Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must continue to point out that he is not doing that and has no ability to do that, only the government can, and contrary to what some like to claim the government has made no moves to stop free speech. Elon is simply changing the speech on Twitter more to his liking, which he can do because it's a private company not a government.
Actually he can do that. If you read the tweet thread, you’ll find that the Biden admin people routinely asked Twitter to block accounts. And since most Twitter employees were Democrats, they willingly complied. Is that a first amendment violation? I don’t know, but it will be a fascinating court case.

Actually he can do that. If you read the tweet thread, you’ll find that the Biden admin people routinely asked Twitter to block accounts. And since most Twitter employees were Democrats, they willingly complied. Is that a first amendment violation? I don’t know, but it will be a fascinating court case.
I mean, Trump is on the phone or texting Sean Hannity every day!

Not only is that not a "court case" -- its not even a case. That's what politicians do. As a matter of fact, its an entire job description of young stafffers, there entire job, all day every day is to get stuff either published or not published.

Its like pointing out that some other site chose not to publish pro-Tesla pro-environment articles. And then, quelle suprise, that it was because of pressure from oil company pr, or maybe even legacy auto advertising.

Well, I guess now that Elon owns twitter there won't be any stories which don't get re tweeted. How great, its like a giant cow pie sandwich now super sized.

Are There Limits On Free Speech?

There are limits to freedom of speech, and those limits boil down to public safety and honesty. The classic example of unprotected speech is screaming fire in a crowded room when there is no fire, as the welfare of the citizenry becomes paramount. Another example: protests require permits to ensure proper safety requirements are met.
It's not actually illegal to yell fire in a crowded theater.

Maybe because it has nothing to do with the first amendment? Seems like a journalist should know that. Khana seems to know the difference as he refers to “first amendment principles”.
It is funny to see it pointed out that Twitter’s suppression of the story actually brought more attention to the story though.

So it turns out it wasn’t only the Biden campaign who were pressuring Twitter before the election, it was Democratic Senate and House lawmakers, who, of course, had majorities and ran various investigative committees.
And also the President himself was pressuring. Insane!!! Matt has the smoking gun here (see below for the goods).

With great power comes great responsibility. The head of government pressuring a private company…whoa.

F21513FE-FECA-44B9-89E5-796535A550AF.jpeg

[EDIT: It's annoying that mobile app currently does not allow image resizing, or some issue on my end does not allow it, not sure which.]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.