Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But apparently it's ok to accept money for advertisements on Twitter and then complain about going thermonuclear on companies when they cut back on advertising. 🤔
Yep, and when you buy a social media company that's primarily funded through advertising and don't shut down its advertising business, you become part of the machine with a thirst for advertising dollars. If Elon really hated people who take money for ads so much, he would have shut down his Twitter account and built his own site. Something like "elonmusk.social", entirely funded by his personal money, where he sets the rules and which takes no advertising money.
lol, every car made is eventually sold.
No, not every car. 🤣 Cargo ship carrying thousands of luxury cars to U.S. sinks in Atlantic Ocean

Last edited:
Elon is the richest person on the planet and therefore things cost more for lots of different reasons. The value to him from Twitter is something like:
  1. Intrinsic value of TWTR - $20Bn
  2. Potential profit in TWTR development - $100Bn
  3. Free advertising for 5 different business - $10Bn
  4. Protecting the planet by maintaining free speech etc. - $50Bn
  5. Political platform where he can say what he wants without being shadow banned - $50Bn
  6. Entertainment of using platform that he owns and has improved - $10Bn
  7. Starting point for x.com - $20Bn
$44Bn was good value.
The real list is. bit shorter:
1. Respond to addictive compulsion: $43b.
2. Opportunity to rationalize compulsion by painting it as a altruistic: $1B

Elon is the richest person on the planet and therefore things cost more for lots of different reasons. The value to him from Twitter is something like:
  1. Intrinsic value of TWTR - $20Bn
  2. Potential profit in TWTR development - $100Bn
  3. Free advertising for 5 different business - $10Bn
  4. Protecting the planet by maintaining free speech etc. - $50Bn
  5. Political platform where he can say what he wants without being shadow banned - $50Bn
  6. Entertainment of using platform that he owns and has improved - $10Bn
  7. Starting point for x.com - $20Bn
$44Bn was good value.
100 billion in potential profit?

I don't suppose you have a source for these numbers other than wistful musings?

Did you have anything to add to the tweet? Or just posting it because you found it interesting?

I wouldn't be surprised if Elon has coerced Twitter engineers to artificially boost Tesla's tweets along with Elon's. Elon can do whatever he likes with Twitter now that he owns it.

But if he did, he should disclose that he's doing so, since he said he would.

Reactions: advocate8
Uh huh….sure buddy.

Yeah, it's pretty clear that Tesla is not building to order any more, and probably hasn't done so for quite some time, because this isn't an efficient way to run an assembly line.

Otherwise you would be assigned a VIN well before the car rolls off the assembly line. You can do this, for example, with certain cars like Porsche.

The most efficient way to run the business is to look at aggregate orders and order trends, then batch manufacturing accordingly.

When the cars are built, ship them to the respective region, then alert customers a car with their configuration is on the way and if they want it now, better pay up. Once they've paid, assign the VIN, if they haven't, move on down the line to the next customer who is ready.

Calling @advocate8 for the decoder ring.

A nice long form article that touches on Elon moving to Austin, a little Twitter and Tesla. Tangentially related to this thread and I thought overall a great read. But I spent two decades in Austin so maybe I just relate closely to it. Anyway, click if you care.

The article is of course accurate, and as a deep dive even by NY’er standards, yields pretty startling level of nuance.
Just hope “progress” doesn’t destroy Tamale House East.
In short it’s the urban version of what’s happened to Burning Man. Still weird, but... weirdness that is increasingly packaged in plastic.
He’ll surely take Twitter HQ there eventually... so it can die and maybe Whole Foods mothership can move into his building and expand the walk-in beer cooler to even more grandeur.
I hadn’t been back in a while until last May for something tragic that coincidentally, led to another NYer story in November.
But it’s definitely spinning out of control.
But... unlikely twitter will be the straw that broke the back of weirdness I guess.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's pretty clear that Tesla is not building to order any more, and probably hasn't done so for quite some time, because this isn't an efficient way to run an assembly line.

Otherwise you would be assigned a VIN well before the car rolls off the assembly line. You can do this, for example, with certain cars like Porsche.

The most efficient way to run the business is to look at aggregate orders and order trends, then batch manufacturing accordingly.

When the cars are built, ship them to the respective region, then alert customers a car with their configuration is on the way and if they want it now, better pay up. Once they've paid, assign the VIN, if they haven't, move on down the line to the next customer who is ready.

Regardless, if you look at inventory even at the peak of it's height back in early Jan, it amounted to something stupid low . . . like 3 DAYS of production. That would account for pretty much just cancellations (people's life situations and ability to pay change). Those inventory levels are 10X lower than traditional auto, who average 30-60 days of inventory "on the lot" waiting to be sold at any given time.

Currently, Model Y's get snapped up the same day, there is effectively zero available inventory. Model 3s, there are a few hundred, but if you watchin VINs they are actually getting snapped up at a good clip.

Reactions: ElectricIAC

Tesla can do this because they don't have that many possible configurations. On their high volume non-performance models: 5 exterior colors, 2 wheel sizes, and 2 interior colors. 20 possible combinations. On the Performance submodels there is just one wheel size and 10 possible combinations. Porsche on the other hand has so many different combinations of options it would be almost impossible to match a configuration with a buyer if they weren't built to order.

Tesla adds one more interior color on their low volume, non Performance models, for a total of 40 possible combinations, but I suspect those are actually built to order because, well, they're low volume.

This thread has really gone off the rails, with barely a discussion of what is actually happening at twitter relative to everything else (Ukraine/Russia, Tesla, etc). I was expecting to see more about things like the artificial boost or similar stories, but I didn't even really see much especially comapred to everything else (not even people saying "fake news!") But I can see why the mods keep this thread open, it essentially functions as a defacto quarantine thread except that it is unlocked.

As an example of how unhinged it has become, after I hit the disagree ("gasp") on someone's post, someone actually took the time to look at my profile to find a post so that person could disagree me back, because I had not posted anything in this thread in quite a long time.

As for trying to separate the person from the company, I think even the US govt sees that if they're trying to work with Tesla to expand ev charging, even if their hand is forced; with them being the biggest EV player in the US with a network they can't afford to ignore Tesla.

As for this thread, I wonder how things would be different if this discussion happened IRL with faces to names. I can't imagine people saying the things they say here in person (unfortunately the past few years have shown that some people are willing to stoop to that level).

The article is of course accurate, and as a deep dive even by NY’er standards, yields pretty startling level of nuance.
Just hope “progress” doesn’t destroy Tamale House East.
In short it’s the urban version of what’s happened to Burning Man. Still weird, but... weirdness that is increasingly packaged in plastic.
He’ll surely take Twitter HQ there eventually... so it can die and maybe Whole Foods mothership can move into his building and expand the walk-in beer cooler to even more grandeur.
I hadn’t been back in a while until last May for something tragic that coincidentally, led to another NYer story in November.
But it’s definitely spinning out of control.
But... unlikely twitter will be the straw that broke the back of weirdness I guess.

Cool article.

I think one big miss is that the idea that Austin can protect itself from becoming “San Francisco” by not doing the things that SF does.

SF used to be a pretty fun place with good music, lots of funkiness, art, affordable apartments, etc. The tech boom of the late 90s and then again in the late 00s changed most of that.

It was the people who came to SF to chase their tech dreams that changed the city. Money money and money. Little to no concerns about changing the poorer parts of city (unless gentrification), improving public education, opening access or supporting lower paying jobs.

Guess what? Almost none of these folk were from SF and few from the general Bay Area.

This is a multi national group of people chasing their Big Tech dreams and lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

Of course Austin is a cool vibrant city.

But when they bleed that out it won’t matter to them. There will be someplace else.

Reactions: advocate8
It’s just terrible what they’ve done to him. Shameful.

Well the only problem here is that (a) I consume large portions of the "corporate media" regularly, and (b) if it wasn't for the fact that I also peruse some liberal blogs, I never would have even heard of Glenn Greenwald.

Twitter, if course, is not any form of "media" - its where the actual media, and people who fancy themselves members of the media, and, finally, completely uncontrolled yahoos, post stuff.

Looking at Greenwald's wikipedia page shows that most of his writing has been, essentially blogging with a few books that are undoubtably read by the small group of left and right intellectuals, but are nowhere near the USA Today set.

I have read plenty of blog posts in which the author doesn't think much of Greenwald, but that's hardly the "corporate media."

The thing about Elon's "True" response is that it could only be written by a real 2023 twitter junkie like Elon. I sort of still can't get over the number of wannabe opinion posters that people take seriously these days. On a 1 to 100 scale of "how important is statement by person X" Elon is like in the 90s (only heads of state are really above him) and Greenwald is like, maybe, double figures, .... maybe. No one really cares what a blogger like Greenwald has to say about anything, really.

Yet, Elon actually responds to a tweet about Greenwald. Astonishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.