Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon wants to be fired.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First I want to mention that if my post sounded rude it wasn't.
To return to the genius.
If to paraphrase genius definition in Webster to normal language: Genius is a smart-ass who makes things happen. The word genius is used by others as a mean of recognizing somebody's achievements and ability.

I already Liked your post but this is a good reply.

I get wary of hero worship. I see a lot of it around here. People are just people. Some are smarter than others, some work harder than others. We're all pretty much strange though.

I do give Elon credit, he's accomplished a lot. To me he's just a smart businessman, with ideas and the means to bring them to fruition. To some that means he's a genius I guess. It's a word I think we throw around a bit too much. Semantics perhaps.

PayPal was inevitable, really. Just like Netflix or iTunes, but no one calls their creators geniuses. Or if they do I'm not aware of it.

Reactions: Surfer and P85_DA
I started thinking about this a couple months ago, and recent events have changed it from a long-shot possibility to my honest assessment.

Elon isn't having fun any more. Instead of being lauded as the visionary, the next Steve Jobs...he is now the guy that can't put together mid-market cars correctly, and needs a constant stream of investment to subsidize operations.

... sorry but that is one of the dumbest and most insulting posts I have read on this forum in a long time.

Actually it represents exactly what appears to frustrate Elon so much, worthless armchair naysayers and those betting against Tesla whilst he is thowing every ounce of his soul and ambition into its success.

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: Surfer and GSP
I started thinking about this a couple months ago, and recent events have changed it from a long-shot possibility to my honest assessment.

Elon isn't having fun any more. Instead of being lauded as the visionary, the next Steve Jobs...he is now the guy that can't put together mid-market cars correctly, and needs a constant stream of investment to subsidize operations.

I think he wants off the hook. Like Uber CEO Travis Kalanick, who was able to exit stage left just when the pressure was on to stop losing $1B per quarter with a DOA business model, Elon is TRYING to get the boot.

Picking fights with Rescue heros, Crazy drug binges, SEC fighting...I call bullshit. I no longer believe this is some manic psych behavior. I think it is an intentional tactic to cause his ouster and replacement. Delivering on the promises got too hard, so now he'd like to save his reputation by being unfairly terminated. Then he would get to retain his stake and its value far longer than if the current trajectory runs it's course.

I own a Model S, and I don't have any positions for or against TSLA, just to head off the usual blah blah. I just think the situation looks a little too suspicious. Waking up to another absurd tweet has crystallized this suspicion.

My theory is contrary to yours. I don't think Elon wants to be fired. I think he is trying to devalue TSLA to make it look cheap enough for private equity to buy out Tesla to become private. He is sick of the short sellers and negative news. Just my theory.

• Informative
Reactions: u00mem9
That alone doesn't make one a genius. It makes one determined.

So what’s your point on this anyway?
That alone doesn't make one a genius. It makes one determined.

I didn’t say it does. I was just pointing out that simply having an idea is pretty much meaningless. Doesn’t even rise to the level determined (as you pointed out). Besides, a genius can lack determination. And a genius may only be smart in certain areas.

I already Liked your post but this is a good reply.

I get wary of hero worship. I see a lot of it around here. People are just people. Some are smarter than others, some work harder than others. We're all pretty much strange though.

I do give Elon credit, he's accomplished a lot. To me he's just a smart businessman, with ideas and the means to bring them to fruition. To some that means he's a genius I guess. It's a word I think we throw around a bit too much. Semantics perhaps.

PayPal was inevitable, really. Just like Netflix or iTunes, but no one calls their creators geniuses. Or if they do I'm not aware of it.
dude there is no worship here. The "worship" you see on youtube is in very big part standard astroturfing. Character name assassination usually goes from different angles. Attachment of disgusting or retarded groups to a character is one of the important instruments, because it reduces number of the supporters greatly. You can see easily examples in other situations as well. Especially politics.
iTunes was one of the critical financial successes for Apple and was very important beginning for AppleStore, and it is usually listed in Jobs "accomplishments". Netflix is also a gigantic company and the people who started (optimal contracts with ISP, content providers, proper pricing, continuous improvements in right segments) are indeed very talented. There were other services beside iTunes and Netflix, in fact many, but they all failed. It is not the Facebook which won because they caught empty social space in American campuses. But even Facebook had made a number of very important "lucky" choices in their first years after IPO (Thiel again?).

The "issue" with Musk is that everything he touches is "Gold".
Even these solar tiles shorts like to talk about.
It is extremely difficult technological problem. But if they succeed to make it affordable....Basically you have quartz tile and you print on it solar element. The thing is that exactly same technology is required for solid state Lion batteries. Very similar variant (more complex though) for high temperature semiconductors. Metaloceramic printing.

My theory is contrary to yours. I don't think Elon wants to be fired. I think he is trying to devalue TSLA to make it look cheap enough for private equity to buy out Tesla to become private. He is sick of the short sellers and negative news. Just my theory.
He can not buy his company. Big investors won't allow. In order to go private he needs 90% of shares. He will never get them. At least two identifiable, and I believe at least another two institutional investors are categorically against privatization.
Dude just fights for his company. As I was writing right now SEC started again digging in Tesla and is disturbing functioning of Tesla management and administration. I've seen such events in real and basically as long such "inquiry" goes personnel is "frozen". Completely healthy and normal functioning company can loose contracts and go broke.
I believe Musk indeed has to collect a case against SF office. It's becoming ridiculous.