Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: Wi-Fi-based garbage-door opening coming soon!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are my WiFi garage door openers (MyQ), being controlled via a 3rd party app (HomeAssistant) over LTE from my Tesla browser. I could do this from China with the same response and result.

I’m failing to understand how if the car can natively call the doors to open automatically when you arrive/leave just like the homelink integration (And put the icon in the upper right like homelink) that is not far superior to using an echo auto.
I thought you were "complaining" that you have to take your phone out to use MyQ, or tap on the screen, i.e. you have to doing something manually.
It's better because I'm not pulling out my phone to open my MyQ garage door.
With Homelink you do nothing. With Alexa, you just say "Alexa, open garage", no manual intervention or distractions. But if you prefer your phone or hitting icons on the screen, that's great. To me that is similar to hitting the button on the opener remote control.

But again, I was asking how this new Wifi feature is going to be better than any of this..

I thought you were "complaining" that you have to take your phone out to use MyQ, or tap on the screen, i.e. you have to doing something manually.

With Homelink you do nothing. With Alexa, you just say "Alexa, open garage", no manual intervention or distractions. But if you prefer your phone or hitting icons on the screen, that's great. To me that is similar to hitting the button on the opener remote control.

But again, I was asking how this new Wifi feature is going to be better than any of this..

I’m a massive home automation nerd. I don’t like to do anything manually.

If we’re lucky it will be the exact same functionality of Homelink but instead of using a radio to talk to your garage door it uses cloud based API calls over LTE. This is better because I don’t need to spend $300 on a useless Homelink radio

if this functionality is on parity with Homelink then it’s better than using a MyQ app or Alexa because both of those are manual processes.

Reactions: tren01t
I’m a massive home automation nerd. I don’t like to do anything manually.

If we’re lucky it will be the exact same functionality of Homelink but instead of using a radio to talk to your garage door it uses cloud based API calls over LTE. This is better because I don’t need to spend $300 on a useless Homelink radio

if this functionality is on parity with Homelink then it’s better than using a MyQ app or Alexa because both of those are manual processes.
If you do lotsa home automaton, what platform do you use? I gather not Alexa or Nest/Home...

Why do you call Alexa "manual" ? Its voice. I appreciate that people like the automatic proximity opener feature, but frankly, I personally would rather have the voice command because I don't always want to open the garage door when I drive in. Sometimes there are other circumstances so I don't want it opened immediately every time I drive closeby... but that's just me I guess.

The thread title says "WiFi-based". If it turns out to be LTE-based instead, sure that would be a lot better.

If you do lotsa home automaton, what platform do you use? I gather not Alexa or Nest/Home...

Why do you call Alexa "manual" ? Its voice. I appreciate that people like the automatic proximity opener feature, but frankly, I personally would rather have the voice command because I don't always want to open the garage door when I drive in. Sometimes there are other circumstances so I don't want it opened immediately every time I drive closeby... but that's just me I guess.

The thread title says "WiFi-based". If it turns out to be LTE-based instead, sure that would be a lot better.

The thread is about this tweet.

“Elon, any way we could get a WiFi garage door opening icon. For users that do not have Homelink and do have a WiFi enable garage door, this would be a very useful feature.”

A WiFi enabled garage door does not mean the device triggering it is on WiFi as well. Therefore talking about a client calling the APIs over LTE to open a WiFi enabled garage door opener is perfectly valid in this thread.

Those are very high level simple consumer level “platforms”. I use HomeAssistant. I do have some Echos connected to it for voice control for things not automated but just because something is voice controlled doesn’t make it automated, voice control is just as manual as pressing buttons.

This is an automation I have written in HomeAssistant to open the garage door when I enter the home zone (tracked via phone) and it’s between 3pm-5:30pm on a day identified as a work day. It also announces via an echo in the living room that I am home and welcomes me with a notification. This is working for now but I would much rather the car trigger the door to open since I don’t have the automation detecting what vehicle is approaching yet to open the proper door.

9008DD40-7BF3-486D-9143-5A62D5FCEBF2.jpeg

Last edited:
We'll have to agree to disagree on this point... "manual" literally means using your hands.

In the world of homeautomation you have automation and you have manual triggers. Voice is a manual trigger for an action. It’s certainly not automated. I’m not sure why it matters really, if you’re happy with it then go for it. I prefer automation and it sounds like it’s coming no matter what we agree to here :p