Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You wanted democracy right? Well, that’s democracy.

You don’t have to agree with the results.
Actually it's not, at all. It would be if everyone on Twitter was contacted and made aware of the poll, preferably at least twice over a period of a day or two prior to the poll commencing.

What it is now is a vote, mainly by Elon's followers, and a few others who have come across it. Nothing more and certainly not Democratic in any way.

I know for a fact the unbanning decision was done based on a POLL by Elon because he directly said so, and thus the non-existent unbanning board was not involved.

But hey, intellectual cowardice is cheap. Keep going!
How do you know a “conduct board” didn’t okay the poll prior to it’s posting?

I guess the next question is what do they do when the former guy keeps spreading election disinformation.

Ignore the conduct board and just do an unvetted poll to see if it's ok or not (but only for these special people who the CEO happens to like)

Can you imagine the outrage if the former Twitter CEO had hand picked banned buddies and done personal polls to allow them back in?

Any company that did a shareholder vote in this manner would have been sued by the shareholders for many reasons. Among them:
  • Not giving enough any notice of the vote
  • Not giving a well defined deadline for submitting votes

Not sure who asked for democracy in how Twitter is run. Certainly no one here expected it. But….
Can you instead address Elon’s…. Oh, let’s be charitable… and say, “misspeaking” that the major reinstatements wouldn’t happen until this diverse panel convenes?

There simply aren't enough high quality "anti-woke" engineers.
I actually want to amend this a bit.

In general Silicon Valley is "libertarian". They always wanted no regulation etc. So, they would have been naturally aligned with conservatives. But they also wanted liberal immigration policies because they couldn't find enough people with required skills (or willing to work crazy hard). So, they supported fiscal conservatives but because of diverse employees, they supported socially liberal ideology. So, if you take an average Silicon Valley engineer - you are probably looking at what some might call "moderate", fiscally conservative - socially liberal - some years back.

But things started changing as new, younger employees who are more "liberal" joined companies. There was a lot of clamor among the employees to be more socially liberal .... "woke" to some. Older Silicon Valley engineers (like Elon) continue to be "moderate" but reluctantly implement "woke" policies. I've seen some of these policies implemented rather haphazardly .... resulting in many gaming the system and seen some backlash too.

So, you will probably find older "moderate" / "libertarian" types who sympathize with some of the "anti-woke" ideas (like don't promote historically disadvantaged groups .... since that obviously limit their own promotion opportunities).

There is another group that is "anti-woke". Radicalized Modi-fans of Indian origin. But - thats a different story, altogether.

Setting aside that the “wisdom of the crowd” is often anything but, this poll had no advance notice, was up for 24 hours, and had no checks to ensure “one person, one vote.”

Would you have accepted the results had they been inverted and EM act accordingly?
Would’ve just shrugged and noted an attempted abdication of responsibility by Elon to make and and justify a hard decision. Doesn’t matter what “won” the “poll”
And then I’d have noted what I already did, that he lied about forming and using a content panel. The panel was surely something many advertisers want to see used properly.
The management decisions continue in the same vein they started…

From the Times:
“Alex Stamos, the director of the Stanford Internet Observatory, said it was “odd” that Mr. Musk, who has spent months complaining about Twitter’s problem with bot accounts, would use a Twitter poll in which bots could be voting to decide the issue and then assume that the result “reflects some kind of legitimate ‘voice of the people.’”
“It is definitely possible for small groups to create large numbers of accounts to manipulate features like polls,” he added.”

Status
Not open for further replies.