Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At one point one has to take a step back and look at how real people everyday live and stop listening to the grifters and identity hustlers who only have a job as long as there’s animosity (even if manufactured) present.

Cui Bono?
My company is minority owned, I haven’t worked directly under a white male supervisor in 15 years and we are still subjected to nonsense trainings where you know better than to question anything that’s said even if it is demonstrably false. They even just hired a DEI administrator and started creating “affinity groups” mostly based on race, the time where you could just ignore this stuff is past.

Reactions: bkp_duke
Here’s the original video of his podcast at the point where he discusses the poll. There’s no indication he sees the phrase as you describe and every indication that he sees the poor polling of the phrase as anti white bias in the black community.

Y’all can judge for yourselves.

Agreed, that's why I said he might be a "victim" of the originators of the slogan, and why I pointed out earlier that neither of the two (in the other video) reflected on that.

He definitly seems able to understand the slogan, I don't know why he hasn't, perhaps just had a bad day or listened too much to anti-wokeism.

And therein lies the con. 2015? How about since 1953? Ok, maybe passage of the Civil Rights Act in 1964 then.

I was tempted to go with 1866, but the point is that for public policy purposes its not a question of what the vast majority of people think themselves.

The vast majority not only do not think bank robbery is OK, and the vast majority will go through life never personally committing a bank robbery.

That does not mean we don't need laws making bank robbery illegal.

Back in the day, George Wallace said outright that he believed that the races should be kept separate. The George Wallaces of today are more subtle, and set fort a better rhetorical argument, which is, "the vast majority of [you] don't believe [fill in racist effect], but the liberals believe you are racists!"

Its such a better argument. Nobody likes being called a racist. You can find plenty of people who, themselves, have never had the opportunity or acted in a racist way themselves.

The little detail that actual liberals aren't running around calling people racists is easily sidestepped when you have an entire conservative ecosystem dedicated to telling their conservative audience what liberals actually think and do. Who are you gonna believe? Us or some actual liberals you don't even know?
I’ve tried for about 10 minutes to understand the point you are trying to make but am unable to do so. I’m not sure what you’re talking about honestly.

Does this look like what we are currently doing is improving race relations since 2015?

1677546757511.jpeg

My point is that most Americans consider a person racist if they discriminate against people based on race. Anti racists think that a person is racist if they aren’t actively anti racist. The two views are incompatible and so people talk past each other because they don’t even agree on terminology.

Last edited:
Agreed, that's why I said he might be a "victim" of the originators of the slogan, and why I pointed out earlier that neither of the two (in the other video) reflected on that.

He definitly seems able to understand the slogan, I don't know why he hasn't, perhaps just had a bad day or listened too much to anti-wokeism.
That’s an interesting take. One could also argue that most folks actually don’t look at the phrase in the way you are supposing they should and that many of the people answering “No” the poll are actually bigoted against white people and he’s responding in the way that many would.

I’ve spent most of my life in a large middle class metro that is 30% black. My middle school was 70% black. My high school was 30% black. My college was 30% black. I’ve dated black women and am in a mixed race marriage. I interact with lots of black folks on a daily basis in both personal and professional settings. I don’t say this to imply that I’m “down” with black folks… only to show that being around and interacting with black folks is not novel or unusual to me.

There are a fair amount of black folks that just don’t like white people I hate to brake it to you. There are also a lot of (especially older) black folks that are pretty conservative politically and would agree with a lot of what he says in is rant about education and the community.

All that said, for the most part we all get along pretty well down here just like we do with the white folks. It’s actually far more integrated than when I lived up north or out west since most everyone is military affiliated one way or another. Racial balkanization of America is not the answer…

When ALL participants are in on it, and the entire point is to bring it to the surface, sure.

However, I think many, many, many people do think it's okay to be racist in real life. Though I believe they don't see it as racist, just reality...because they live in a pathetic reality they've created for themselves.
I agree with that and I changed my original post before your response was saved because yes, plenty do think it’s okay.

That’s an interesting take. One could also argue that most folks actually don’t look at the phrase in the way you are supposing they should and that many of the people answering “No” the poll are actually bigoted against white people and he’s responding in the way that many would.

I’ve spent most of my life in a large middle class metro that is 30% black. My middle school was 70% black. My high school was 30% black. My college was 30% black. I’ve dated black women and am in a mixed race marriage. I interact with lots of black folks on a daily basis in both personal and professional settings. I don’t say this to imply that I’m “down” with black folks… only to show that being around and interacting with black folks is not novel or unusual to me.

There are a fair amount of black folks that just don’t like white people I hate to brake it to you. There are also a lot of (especially older) black folks that are pretty conservative politically and would agree with a lot of what he says in is rant about education and the community.

All that said, for the most part we all get along pretty well down here just like we do with the white folks. It’s actually far more integrated than when I lived up north or out west since most everyone is military affiliated one way or another. Racial balkanization of America is not the answer…
I respect your take, but you’re just buying (if only in passing) into this kooky identity politics garbage by acknowledging and giving them an inch of space in your head.

Pay the identity hustlers and their acolytes no mind as it’s never enough and they’ll never not be angry over something. It’s like volunteering for a circular firing squad.

Reactions: philw1776
I don't think it is really difficult to understand the question, but maybe I misunderstand your point.

It's not only ridiculous, but also obviously so. And obviously a question about racism, one that would be ridiculous in a literal sense. So if you have heard the name "Proud Boys" you can easily guess what's behind such a phrase. Or if you have heard the phrase "all lives matter" as rejection of "black lives matter". Or if you heard anyone object to wokeism, and who hasn't?

It quite clearly expresses an attitude that one can easily disagree with.

Besides, it seems like Scott Adams intentionally made himself a victim of "woke" believing that can prove it wrong, tooting in the same horn as the originators of the slogan, perhaps actually being their victim. Too bad since I kind of liked some of the Dilbert cartoons.
I think we are both responding to someone up thread who argued that for some the question isnt' obvious trolling.

We both agree it is, and your example of what do you think of "all lives matter" nicely fits the same category.

I think we are both responding to someone up thread who argued that for some the question isnt' obvious trolling.

We both agree it is, and your example of what do you think of "all lives matter" nicely fits the same category.
Actually I argued that for most (not some) the question isn’t obvious trolling. All lives matter is completely different because it is a direct response to the phrase black lives matters. Y’all may see it in the same light because of the social circles you run in but I assure you the average person knows little about any “racist” origin to the phrase “It’s ok to be white”. Maybe 20% of the population pays attention to that kind of stuff… the people on this forum are just disproportionally in that 20%.

Not paywalled version for the non political junkies among us. 😂

Here’s the actual wording of the poll. Absolutely no context.

Last edited:
I’ve tried for about 10 minutes to understand the point you are trying to make but am unable to do so. I’m not sure what you’re talking about honestly.

Does this look like what we are currently doing is improving race relations since 2015?

View attachment 912116

My point is that most Americans consider a person racist if they discriminate against people based on race. Anti racists think that a person is racist if they aren’t actively anti racist. The two views are incompatible and so people talk past each other because they don’t even agree on terminology.
My point, somewhat more simply is that the phrase:

Anti racists think that a person is racist if they aren’t actively anti racist.
Is wrong, its conservative spin.

What do I base that opinion on? I am as liberal as can be if you eliminate college students, professors, and anyone else who posts nonsense on the internet.

I live in a liberal area of a liberal state. All my close friends have professional degrees, all of them are liberal. Some have run for political office. My wife and I actually sit through ridiculous meetings of all of the candidates for LA county board of supervisors, including the no hopers who have no chance of winning. Volunteer for every Dem higher office campaign. Given money to who knows how many politicians who, after all, are nothing but politicians.

If anyone says, "aniti racists think that a person is racist if they arent' actively anti racist" and embedded in that sentence is the possibility in which "liberals" can be substituted for the term "anti-racists" -- its a BS conservative talking point.

The most advanced thinking on the liberal side of things today is not that the problem is there are too many individual racists. The problem is that certain structures produce racist outcomes. And those structures persist. No one I know even bothers, in a serious way, taking a tally of who might be "racist" and who isn't racist.

The most advanced thinking is that it isn't helping racial equity at all, for me, personally, to be anti-racist in thought and deed. That only helps me, or the people I know. If all it took was for a majority of people to agree that racist actions are bad, we'd be done and dusted. But we are not. Its systemic. Its worse then "let's add up the admitted racists and the admitted non-racists and if we can get to 70% non racists its a win."

If conservatives were paying attention to actual liberals, they would have noted that the phrase "white privilege" is used in the context of white people trying to use their anti-racism as some sort of badge of honor. I shouldn't break my arm patting myself on the back that I voted for Obama twice, basically.

As for the poll, OK, I'm white, I don't really think that all of the African Americans I know or don't know really think about me one way or the other. Since I'm not a cop about to shoot their kid, they probably don't think about me at all.

For black people the poll is even more obvious, we went from an African American president to a guy as president who thought former confederate statutes are "fine." A black person might logically assume, without taking their own poll, that since 70 million people voted for this guy, that there are plenty out there who dont' like them.

The genius of conservative spin is to take the phrase "the U.S. has systemic racism in its society" and run with it, and say "liberals are calling you a racist."

Its absolute genius. They know that the average person, for sure, is not engaged in contemporary racial studies. They know the average person thinks mandatory work training is a waste of time and b.s. And they know the average person does not view themselves as members of a superior race.

The fact that that is not what liberals mean or think is no problemo. They know their intended audience.

I mean, this Dilbert guy actually thinks any bad outcome on his comic strip is because he is white? What is the level of THC in whatever he is smoking?

Since I'm not a cop about to shoot their kid, they probably don't think about me at all.
GTFO with that nonsense. No cop is about to shoot a black persons kid. 10-20 unarmed black men and about 30-40 unarmed white men are shot by police each year per the Washington post data… in a country of 300 million people. Police violence is an issue but it makes ups small percentage of total homicides. You’re spewing inflammatory propaganda…

As far as the anti racist vs non racist definition, I got it from my mandatory DEI training at work. Are you honestly telling me you are unaware of this worldview but so tuned in to politics that you know the obscure origin of the phrase “It’s ok to be white”… I mean it’s possible but I have a hard time believing it.

I’m simply describing the views of the progressive left relative to the general population. I’m not making this sh*t up, Pew has extensive research on this.

That said we’re getting off topic. My contention is that Dilbert and many of the people who answered the poll probably had no idea that there may be a “racist” origin to the phrase “It’s ok to be white “ and I have provided evidence to support my position. You are welcome to age or disagree but letting this continue into politics (partly my fault) is counter productive and against forum policy.

Last edited:
GTFO with that nonsense. No cop is about to shoot a black persons kid. 10-20 unarmed black men and about 30-40 unarmed white men are shot by police each year per the Washington post data… in a country of 300 million people. Police violence is an issue but it makes ups small percentage of total homicides. You’re spewing inflammatory propaganda…

As far as the anti racist vs non racist definition, I got it from my mandatory DEI training at work. Are you honestly telling me you are unaware of this worldview but so tuned in to politics that you know the obscure origin of the phrase “It’s ok to be white”… I mean it’s possible but I have a hard time believing it.

I’m simply describing the views of the progressive left relative to the general population. I’m not making this sh*t up, Pew has extensive research on this.

That said we’re getting off topic. My contention is that Dilbert and many of the people who answered the poll probably had no idea that there may be a “racist” origin to the phrase “It’s ok to be white “ and I have provided evidence to support my position. You are welcome to age or disagree but letting this continue into politics (partly my fault) is counter productive and against forum policy.
It is a tesla motors club, after all, but this is, somewhat ironically a great place for policy since people, certainly you. Do not come here to troll.

After spending minutes wading through Kendi’s summary through your link above, I will leave it that he makes my point. As an academic, he’s not interested in calling people racists, hes pointing out that racism is so systemic no one gets to call themselves a racist (bad) or an anti racist (good) and call it a day, there are endless actions or inactions which are one or the other. Looking at it that way, I’ve had a racist day myself.

But one the other hand, I mean Kendi is a college professor, he’s not a policy maker and no one, effectively, has even read his book. It took a bit more digging but overall sales of “How to be an anti racist” is like 300,000 copies, note that in 2017 sales of Meir Kamph sold 75,000 copies in germany, but no one cites it as proof of anything.

You appears to cite Kendi as proof that people don’t like being called racists by anti racists. I’m sure they don’t. But Kendi would also point out that I don t get to call anyone a racist either. if that sounds silly of course it’s silly, Kendi is a professor intellectual, and does not represent liberal mainstream thought in any way

... Y’all may see it in the same light because of the social circles you run in but I assure you the average person knows little about any “racist” origin to the phrase “It’s ok to be white”. Maybe 20% of the population pays attention to that kind of stuff… the people on this forum are just disproportionally in that 20%. ...

Coincidence or not, that loosely corresponds to the precentage of those who disagreed with the statement in the Rasmussen poll.
(Not counting those who were not sure.)

Reactions: golfcart
Bro, you know you can still grant ownership stake as compensation in a private company, right?

If EM is willing to throw high performers a bone in exchange for their hard work, let him. What’s there to be outraged about?
Of course I know that. Nothing to be outraged about. I just think it’s funny to talk about stock incentives for a mature company that’s $12 billion in debt and described by the CEO as a “non profit.”
If it’s equity grants I’m curious what valuation they’re quoting to employees. Word was they were trying to get more funding at a $44 billion valuation.

Reactions: B@ndit
Here’s the original video of his podcast at the point where he discusses the poll. There’s no indication he sees the phrase as you describe and every indication that he sees the poor polling of the phrase as anti white bias in the black community.

Y’all can judge for yourselves.
So you're saying that because he disingenuously pretends to believe that the poll means something, and then twists it to mean something it clearly doesn't, that means he's genuine? Just how stupid do you think he is? And how gullible are you?

This supposed poll was pretty much equivalent to asking people whether they agree or disagree that "Black lives matter". It's trivially obvious that (almost) everybody would agree that that's the case, but many conservatives wouldn't agree because they would perceive the question as trying to gin up a fake political result that they don't like.

The use of the phrase "OK to be white" is transparent race-baiting, at least to anybody who recognizes it. I didn't, but it looked like trolling to me. And Scott Adams, as guy who has been involved in racial politics in the past, was certainly familiar with it. Excusing his behavior as honest ignorance is embarrassingly stupid.

At one point one has to take a step back and look at how real people everyday live and stop listening to the grifters and identity hustlers who only have a job as long as there’s animosity (even if manufactured) present.

Cui Bono?
But that would put Fox News out of business entirely. Manufactured outrage is their only stock in trade. For profit. The revelations from the Dominion lawsuit have made that entirely public now.

Status
Not open for further replies.