Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon wants to be fired.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He will not quit, that's for sure.
He can quit
O my, the Ambien. The symptoms they described are very rare and not relevant in Musk case.
Dude sleeps standard for Ambien 3 hours and then writes crap, because he can not stop thinking. Because Ambien is useless for him.

Ambien was designed for the military. It's actually quite serious chemical "hummer" which literally knocks you out directly into phase 3 sleep. The idea is to skip first two phases and to get in 3h of typical "Ambien" sleep the same brain rest as after normal 8 sleep.
It is pretty much the case.
For the militaries with usual 2 months of active deployment it is very useful drug. It's principally not designed for continuous use.
The idea of AMbien is almost good but it has two very critical drawbacks. It activates in very hard way "negative" side of chemical receptors, which if used for sufficiently long time can propel you into hardcore depression accompanied with the lack of sleep (of course).
The second drawback is that Ambien "sleep" skips also REM phase and therefore is useless to combat stress problems, i.e. your body doesn't get "neural decompression". If you have problems with sleep because of stress (see wandering mind problem) Ambien is useless, you won't get right rest.

If you have stress you need to combat stress, and the only way to do it is to learn to do relaxation. Yoga, meditation doesn't matter. Difficult to start? use guided variant. Good old Monroe "Catnapper" recording is the easiest and probably still the best choice.
Basic signs of neural stress: jaws muscles, upper shoulders, chest muscles just above diaphragm (the one which causes "hart pain"). During work is really useful to pay some seconds to them and make them loose.

Ambien is not a "drug" to really worry about.

Musk doesn't use drugs.

Ambien is not a "drug" to really worry about.

Let's not move goal posts. But trying to move Ambien into a "friendly drug" zone goes against everything we know about the drug:

"many users have abused the drug for its euphoric and hallucinatory effects"

which is why it is a Category 4 controlled substance by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency because it can be abused or lead to dependence.

I guess you've never known someone addicted to Ambien and how erratic it can make them. Lucky you, but please don't let your ignorance lead people to a dangerous category 4 drug as if it's nothing to "really worry about." It ruins lives -- but also helps people to sleep when not abused.

• Helpful
Reactions: u00mem9
I think he wants off the hook.
We both have similar dim views of Elon Musk's antics, however I vehemently disagree with your assessment.

Elon has always behaved exactly in this way (Broder, Top Gear, 691hp). He throws a tantrum when he doesn't get everything his own way. It worked really well for a while.

It's not working any more. The world is realizing that the emperor has no clothes and is very rapidly running out of money to buy clothes.

Getting rid of Elon is now the best thing that the Tesla board can do for the company's long term viability.

The world is realizing that the emperor has no clothes and is very rapidly running out of money to buy clothes.

I don't know what world you're living in but in my world people are amazed by such a great product with the best "would buy again" rating of any automaker. Most don't know Musk beyond his Steve Job's like image, and we somehow accepted that Steve Jobs was odd without calling him an emperor with no clothes. In fact, Jobs would perhaps still be with us if he wasn't so odd and just had surgery instead of his bizarre alternative attempts at cures. Elon, like Jobs, and practically all geniuses, has odd qualities and you must take the good with the bad or you wouldn't get the good at all. Someone who significantly helped bring Tesla to fruition, and has allowed me to own two incredible long range EV vehicles, that I can supercharge all over North America -- is not an unclothed emperor at all. Vincent van Gogh cut off his ear when he lost touch with reality -- but it didn't make his paintings any less magnificent. And I can go on and on with the odd, bizarre tales of human geniuses -- and what they have given us. They are very different, and in a completely different category, than the emperor who has no clothes, which makes me wonder if you even read that tale.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: GSP
Let's not move goal posts. But trying to move Ambien into a "friendly drug" zone goes against everything we know about the drug:

"many users have abused the drug for its euphoric and hallucinatory effects"

which is why it is a Category 4 controlled substance by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency because it can be abused or lead to dependence.

I guess you've never known someone addicted to Ambien and how erratic it can make them. Lucky you, but please don't let your ignorance lead people to a dangerous category 4 drug as if it's nothing to "really worry about." It ruins lives -- but also helps people to sleep when not abused.
pfff,
let start with the beginning.
Schedule IV

Schedule IV drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with a low potential for abuse and low risk of dependence. Some examples of Schedule IV drugs are:

Xanax, Soma, Darvon, Darvocet, Valium, Ativan, Talwin, Ambien, Tramadol

It is allowed to sell Ambien without doctor prescription (though it can be required to show id in US, it is not necessary here). It got it reputation thanks to inventive lawyers and clueless judges and of course the Internet. As I was writing it was invented for the military and it is still used by the american Air Force etc.

People can be erratic because of very many reasons, and the problem with sleep which ends with Ambien can be a symptom of something much more serious.
When you read next round of the hysteria about some drug, consult your doctor and not some anonymous on the Internet.

Outside of internet Ambien produces "special" effects only in combination with other specific additives. Some recreational "cocktails" are well known and a couple even mentioned in your link.

It is a wrong drug, and is not necessary (quick 3 stage sleep one can achieve doing trivial Delta waves entrainment) but it is definitely not the reason of Musk tweets.

I don't know what world you're living in but in my world people are amazed by such a great product with the best "would buy again" rating of any automaker. Most don't know Musk beyond his Steve Job's like image, and we somehow accepted that Steve Jobs was odd without calling him an emperor with no clothes. In fact, Jobs would perhaps still be with us if he wasn't so odd and just had surgery instead of his bizarre alternative attempts at cures. Elon, like Jobs, and practically all geniuses, has odd qualities and you must take the good with the bad or you wouldn't get the good at all. Someone who significantly helped bring Tesla to fruition, and has allowed me to own two incredible long range EV vehicles, that I can supercharge all over North America -- is not an unclothed emperor at all. Vincent van Gogh cut off his ear when he lost touch with reality -- but it didn't make his paintings any less magnificent. And I can go on and on with the odd, bizarre tales of human geniuses -- and what they have given us. They are very different, and in a completely different category, than the emperor who has no clothes, which makes me wonder if you even read that tale.

I get tired of this narrative. How do we know Elon is a genius? Because he had a vision of nice quality, long range electric cars?

I had a vision once, for a senior project back in college, I came up with a system pretty much identical to Onstar. I had this idea about five years before Onstar came to market. Does that make me a genius, or did I just see an opportunity?

Musk imagined what he wanted, gathered up some engineers, and told them, "Make it happen". Then he ensured they were well funded enough to do so, and carry out his vision. Does that make him a good leader, and good at raising capital? I'll say it does. Does it make him a genius? Not necessarily.

He didn't invent the electric car, and he didn't even really invent high-speed charging. He brought Tesla to fruition with a lot of talented help. I give Musk a lot of crap and he's kind of a d*ck, but the fact that Tesla exists today at all is a testament to Musk's tenacity. He's come close to failing many times, only to somehow find a way to keep the ball rolling. He manages to inspire great loyalty in his employees and his customers. That all makes him really good at what he does, which is leading Tesla to where it is today. But it doesn't on its own make him a genius.

He may very well have genius level intelligence, I don't know. But Tesla being exhibit A is not enough for me to declare he must be a genius. Lots of other folks could have probably accomplished the same thing with the same resources. Like all good entrepreneurs, he identified an underserved market space, and took advantage of it, to great success. I give him credit for that, he's a good entrepreneur. But this "genius" stuff hits me as sort of "Ehhhh, I dunno…"

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: GSP and SO16
I get tired of this narrative. How do we know Elon is a genius? Because he had a vision of nice quality, long range electric cars?
Let me see, bussiness directory in the same time frame with Yahoo.
Paypal, the idea of using your e-mail to pay online. The idea of using social mechanism for advertisement, paying your clients to use your system. Starting rocket company with the right foot. Designing the cheapest and in the same time one of the most effective rockets. Pushing re-usability and keeping at all time right ratios for cost=effectivity ratios.
Pushing right choices in auto design, listening looking and finding right people for BMS, battery design, thermal management, overall car design and production.
What do you see when you see Model 3 interior? I see half of assembly stations needed to be used for it's assembly. It is designed to be build incredibly cheap for the properties it provides.
At all points and at all moments the people (real people) who were working with him and making all this avesome stuff say the one and the same thing: "We had problem ....Musk solved...."
I had a vision once, for a senior project back in college, I came up with a system pretty much identical to Onstar. I had this idea about five years before Onstar came to market. Does that make me a genius, or did I just see an opportunity?
You did nothing with this idea, so it makes you nobody.
Musk imagined what he wanted, gathered up some engineers, and told them, "Make it happen". Then he ensured they were well funded enough to do so, and carry out his vision. Does that make him a good leader, and good at raising capital? I'll say it does. Does it make him a genius? Not necessarily.
Sure and there many other companies doing what his companies do....
He didn't invent the electric car, and he didn't even really invent high-speed charging. He brought Tesla to fruition with a lot of talented help. I give Musk a lot of crap and he's kind of a d*ck, but the fact that Tesla exists today at all is a testament to Musk's tenacity. He's come close to failing many times, only to somehow find a way to keep the ball rolling. He manages to inspire great loyalty in his employees and his customers. That all makes him really good at what he does, which is leading Tesla to where it is today. But it doesn't on its own make him a genius.
The things he achieved were considered to be impossible. Ability to ask right questions is actually much more important than ability to answer them. Tesla has with some very minor exception same quality engineers and probably not better work force GM has.
He may very well have genius level intelligence, I don't know. But Tesla being exhibit A is not enough for me to declare he must be a genius. Lots of other folks could have probably accomplished the same thing with the same resources. Like all good entrepreneurs, he identified an underserved market space, and took advantage of it, to great success. I give him credit for that, he's a good entrepreneur. But this "genius" stuff hits me as sort of "Ehhhh, I dunno…"
LOL.
Blue Origin has started before SpaceX. Unlimited funds and 16 years later the only thing they can show is a "device" (right name insert here) with the maximum speed less than a cruiser speed of SR-71. All 4 long seconds of it (2 up and 2 down).
Try harder.

• Love
Reactions: GSP and Vitold
Gigafactory was a brilliant move. So is picking right cell size and chemistry.

Model S is still unbeatable after so many years in production.

Model 3 has no competition and bringing profits.

That is just a few things.

Lots of people have ideas. Doesn’t mean squat if they don’t act on them. Implementing an idea is more difficult than having one.

Reactions: Vitold
I am in fact nobody, but that doesn't mean I'm not a genius. ;)
First I want to mention that if my post sounded rude it wasn't.
To return to the genius.
If to paraphrase genius definition in Webster to normal language: Genius is a smart-ass who makes things happen. The word genius is used by others as a mean of recognizing somebody's achievements and ability.

Reactions: mattjs33