Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened to it? It sucked.

I mean, not just the lack of moderation, but also the software from 1998.

As awesome as their vehicle engineering is, their internal IT has always been hot garbage.

Anyway, twitter will still be moderated. Even 4chan is moderated. It's just likely to be moderated somewhat differently.

One problem Elon has though is he seems to default assume 'People are smart and reasonable and if you give them the chance to examine all the information they'll apply critical thought to things for themselves and come to the right conclusions"

Which is certainly true for SOME humans... but is kind of not supported as true for MOST of them based on the entirety of human history.

Imagine dojo being fed with Twitter data.

Imagine the impact that will have on Twitter to detect bots, understand viral human behavior, identify abusive content, etc.

Imagine the impact that Twitter data will have on NN that can be plugged into Optimus robots.

So many synergies. Wow.

Dojo has solved the FSD problem already. It’s like magic. Oh wait..

It has solved the neural net wipers wiping uncontrollably. Oh wait..

Im sure it will perform brilliantly for Twitter. Yep. Very sure.

• Funny
Reactions: JRP3
Dojo has solved the FSD problem already. It’s like magic. Oh wait..

It has solved the neural net wipers wiping uncontrollably. Oh wait..

Im sure it will perform brilliantly for Twitter. Yep. Very sure.
So Tesla and SpaceX have done 90 out of 100 things and people complain about the 10 things not solved yet. Gotta love it.

And let every hoodlum and Trump come in crap all over the place! 😜
Better to have those people on a public forum where others can dispute their BS and seen by all.

Otherwise it’s just like the news stations where fox viewers will never see the other side (and same with CNN).

I just hope it’s done well to show something like a link from the original tweet showing proof to the contrary. We shall see how it’s implemented. I figure give this about a year and then evaluate.

So Tesla and SpaceX have done 90 out of 100 things and people complain about the 10 things not solved yet. Gotta love it.

Gotta love the fanboys who thinks Elon poops cotton candy.

I am specifically complaining about things that everyone dreams is magic. Things like ‘neural net’. Or Dojo. As if just employing them will automagically solve very hard to solve problems.

Dilettantes. Like you, sir.

Better to have those people on a public forum where others can dispute their BS and seen by all.

Otherwise it’s just like the news stations where fox viewers will never see the other side (and same with CNN).

I just hope it’s done well to show something like a link from the original tweet showing proof to the contrary. We shall see how it’s implemented. I figure give this about a year and then evaluate.

That worked real well for the now dead Tesla forums. I was there since 2011. Initially it was full of enthusiasts and early adopters. Then came the late adopters, and after that, a lot of riffraff. Place went down the tubes.

Here is what one of the users on this thread already said: in a few years, Elon will go “oh, I underestimated the complexity of this thing..” He will have moved on to the next shiny thing by then. 😐

I think there is a good opportunity for a Twitter rival (not the Trump‘s LieSocial, good god, no 🙂) to come up.

I‘d even bet some of the Twitter folks leaving (you can bet there will be a huge turnover) will start something to rival Twitter.

Gotta love the fanboys who thinks Elon poops cotton candy.

I am specifically complaining about things that everyone dreams is magic. Things like ‘neural net’. Or Dojo. As if just employing them will automagically solve very hard to solve problems.

Dilettantes. Like you, sir.
Elon has his faults. We all do. Same as silly statements like “fanboys who think Elon poops cotton candy” while in turn complaining how the tesla forums went downhill.

Dojo may be dead if NVDA chips are good enough for training.

Of course these things won’t “automagically” happen but let’s at least give it a bit of time before declaring one way or the other. Some improvements could be done. He may end up making it public again after putting in the changes he wants to do and make a killing.

The Tesla forums were not a priority for Tesla. I too was on there since around 2014.

Let another rival to Twitter start up. If it’s better, hopefully it will win. But the current form and status quo seemed to be a dead end.

If you are redshift from the old Tesla forum, I remember agreeing quite often with you.

Elon has his faults. We all do. Same as silly statements like “fanboys who think Elon poops cotton candy” while in turn complaining how the tesla forums went downhill.

Dojo may be dead if NVDA chips are good enough for training.

Of course these things won’t “automagically” happen but let’s at least give it a bit of time before declaring one way or the other. Some improvements could be done. He may end up making it public again after putting in the changes he wants to do and make a killing.

The Tesla forums were not a priority for Tesla. I too was on there since around 2014.

Let another rival to Twitter start up. If it’s better, hopefully it will win. But the current form and status quo seemed to be a dead end.

Okay,I apologize for coming across so harshly.

Here is my problem. Let’s say someone, let’s just call him Trump, comes on, and incites a mob that leads to real violence. Something even more horrible than Jan 6 Capitol riots.

Will Dojo prevent that from happening? I don’t think so. He might say something seemingly innocuous, like “let’s take the country back from the liberals!”

or, the “elections were a COMPLETE sham!”

Which cannot possiblly trigger any Dojo magical AI neural net algorithm gizmo to filter it out. The words are not really egregious per se.

So who is going to really moderate all that stuff? Humans. You know, like the ones at Twitter right now?

Will Elon take responsibility once *sugar* happens? Also, no. He is not known to be humble, per se.

I am happy to be proven wrong, but this whole saga has a tragicomic feel to it. I tend to think I have sussed out Elon and his shortcomings. I feel his shortcoming will be paying through his nose for an entity he might not relish owning, in 5-6 years.

By then, he will probably be the first person to reach a Trillion dollars net worth too. So, no biggie for him, probably. 😌

Okay,I apologize for coming across so harshly.

Here is my problem. Let’s say someone, let’s just call him Trump, comes on, and incites a mob that leads to real violence. Something even more horrible than Jan 6 Capitol riots.

Will Dojo prevent that from happening? I don’t think so. He might say something seemingly innocuous, like “let’s take the country back from the liberals!”

or, the “elections were a COMPLETE sham!”

Which cannot possiblly trigger any Dojo magical AI neural net algorithm gizmo to filter it out. The words are not really egregious per se.

So who is going to really moderate all that stuff? Humans. You know, like the ones at Twitter right now?

Will Elon take responsibility once *sugar* happens? Also, no. He is not known to be humble, per se.

I am happy to be proven wrong, but this whole saga has a tragicomic feel to it. I tend to think I have sussed out Elon and his shortcomings. I feel his shortcoming will be paying through his nose for an entity he might not relish owning, in 5-6 years.

By then, he will probably be the first person to reach a Trillion dollars net worth too. So, no biggie for him, probably. 😌
No worries. I apologize for my snark too. We both want a better future. Our goals seem to be aligned, so that’s cool.

I think humans will need to be involved at some level.

I’d like to see it where if a tweet is posted, maybe have an “accuracy meter” or some other mechanism that easily shows the other side.

Right now when a tweet is posted, nothing is clearly refuted at the top level. It gets shared a million times and too many people accept it as fact with no rebuttal and people are too lazy to do their own research. One needs to dig down to see responses and wade through it. But if people can see the “accuracy” (or something to that affect) at that top level, it might reduce the potency and spread of the BS tweet.

There have been several times over the years where I think “ugh, why did you do that Elon?”. But then in the end it doesn’t seem to matter much. So I’m to the point now where let him have his “fun” with this social experiment. If it fails, it fails. But if it succeeds, could be quite something. One thing is for certain, he doesn’t shy away from a challenge. I guess that’s why he’s a bit richer than I am. ;)

Last edited:
No worries. I apologize for my snark too. We both want a better future. Our goals seem to be aligned, so that’s cool.

I think humans will need to be involved at some level.

I’d like to see it where if a tweet is posted, maybe have an “accuracy meter” or some other mechanism that easily shows the other side.

Right now when a tweet is posted, nothing is clearly refuted at the top level. It gets shared a million times and too many people accept it as fact with no rebuttal and people are too lazy to do their own research. One needs to dig down to see responses and wade through it. But if people can see the “accuracy” (or something to that affect) at that top level, it might reduce the potency and spread of the BS tweet.

There have been several times over the years where I think “ugh, why did you do that Elon?”. But then in the end it doesn’t seem to matter much. So I’m to the point now where let him have his “fun” with this social experiment. If it fails, it fails. But if it succeeds, could be quite something. One thing is for certain, he doesn’t shy away from a challenge. I guess that’s why he’s a bit richer than I am. ;)

Yes, that ‘accuracy meter’ might be a good thing. Kinda like what PolitiFact does.

I have never been a Twitter user, so I actually don’t care all that much what happens to Twitter.

What I _do_ care about is that Elon will be even more defocused now, and Tesla is already suffering from a few systemic issues. Like service that sucks, build quality that’s on par with cars 1/3 the price, FSD that takes forever with the vision-only corner he has painted Tesla into, and nickeling dimeing customers and raising the prices.

I don’t know who said it, but it seems “the seeds of a company’s failure are sown when everything seems to be going well at that company”.

You might wonder if I am a sort of Curmudgeon, but I am not. 😏

• Disagree
Reactions: mars_or_bust
Yes, that ‘accuracy meter’ might be a good thing. Kinda like what PolitiFact does.

I have never been a Twitter user, so I actually don’t care all that much what happens to Twitter.

What I _do_ care about is that Elon will be even more defocused now, and Tesla is already suffering from a few systemic issues. Like service that sucks, build quality that’s on par with cars 1/3 the price, FSD that takes forever with the vision-only corner he has painted Tesla into, and nickeling dimeing customers and raising the prices.

I don’t know who said it, but it seems “the seeds of a company’s failure are sown when everything seems to be going well at that company”.

You might wonder if I am a sort of Curmudgeon, but I am not. 😏

I’m on Twitter just to mainly read posts from a few people. Most of it I don’t care about. But if it could be a spot where better truth and rebuttal could get out, I’m all for it. I watch CNN and MSNBC often and I used to think they were pretty accurate. But then when I see their reports about Tesla and how often they are wildly wrong, it does make me question the rest of their reporting skills. Maybe… just maybe Twitter could help. Most likely wishful thinking.

Well… knock on wood but my service has been sufficient so far. Owner since 2017. But there are definitely growing pains.

Build quality out of Fremont has been poor but it seems China and hopefully other new lines/plants will be better. FSD estimates have been atrocious.

I have been pretty pleased with other leaders like Zach and Drew for picking up where JB and others have left. Tesla and SpaceX should be at the point where they can run with the mission at hand. That way if something did happen to Elon, the companies would still be okay. Will be interesting to see what Elon’s part 3 is.

Haha… nah. Never crossed my mind. :)

Reactions: kcveins
I’m on Twitter just to mainly read posts from a few people. Most of it I don’t care about. But if it could be a spot where better truth and rebuttal could get out, I’m all for it. I watch CNN and MSNBC often and I used to think they were pretty accurate. But then when I see their reports about Tesla and how often they are wildly wrong, it does make me question the rest of their reporting skills. Maybe… just maybe Twitter could help. Most likely wishful thinking.

Well… knock on wood but my service has been sufficient so far. Owner since 2017. But there are definitely growing pains.

Build quality out of Fremont has been poor but it seems China and hopefully other new lines/plants will be better. FSD estimates have been atrocious.

I have been pretty pleased with other leaders like Zach and Drew for picking up where JB and others have left. Tesla and SpaceX should be at the point where they can run with the mission at hand. That way if something did happen to Elon, the companies would still be okay. Will be interesting to see what Elon’s part 3 is.

Haha… nah. Never crossed my mind. :)

Yeah, CNN and MSNBC don’t have many good journalists. Even though I am a center-left guy, I do recognize the biases in NYT (unsubscribed after the John Broder Teslagate) as well as a few other publications.

However, out of vapid curiosity I watched Fox once and the looney tunes craziness going on there was off the charts.

Well, we live in interesting times. Exciting as well. Still love driving both my Teslas. 👍

Thanks to Elon and a lot of Tesla folks’ hard work.

Elon’s third act will be immortalizing himself and transporting him to Mars. 😌

Reactions: SO16
Today's reminder that 6 corporations control ~90% of the American media:

The Big 6 Media Companies | The Motley Fool

Note that this is now slightly out of date, AT&T spun WarnerMedia off just this month and that spun off company merged with Discovery Co. to form the combined Warner Bros. Discovery.

So the 6 companies which control 90% of American media are:

1. Comcast (owns NBC Universal)
  2. The Walt Disney Company
  3. Warner Bros. Discovery
  4. Paramount Global (combined with CBS Viacom)
  5. Fox Corporation (Note: 20th Century Fox was spun off and sold to Disney)
This is who are in control of what you consume and what you think. Elon owning Twitter, even though Twitter is absolutely tiny and meaningless compared to these vast media conglomerates, is still a threat because Twitter has an unusually large media influence despite it's tiny user base (~200 million vs. Facebook's 3 billion).

Status
Not open for further replies.