it. A fast food restaurant will have a ready supply of food so a customer can get his order “immediately”. Each model has their pros and cons.

Same thing can be said for a custom furniture store which takes a month to build your chair vs a big box store that has a selection for you to take home that day.

So don’t be accusing me of moving goal posts when you were being vague, and don’t assume one business model is better than another just because Tesla adopted one. There are strengths and weaknesses to both. Wouldn’t it be great if someone goes to buy a Tesla, sees there’s a scratch in the paint on car one, and can immediately choose car two that is parked right next to it on the lot?

In Kurt Vonnegut’s Cat’s Cradle there is a brilliant scientist Dr. Felix Hoenikker, who was working in the Manhattan project. Felix became fascinated with turtles. He quit working on the Manhattan project to investigate this new interest. His daughter adviced the other people involved with the project to simply remove the turtles from his laboratory if they wanted to direct his attention back to the atomic bomb. When Felix found nothing in his laboratory to "play with and think about" except the atomic bomb research, he promptly began working on it again.

Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 12.36.30 AM.png

This thread has really gone off the rails, with barely a discussion of what is actually happening at twitter relative to everything else (Ukraine/Russia, Tesla, etc). I was expecting to see more about things like the artificial boost or similar stories, but I didn't even really see much especially comapred to everything else (not even people saying "fake news!") But I can see why the mods keep this thread open, it essentially functions as a defacto quarantine thread except that it is unlocked.

As an example of how unhinged it has become, after I hit the disagree ("gasp") on someone's post, someone actually took the time to look at my profile to find a post so that person could disagree me back, because I had not posted anything in this thread in quite a long time.

As for trying to separate the person from the company, I think even the US govt sees that if they're trying to work with Tesla to expand ev charging, even if their hand is forced; with them being the biggest EV player in the US with a network they can't afford to ignore Tesla.

As for this thread, I wonder how things would be different if this discussion happened IRL with faces to names. I can't imagine people saying the things they say here in person (unfortunately the past few years have shown that some people are willing to stoop to that level).

Yeah, this thread is sorta toxic and pointless with 2 notable constant smiley/thumbs reaction folks and roundabout talk of the same stuff. I wouldn't mind if it's shut down again, but agree it's the non-quarantine thread on Twitter for people to simply argue pointlessly. I await the day when hopefully, Twitter is irrelevant. I don't use it, don't follow anyone nor have an account, but enjoy reading about how the employees are doing there.

Near everything on the Internet wouldn't happen as much if folks have to do things IRL, but like real life, most people will just never engage or talk to anyone else due to possible violent consequences (do you really want to engage a crazy lunatic in the street IRL to disagree with their idea? We all simply won't care and the lunatic can just go on their way and believe whatever they want).

Reactions: advocate8 and JRP3
Other than my IP address and approximate location what would they know that I didn't provide?

ISPs already can pretty much sniff every last thing you browse and download, sometimes even through a VPN (VPNs "leak" - keep that in mind). And even as a cloud company I have found things in the firmware of "carrier grade" routers that would allow them to go much MUCH deeper than that. We once had a customer completely change brands of routers because of suspicious data transmissions that could not be fully traced.

Basically, Uncle Sam (and other govs) has his fingers into pies you didn't even know existed. And most of this was bipartisan in nature (i.e. both sides see it and fund it).

Status
Not open for further replies.