Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Death of what? I would ask.

I have no problem believing that the off color jokes I may have laughed at in the 1970s were actually racist and have no place in today's culture. And if someone posts a stupid tweet when they are drunk or whatever, and it gets them fired, again, it's not the "end of civilization." I am simply not feeling threatened by those things or any of your other examples.

From where I sit, the most egregious example of cancel culture is the war on wokeism itself. And, sadly, the warriors appear to have no level of insight about that.
It’s simply an expression. Meaning over time, all things added up and we’d be afraid to say and do anything for fear of some stupid thing that was said years ago. It catches up to people.

From where I sit, if people cannot admit to an obvious problem and try to do better, that’s a problem. Trying to block free speech that people don’t agree with, is a major problem. That festers into much bigger issues over time.

Has anyone tried Counter Social? Seems interesting, created by a hacker.

It’s simply an expression. Meaning over time, all things added up and we’d be afraid to say and do anything for fear of some stupid thing that was said years ago. It catches up to people.

From where I sit, if people cannot admit to an obvious problem and try to do better, that’s a problem. Trying to block free speech that people don’t agree with, is a major problem. That festers into much bigger issues over time.
That may sometimes be true. In this case, however, I think that concern is out of proportion. It's the pushback that's the problem. See Musk's defense of Dilbert's creator. It's a "protests too much" situation. Feels like it isn't free speech he's ostensibly defending, but the racism itself.

Last edited:
If you haven't seen what the Dilbert writer said, he basically said white people should "get the he** away from black people": https://www.npr.org/2023/02/26/1159...-comic-strip-after-a-racist-rant-by-its-creat

And here is Elon's support of this man. Elon, a privileged white South African who lived an insulated life:

Elon is finally bringing his upbringing out on the stage. I dont understand why he doesn't understand that he is the Media? It's like Fox News saying "main Stream" when they are part of that same group lol

If you haven't seen what the Dilbert writer said, he basically said white people should "get the he** away from black people": https://www.npr.org/2023/02/26/1159...-comic-strip-after-a-racist-rant-by-its-creat

And here is Elon's support of this man. Elon, a privileged white South African who lived an insulated life:
Some believe Musk is sly as a fox. His endorsement of bigotry leads me to conclude Musk is slow as a fax.

In case anyone wants to understand a bit more of that situation, you can watch this.

Or not….and just continue to think what you will.

Last edited:
Reactions: bkp_duke
That may sometimes be true. In this case, however, I think that concern is out of proportion. It's the pushback that's the problem. See Musk's defense of Dilbert's creator. It's a "protests too much" situation. Feels like it isn't free speech he's ostensibly defending, but the racism itself.

I think the american public has moved past accepting verbal racism for good, just as it has moved past violence in demonstrations long ago, and while verbal racism isn't considered to be as bad as violence, it is considered to be something that needs a response. If that response won't be moderation on platforms like Twitter, then it will be something else, "freedom of speech" or not. The best way to prevent a wokeness that goes too far is a wokeness that doesn't. And I think that's what the republican echo chamber has difficulty accepting as a new reality.

In case anyone wants to understand a bit more of that situation, you can watch this.

What is there to understand? He was responding to a poll given to African-Americans and his conclusion was White People should get as far away from Black people as possible….. basically segregation and along comes Musk and says the “mainstream media”(him) is attacking poor White Folks….

There’s no excuse, no matter how you twist it

What is there to understand? He was responding to a poll given to African-Americans and his conclusion was White People should get as far away from Black people as possible….. basically segregation and along comes Musk and says the “mainstream media”(him) is attacking poor White Folks….

There’s no excuse, no matter how you twist it
Misguided perhaps but he’s pointing out that relations amongst those polled could be better.

What has made them worse one could theorize on all day. Ask 1,000 people and you’ll get 1,500 answers.

I'm now 45 minutes into that video and neither of the two seem have reflected on what I thought of in the first place, which is that a statement like "It's OK to be white" is something that sounds like it is said by racist. In case you don't understand why I would think that, take a look at this wikipedia page:

which includes this sentence: "The slogan has been supported by white supremacists including neo-Nazis.[4]"

Why? It's sounds like a lame response to systemic racism and the implied political responsibilities.

In a similar way as the statement "all lives matter" sounds like a rejection not only of that political movement called "black lives matter", but also like a flat preemptive rejection of the perception that black lives might be in a specific danger.

So I think that needs to be taken into account when interpreting the poll as worded, and as long as that doesn't happen, I think any discussion of the results of that poll is pointless. So I wonder what is happening there, or do I maybe have to spend more than 45 minutes to find out?

The funny thing with this moment in history is that two things can be simultaneously true but nobody wants to acknowledge it. Black people can be historically (and currently) discriminated against and obviously advantaged in others (as an attempt to correct past discrimination). White people can be historically advantaged in some ways and obviously currently disadvantaged in others. Police violence can impact black people disproportionately but that can be at least partly due to higher violent crime rates and being more likely to resist arrest. The media can give vastly more attention to unarmed killings of black civilians by police to make it seem racial but more unarmed white people are killed by police each year (in raw numbers). Yet somehow we’ve decided that only one half of those statements can be discussed all of the sudden.

And why is nobody asking why they hell was there a poll asking people if they agreed with the statement that “It’s ok to be white”? What value comes from that? And how is one to take the result where only 53% of black people say yes? Even if you are fully converted to “anti racism” and accept ask the dogma does that result not concern you? Does anyone think this level of racial trolling is gonna end well for society. I’ve got multi multi racial kids how do y’all think this makes them feel?

I miss the 90s and 2000s when colorblind was the goal and believing that a woman (man) could behave in stereotypically masculine (feminine) ways but still be a woman (man). How they hell did we get here? It’s like all those crazy professors we used to scoff at in our forced humanities elective somehow took over the discourse.

Last edited:
And why is nobody asking why they hell was there a poll asking people if they agreed with the statement that “It’s ok to be white”? What value comes from that?
Increasing racial tensions.
And how is one to take the result where only 53% of black people say yes?
Many black people aren’t familiar with the origin of the slogan.

I think the american public has moved past accepting verbal racism for good, just as it has moved past violence in demonstrations long ago, and while verbal racism isn't considered to be as bad as violence, it is considered to be something that needs a response. If that response won't be moderation on platforms like Twitter, then it will be something else, "freedom of speech" or not. The best way to prevent a wokeness that goes too far is a wokeness that doesn't. And I think that's what the republican echo chamber has difficulty accepting as a new reality.

Due to some other blog time wasting, I had cause to re acquaint myself with John Stuart Mill. In addition to finding his "most stupid people are conservative" quote very entertaining, I also noted that Elon appears to be an adherent.

Specifically, I had forgotten that in "On Liberty" one of Mill's primary points was that a law, imposed upon the citizenry, was only valid to prevent harm. He excluded laws which were intended for people to live better lives (I am guessing this was formed due to anti-Church of England "moral" laws). He expressly included laws aimed at preventing omissions (a failure to act) as ones that were valid in preventing harm.

Apparently, he did say that he didn't feel "offensive speech" to fall into the category of "harm."

There is a pillar of modern conservatism right there. "Wokeness" to them includes laws which suppress speech which they feel is merely offensive.

This of course, fails to take into account the 150 odd years from the publication of "On Liberty" to today. I would suggest its difficult to argue that many forms of speech that Mill might have considered merely offensive have now been experienced by enough people to result in a harmful effect as to certain segments of the population.

You could claim to be a classic liberal in the way Mill was, but I don't think one can leave "harm" defined as Mill might have defined it in 1850.

• Helpful
Reactions: evermore
The funny thing with this moment in history is that two things can be simultaneously true but nobody wants to acknowledge it. Black people can be historically (and currently) discriminated against and obviously advantaged in others (as an attempt to correct past discrimination). White people can be historically advantaged in some ways and obviously currently disadvantaged in others. Police violence can impact black people disproportionately but that can be at least partly due to higher violent crime rates and being more likely to resist arrest. The media can give vastly more attention to unarmed killings of black civilians by police to make it seem racial but more unarmed white people are killed by police each year (in raw numbers). Yet somehow we’ve decided that only one half of those statements can be discussed all of the sudden.

And why is nobody asking why they hell was there a poll asking people if they agreed with the statement that “It’s ok to be white”? What value comes from that? And how is one to take the result where only 53% of black people say yes? Even if you are fully converted to “anti racism” and accept ask the dogma does that result not concern you? Does anyone think this level of racial trolling is gonna end well for society. I’ve got multi multi racial kids how do y’all think this makes them feel?

I miss the 90s and 2000s when colorblind was the goal and believing that a woman (man) could behave in stereotypically masculine (feminine) ways but still be a woman (man). How they hell did we get here? It’s like all those crazy professors we used to scoff at in our forced humanities elective somehow took over the discourse.
At one point one has to take a step back and look at how real people everyday live and stop listening to the grifters and identity hustlers who only have a job as long as there’s animosity (even if manufactured) present.

Cui Bono?

Reactions: ccook
It’s Okay To Be White is a trick trope, akin to "White Lives Matter", posed by white supremacists. The phrase “It’s Okay To Be White” is a slogan popularized in late 2017 as a trolling campaign by members on 4chan. The idea behind the campaign was to choose an ostensibly innocuous and inoffensive slogan, put it on fliers, then place the fliers in public locations. The skinheads assumed “liberals” would react negatively and condemn the fliers or take them down, thus “proving” that liberals did not even think it was “okay" to be white. Adams is a white supremacist and QElon seems to be right behind him.

I'm now 45 minutes into that video and neither of the two seem have reflected on what I thought of in the first place, which is that a statement like "It's OK to be white" is something that sounds like it is said by racist. In case you don't understand why I would think that, take a look at this wikipedia page:

which includes this sentence: "The slogan has been supported by white supremacists including neo-Nazis.[4]"

Why? It's sounds like a lame response to systemic racism and the implied political responsibilities.

In a similar way as the statement "all lives matter" sounds like a rejection not only of that political movement called "black lives matter", but also like a flat preemptive rejection of the perception that black lives might be in a specific danger.

So I think that needs to be taken into account when interpreting the poll as worded, and as long as that doesn't happen, I think any discussion of the results of that poll is pointless. So I wonder what is happening there, or do I maybe have to spend more than 45 minutes to find out?
This is because the roughly 6% of progressive activists that drive the online narrative don’t think or speak like most of the rest of the country when it comes to race relations. Whiteness might be an abstract power structure to them where it is just the state of being white to about 80% of the population. That’s why the Washington post can call a mentally ill black person beating the sh*t out of an old Asian lady a product of “white supremacy” while most everyone else thinks it is just a crazy dude beating up someone’s grandma. It’s like the ether explaining the propagation of light in a vacuum… It’s just there, always, in every situation because it has to be otherwise their other theories don’t work anymore.

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke and B@ndit
Increasing racial tensions.

Many black people aren’t familiar with the origin of the slogan.
If the poll was to judge the slogan under a specific context then the context should have been provided with the question. Regardless of how the phrase allegedly started, there is no reason to think that the average person would perceive it that way. And ones reaction to the result of the poll is entirely based on how the question is perceived. It’s racial trolling nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.