Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Much much more consequential fake news like the Iraq WMD Cheney-Judith Miller-Cheney news cycle laundering, which had some horrific real world consequences. BTW, NYT was bad even in the 1930s. I don’t know how they got the reputation as the “paper of record”.
They have issues like any other large organization. How many stories did they print this week? Maybe 1,000?
Every single story has several thousand potential things they can get wrong. So, yes, there will be errors.
People have a sense that, because they speak English, they could write these stories and do them better and without mistakes or bias.
Uh, no. And that includes you, Elon.
No matter how chapped you are about that stupid road test they ran.

Is all this intentional in the sense of a major conspiracy? At the NYT, no.
It’s an industry that self-selects mainly for highly-educated, left-leaning people and they see the world a certain way and that drives things like, story selection, in a way that produces bias.
Major stories, they have a pretty good track record. If anything, they are a little slow out of the gate compared to say CNN or the Post.
They are not perfect. They will not be perfect.
But they’re not run with an editorial policy aimed making money by at preaching to a specific choir. Unlike, say, Fox.
They are run by ... highly educated left-leaning people who are interested in the truth to the degree their personal understanding of the world allows them to pursue it.

No journalist is free of bias. Every human sees the world in a different way. But someone is a journalist to the degree they try to keep bias out of their work. Some “media” organizations don’t try and have intentionally fueled the partisan split that’s corroding this country for no rational reason whatsoever except their profits, and control of power.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I much prefer the civilized discussion of today (with a few exceptions) compared to the civil war we had yesterday. Everyone was able to vent their anger and frustration, all political barricades were manned and shots were exchanged.

From here on let's keep the discussion factual, civilized and respectful. And free of toxic politics.

Elon could tie them up for years waiting for that money. If he fired them for cause, surely he had someone advising him it was copacetic.

Whether that was sabotage or not will reveal itself but his vision for the platform is incompatible with the people that were shown the door.

lol. exhibit A) the lawsuit in Delaware to get out of the twitter deal

1) It didn't take years and there was *nothing* Tesla could do to "tie them up for years"

2) He very clearly went against legal advise and only at the end did what he could have done months ago - buy twitter at the negotiated initial price. Could have saved Tesla and Twitter a lot of legal fees for a lawsuit he would have lost with near certainty

Elon increasingly strucks me as that guy "who knows it all and knows it best" ... he nailed Tesla at the beginning as well as Space X ... but that fame and success has definitely gotten to him. I would bet money that the AI team with proper autonomy (pun intended) would push for Radar+Lidar+Vision for FSD instead of "vision only" - which seems to be a very Musk demand he feels very strongly about. Twitter lawsuit / acquisition and political tweets appear to have been cooked up against all advice from council....

Jack Dorsey is launching a new platform called Bluesky Social. It's in beta now.
Not exactly, Bluesky is more of a protocol, something that would work with Twitter. I don't understand the details but it's not a competing social app and Jack is working with Elon. I posted an article explaining it in the Elon and Twitter thread last night.

I definitely believe there will be a charge to be verified, how much that is as of now is pure speculation.

However with around 360k verified users there is certainly money to be made to keep the check mark -
At $4.99 a month = $21M a year
At $20 a month = $84M a year

I would think at the lower end ($4.99) they can get many more people to opt in, since it would be a process of anyone who wants and can verify they are real gets it with subscription.
Adding tiers - no ads, customization, etc. can raise additional subscriptions.

Definitely happening, just depends on the metrics.

Geez...this pricing feels eerily similar to that of FSD. Hopefully some additional features come along with this. :rolleyes: Why not charge a one-time $100 fee for account verification? Sometimes I wonder if Elon has lost touch with proletariat.

Edit: Thinking about this further it does make sense to do this as a monthly fee. This would allow for someone who stops using a verified Twitter account to lose verification making them less a hacking/impersonation target.

Counterpoint - the Verge is notorious for their hatred of Tesla and Musk. Are we sure the above Tweet is actually legitimate? I have my doubts.

Counterpoint - the Verge is notorious for their hatred of Tesla and Musk. Are we sure the above Tweet is actually legitimate? I have my doubts.
There was a poll by Jason Calacanis on this. Highly possible the Verge took the high end to frame a story or Jason could be trying to justify to Elon that his pricing of $20 was too high. We do know that Jason, David Sacks, and others are part of Elon's Twitter War Room.

Reactions: TN Mtn Man
There was a poll by Jason Calacanis on this. Highly possible the Verge took the high end to frame a story or Jason could be trying to justify to Elon that his pricing of $20 was too high. We do know that Jason, David Sachs, and others are part of Elon's Twitter War Room.

LoL, so it's a "poll" and no one, especially Elon, has not confirmed that price point, timing, etc.

Wow, what an upstanding news outlet the Verge is . . . NOT.

My post got deleted from the roundtable thread. Here's a very interesting POV how Twitter could act as an invaluable dataset for Tesla's AI ambitions. I will now do the thread justice by summarizing it.
Not to get too far into the mystical here, but that's basically the premise of the TV series Westworld. They built a park full of robots that pretended to be a playground but actually existed to model human behavior. Lots of data there.

Reactions: Nrkl and SO16
There was a poll by Jason Calacanis on this. Highly possible the Verge took the high end to frame a story or Jason could be trying to justify to Elon that his pricing of $20 was too high. We do know that Jason, David Sacks, and others are part of Elon's Twitter War Room.

At $20, or $5 or even $1 this could have some of the effects Elon is looking for, especially dumping bots. At the same time, it seems like it would have others he’s not, like paying for “free speech,” cutting out folks with tight budgets -- and yes, there are people who need that $20 for their bills...
Seems like it would turn away more legit users than the improvements it generates would attract. But that’s just a guess, they’d have metrics on that before they acted.
It is an interesting proposal though, if legit.

At $20, or $5 or even $1 this could have some of the effects Elon is looking for, especially dumping bots. At the same time, it seems like it would have others he’s not, like paying for “free speech,” cutting out folks with tight budgets -- and yes, there are people who need that $20 for their bills...
Seems like it would turn away more legit users than the improvements it generates would attract. But that’s just a guess, they’d have metrics on that before they acted.
It is an interesting proposal though, if legit.
At the moment almost 81% said they wouldn't pay anything for a blue check.

At the moment almost 81% said they wouldn't pay anything for a blue check.
Yeah, that sounds about right. Which means I dunno, 62 percent actually wouldn’t and the other in that 81 percent would, but are just ticked off at the idea of paying for what they have gotten free for years.
....another freaking monthly. Montlhies have become a plague.

Nice contradictions there, anyone who complains is a crybaby and then you go on to complain.

i have complained. i try not to make a habit out of it. i mostly target the lying financiers and media nitwits (i’m sure you’ve seen this in the past as i remember we were mostly in agreement then)

it’s the constant knee-jerk negative on every tweet or incident that i think doesn’t help anyone.

just like those living and dying by every TSLA tick aren’t helping themselves.

and sure, lately this appears to be a downtrend on the Elon curve - but a lot of it noise and attack vectors just like with tesla and spacex ….
notwithstanding incendiary things like the reply to hillary
- i get peoples anger with it.
- was he serious, was it a troll that i don’t understand?
- either way it was avoidable polarization
- i can’t explain why he trips over his own &$@? sometimes

im more in the “these are just blips on the radar”camp, and i ponder and then dismiss them.

to me the real story is the 80%.
i believe he’ll focus on the 80% which he’s said numerous times, and i believe just about everyone here is in that 80%. we just have to wait and see what the team comes up with. i believe the outcome will be better than it is now.

I've had 2 posts deleted in this thread by an angry mod, I'm not sure why they were deleted, nor by which mod. So I don't know what I did wrong or who I should ask for clarification. A PM would be helpful.

one is preserved bc i responded (above) …

also you can be assured that i did NOT complain and had nothing to do with it

although i don’t know if i was able to see the second one was that was deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.