Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only could he be alienating potential customers, but he could also be alienating potential future employees. Tesla and SpaceX have always been top destinations for engineering graduates, and hopefully it stays that way.

It was kinda funny to see Elon literally Tweet-rant that Twitter employees were over 95% democrat and this was why he had to fire them... when Tesla is around 85% democrat. Ooops

There is a significant chance that being a highly educated engineer who wants to save the planet is correlated to one political party, and that party might not use the slogan "Drill baby Drill" as their energy policy

The mission was / is to fight the woke mind virus. Of course since there no actual such virus or even well defined description then it means whatever Elon wants it to mean.

Elon actions have been fully consistent with his number one goal of fighting the woke mind virus even if he has had to sacrifice some other goals like free speech, advertising revenue and public safety.

1671066810927.png

Not only could he be alienating potential customers, but he could also be alienating potential future employees. Tesla and SpaceX have always been top destinations for engineering graduates, and hopefully it stays that way.
Current, as well as potential employees. I'd not be surprised to find the vast majority of Tesla employees (certainly the white collar ones) to be liberal or centrist in their thinking and "the mission" of Tesla being quite paramount as a reason for wanting to work there.

The mission was / is to fight the woke mind virus. Of course since there no actual such virus or even well defined description then it means whatever Elon wants it to mean.

Elon actions have been fully consistent with his number one goal of fighting the woke mind virus even if he has had to sacrifice some other goals like free speech, advertising revenue and public safety.

Hrm. I see what you're getting at there.

Alas, if he thinks he's actually fighting the woke-aggedon, that's not really going to be a free speech mission (which might explain some things).

If I believed some kind of woke-ness was an existential evil, how would I fight it? I'd go Communist-China-Media-Control on it with a massive information-suppression platform to search out keyword, phrases, and people linked to the badness and silence them to stamp out the woke-ness, replacing it with state-sponsored propaganda that supplies a counter narrative to the one I think is evil.

That's what would be needed. It also is almost exactly the opposite of fostering free speech and an open town hall.

There is a significant chance that being a highly educated engineer who wants to save the planet is correlated to one political party, and that party might not use the slogan "Drill baby Drill" as their energy policy
When one party is hostile to the education system in general, and to higher education in particular, this is not surprising.

Absolutely stupid.
1. We have freedom of speech in the US. You go after the stalker, not the person posting publicly available data from ADS-B.
2. Jack Sweeney has never posted the locations of ground transportation vehicles. Even if he did put up a network of license plate readers on private property with permission of the property owners and aimed them at public roads and post the locations of vehicles, this is not illegal. And after all that, it still tells you nothing about who's in the car.
3. He claims that Sweeney "supported harm to my family"? Seriously? When did Jack ever state that he wanted Elon and/or his family to suffer harm? Jack should save that quote and go after Elon for defamation if it isn't true.

Last edited:
Absolutely stupid.
1. We have freedom of speech in the US. You go after the stalker, not the person posting publicly available data from ADS-B.
2. Jack Sweeney has never posted the locations of ground transportation vehicles. Even if he did put up a network of license plate readers on private property with permission of the property owners and aimed them at public roads and post the locations of vehicles, this is not illegal. And after all that, it still tells you nothing about who's in the car.
3. He claims that Sweeney "supported harm to my family"? Seriously? When did Jack ever state that he wanted Elon and/or his family to suffer harm? Jack should save that quote and go after Elon for defamation if it isn't true.
Only X's safety is important. LGBTQ .... not so much.

Jack's pissed: "I Can’t Let Him Win Now": The Student Behind The Suspended Twitter Account That Tracked Elon Musk's Private Jet Vowed To Fight On

Changing the rules and then banning someone immediately for violating the new rules isn't cool. It's like Congress passing a law that says it's illegal to do X and then having federal law enforcement go after someone for doing X 1 second after the law was passed. Technically this wouldn't be an ex post facto law but no court would allow the government to get away with doing this. In this particular case, Twitter is a private platform so no laws were violated but it's absolutely not consistent with the concept of free speech nor of a promise to get rid of allegedly arbitrary enforcement of the rules.

Jack's pissed: "I Can’t Let Him Win Now": The Student Behind The Suspended Twitter Account That Tracked Elon Musk's Private Jet Vowed To Fight On

Changing the rules and then banning someone immediately for violating the new rules isn't cool. It's like Congress passing a law that says it's illegal to do X and then having federal law enforcement go after someone for doing X 1 second after the law was passed. Technically this wouldn't be an ex post facto law but no court would allow the government to get away with doing this. In this particular case, Twitter is a private platform so no laws were violated but it's absolutely not consistent with the concept of free speech nor of a promise to get rid of allegedly arbitrary enforcement of the rules.
Since it’s no longer publicly traded, perhaps it’s a good time to reiterate that this is a private company. 🎯

Random question (like this thread really has a topic to stay on)... how terrible is this thread compared to the NEM 3.0 thread? What is worse, stuff about Musk or stuff about PG&E?

Was going to state this earlier, but politicians (both sides), IOUs (PG&E, SDG&E, SCE), generally people with wealth (Elon), in power probably simply enjoys getting the masses to attack each other and divide them, then maybe can do things while all the noise is there. This could be Elon's plan as well.

Put the right vs. the left so they can probably fight it out and politicians (or IOUs) can make out like bandits. There are stories of some past Democratic leaders enriching themselves and I think people in Congress can still invest their $$ on individual companies even if they are meeting with defense companies, etc...or about to vote on legislation which may have a big impact (correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think there are hard rules yet). I think Trump overcharged folks in his hotels.

The great thing is tomorrow, CA is supposed to vote on NEM3.0 so some of us can go back to complaining about NEM3.0 vs. talking about Twitter, Elon and Hunter's thing which won't have anything really material for at least 6 months or a year+ anyways. Everything coming out is just noise I think, but it's a good time waster. I was more curious originally on who would even want to work at Twitter now and what was their motivation, but clearly I'm not hard-core or smart enough to work for Musk and for that, I'm very glad.

Let all the lawsuits fly here and on NEM and let the courts settle it eventually since as the Mandolorian sect say, "This is the Way."

For all we know, Elon is trashing his own Tesla stock, selling some SpaceX right now, and gonna load up when Tesla gets down to $80-$120. It's all part of his plan :)

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Let's see what the judges say, but I have a feeling that ElonJet is gonna have his **** Around and Find Out moment. If there is one thing Elon dislikes it's harm to kids. He was plenty patient with the guy, offered him cash to stop etc. Now harm has been done and the time for being nice is over. Let see if Elon can stay silent and let his lawyers do their job, I have a feeling Elon will not though.

He just sold another $3.5 billion or so of TSLA, forms filed tonight.
Exactly what I warned about way earlier in the thread. Very hard to argue that massive stock sale has zero impact on TSLA price or that everything is going swimmingly at Twitter financially (otherwise the ad revenue would be enough to pay for everything, no need for more stock sale). Kind of answers my question on how revenue was doing at Twitter (something Elon had been silent on even when promoting other stats).
Elon selling TSLA shares very much will and has affected TSLA stock and he has sold a bunch to support his Twitter purchase. He may need to sell more if things at Twitter does not go well. I'm sure a lot of people wish he didn't get into this mess and for a good part of the year that included Elon himself (the whole point of the lawsuit).

Let's see what the judges say, but I have a feeling that ElonJet is gonna have his **** Around and Find Out moment. If there is one thing Elon dislikes it's harm to kids. He was plenty patient with the guy, offered him cash to stop etc. Now harm has been done and the time for being nice is over.
Tell me what harm Jack Sweeney did? All his bots do is track planes (and from data gathered from the public airwaves). They do not track who's on the planes. And he certainly has never had a bot that tracks cars, although even if he did have agreements with property owners near major roadways all over the world, and created a bot that tracks specific vehicles with data from automatic license plate readers, it wouldn't be illegal nor would it tell you who's in the cars being tracked.
Let see if Elon can stay silent and let his lawyers do their job, I have a feeling Elon will not though.
That statement about Jack wishing harm to his family is going in the direction of defamation if in fact Jack never said anything like that.

Let's see what the judges say, but I have a feeling that ElonJet is gonna have his **** Around and Find Out moment. If there is one thing Elon dislikes it's harm to kids. He was plenty patient with the guy, offered him cash to stop etc. Now harm has been done and the time for being nice is over. Let see if Elon can stay silent and let his lawyers do their job, I have a feeling Elon will not though.
What laws were broken by posting publicly available information? And what proof does Elon have that the location of his Jet had any relation to the location of his vehicle in this case? I can see why Elon took down the account but I'm not clear on the legal case.

I can see why Elon took down the account but I'm not clear on the legal case.
Right. He doesn't need any reason to take down anyone's account. He's the owner. But if he wants to be seen as some savior of free speech, this is about as counterproductive of an action as he could take. And all people with an account with a lot of followers and especially people whose businesses depend on Twitter are now going to take a serious look about whether they really want to stay on a platform where people are getting banned for arbitrary reasons and once that happens, they'd have trouble even announcing where to find them in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.