Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm.. so much wrong with that 8-car pileup story:
  1. FSD was changing lanes to the left for no reason? And applying the brakes during the lane change?
  2. FSD came to a complete stop for a ghost? I know we're all annoyed by this phantom braking but really how often does FSD come to a *complete* stop?
  3. Is it really possible for a driver to be so moronic that they would stop on the highway like that? I've seen the worst drivers in the world and none were that bad. Almost seems staged.
  4. What great camera angles they got!
  5. Why did 7 other drivers just plow right into that stopped car? TF is wrong with people? Are you telling me that 7 out of 8 drivers are morons and the 8th is an ass?
  6. Why did someone stage this photo *during* the pileup?
1673580609549.png

And last but not least (sorry to bring up bad mods again), did Elon seriously shadowban the journalist and then prank everyone by redirecting searches to himself?

1673580773260.png

What other manufacturers? In the US there's only the very rare Mach-E, EV6 or Ionic 5 to compete with the Model Y. Anything else is even more rare, nevermind the fact that there are no vehicles comparable to the 3, X, or S.

And please, no one chime in about how your cousin is the CEO of Mercedes and therefore you were able to score an EOS whatever for less than $300K within 16 months and the leather is so much better than a Model Y. Yes, I know it's possible for people with connections to get non-Tesla EVs in certain circumstances. But for the general public it's either Tesla, Bolt, Leaf, ID.4, Mach-E, Hyundai, or miscellaneous.

Also, Tesla has been limited only by production capacity since the very first reservation was placed for their napkin-sketch roadster in the mid-2000's... at least until Elon bought Twitter and fully unleashed his inner twit. The fact that they very suddenly went from industry leading backlogs *and* margins to an inventory stockpile so great they feel compelled to "flex their margins" is striking.

Extrapolate this chart out to January or February and note that it's global before pointing out the US tax credit. Elon announced his Twitter takeover in April.

1673594080528.png

Last edited:
If you think the price drop is solely about demand, I don’t really know what to do for you.

Demand is down across the board for new cars.
This is about flexing their margins and forcing other manufacturers to follow suit in pricing or forfeit market share.
The stock market is not viewing it as a power move.

Before the story was “demand is not down” and now it’s “demand is down across the board”.

If they would only transfer my FSD and not claim “it’s priced into the trade” I might consider getting a new one.

B
If you think the price drop is solely about demand, I don’t really know what to do for you.

Demand is down across the board for new cars.
This is about flexing their margins and forcing other manufacturers to follow suit in pricing or forfeit market share.
Uh, no. Just no. It’s pretty straightforward supply/demand/ efficient use of capacity.
This is about not laying off substantial numbers of experienced workers and having very expensive factory capacity sitting idle and losing money.
Tesla pumped up prices greatly to reap large profits when it had a waiting list of many many months for say, the Y. Now that list is gone and demand no longer supports such massive profit levels.
Fanboys kept trying to characterize Tesla’s huge price increases as benevolently trying to trim its waitlist. No, companies are in business to make money and it was making hay while sun shined.
The plus side is that when the inevitable downturn in demand came from the bizarre pandemic car price bubble, Tesla was in a position to do what it just did. This won’t unleash a massive wave of demand, but hopefully will let it lump along through the downturn.
It would take some unbelievable spin/mental gymnastics to look at this as a way to put pressure on Ford, GM, Hyundai, BMW etc.

It would take some unbelievable spin/mental gymnastics to look at this as a way to put pressure on Ford, GM, Hyundai, BMW etc.
I see what the auto market is doing every day, you might say it’s kinda my job to do so..

I haven’t exactly been shy about admitting that I’ve already had to mark down iX and i4 that suddenly find themselves without a home.

3 = BMW i4
X = BMW iX, EQS SUV, EQE SUV
S = BMW i7, EQS, EQE

There are only 9294 BMW i4's in the entire world. They are so rare that it's fair to say that they don't exist, especially in the US where they amount to approximately 0% of the market. They only cars more rare than an i4 are the other cars you listed.

And none of these cars are competitors to Tesla in the US since they are all in vastly higher price ranges.

Reactions: bkp_duke
There are only 9294 BMW i4's in the entire world. They are so rare that it's fair to say that they don't exist, especially in the US where they amount to approximately 0% of the market. They only cars more rare than an i4 are the other cars you listed.

And none of these cars are competitors to Tesla in the US since they are all in vastly higher price ranges.
So what you’re saying is….Spare the rod, buy the Tesla.

They are so rare that it's fair to say that they don't exist, especially in the US where they amount to approximately 0% of the market.
I just looked on the BMW site and my local dealer has three i4s in stock. A friend of mine is shopping a Model Y and comparing to the i4, which he has also found available in Austin, where he lives. The only thing keeping him from going the BMW route are the "nostrils of doom." So he is shopping them competitively.

I agree they're not pervasive, but in cities they're definitely available. I'm uninterested in a nostrils of doom car, though.

Of those 3 available BMWs, how many actually exist? Fossil carmakers are notoriously bad at internet inventory updates.
And of those that do exist, are they listed at $80K MSRP, or $60K?
And of the $60K versions that actually exist, how much does the dealer undercoating cost? With undercoating and an air freshener the actual price will end up being around $70K-$100K.

So how is that comparable to a 3LR at $44K, or even yesterday's pricing of $52K? Whether or not the BMW is worth the extra cost, it simply isn't in the same price category. Plus it's about as rare as a Lamborghini.

Status
Not open for further replies.