Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency Lane Departure - False Positives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far, so good for me (been installed for just a week, and only ~100 miles of driving or so on mostly urban multi-lane surface streets). Zero triggers of ELDA so far. I have never turned it off. 2019.16.2

To make sure I know what is what, I did set LDA to "Warn" only. I was able to get LDA to trigger quite a few times right after install when I was trying to get it to go, but in general those seemed appropriate. (After going to LDA warn, only one appropriate vibrate of the LDA warning so far.) Set to "warn" now with the thinking that if I get any beeping or correction, I'll know it was an ELDA intervention.

Hopefully I'll get the next update before any false triggers occur.

On what firmware are you? If 2019.16.2.x, then make sure the car updates ASAP.

My experience is that that release lets ELDA try to get you back "'in the middle of the lane" or what it thinks the lane is (when you have a narrow two-way street it's wrong), like LDA, whereas at least here in Europe 2019.16.3.2 tries to just nudge you enough to avoid the fake "emergency" danger zone but not much more.

It used to be EXTREMELY nerve-wrecking one narrow roads with two bike suggestion lanes, but less so now that I have 2019.16.3.2. Not that I don't turn it off unless I'm driving only motorways, but at least it's stopped spooking me badly when I forget to turn it off.

Reactions: Cely
On what firmware are you? If 2019.16.2.x, then make sure the car updates ASAP.

My experience is that that release lets ELDA try to get you back "'in the middle of the lane" or what it thinks the lane is (when you have a narrow two-way street it's wrong), like LDA, whereas at least here in Europe 2019.16.3.2 tries to just nudge you enough to avoid the fake "emergency" danger zone but not much more.

It used to be EXTREMELY nerve-wrecking one narrow roads with two bike suggestion lanes, but less so now that I have 2019.16.3.2. Not that I don't turn it off unless I'm driving only motorways, but at least it's stopped spooking me badly when I forget to turn it off.

Did not get 2019.16.3.2 update yet. Nevertheless I would prefer the ability to turn it off completely. May be I can turn it on when all bug/kinks worked out, algorithms has been improved.

I've lit them up through multiple channels about this and get no real response. Talked to a few techs who referenced they hadn't even heard of it or thought I was talking about when Autopilot was enabled.. I don't think anyone knew what this feature did before it was released.

• Informative
Reactions: chinnam3
I've lit them up through multiple channels about this and get no real response. Talked to a few techs who referenced they hadn't even heard of it or thought I was talking about when Autopilot was enabled.. I don't think anyone knew what this feature did before it was released.

Just as a note, I've probably annoyed a bunch of the poor customer support by folks now - at a minimum. The common theme of the responses I finally got were that they

"prioritize all feature requests"
"based on the number of similar requests"
"consider if this would enhance the overall customer experience"

so feel free to keep lighting them up ;)

Reactions: chinnam3 and GSP
Just as a note, I've probably annoyed a bunch of the poor customer support by folks now - at a minimum. The common theme of the responses I finally got were that they

"prioritize all feature requests"
"based on the number of similar requests"
"consider if this would enhance the overall customer experience"

so feel free to keep lighting them up ;)

I love your persistence!!! When it's finally disabled we'll call it MsJulie mode!!

Ditto, but have not yet been on any two lane highways. Just well-marked (suburban) multi-lane surface streets and freeway.

Mine fought me again yesterday due to dead squirrel in road. I was ready to fight this time! I'm no weakling but I find it strong to overpower.. but I shouldn't have to white-knuckle drive just to outsteer my car. I'd rather put it in Ms Julie mode and DISABLE IT !

Mine fought me again yesterday due to dead squirrel in road. I was ready to fight this time! I'm no weakling but I find it strong to overpower.. but I shouldn't have to white-knuckle drive just to outsteer my car. I'd rather put it in Ms Julie mode and DISABLE IT !

I have a rear wheel car and it doesn't seem too hard to fight if you get past the alarm sound. Do you have a dual motor? I know from the dual motors I've driven, the steering is much heavier. I wonder if they're harder to fight.

I'm part of the 6.5% still on 2019.12.1.2 and am continuing to avoid this update until I can permanently turn ELDA off. This was a completely predictable result though. AP still struggles with merge lanes and identifying where to be, how the heck did anyone think this system was ready to now interject steering input??

I haven't seen this variable yet. Snow and ice. I can certainly tell you the last thing I want when dealing with dicey winter conditions is to have to fight my car's correction and unsettle the car which could quite possibly result in understeering into the left lane. Again, so so poorly thought out :facepalm:

I'm part of the 6.5% still on 2019.12.1.2 and am continuing to avoid this update until I can permanently turn ELDA off. This was a completely predictable result though. AP still struggles with merge lanes and identifying where to be, how the heck did anyone think this system was ready to now interject steering input??

I haven't seen this variable yet. Snow and ice. I can certainly tell you the last thing I want when dealing with dicey winter conditions is to have to fight my car's correction and unsettle the car which could quite possibly result in understeering into the left lane. Again, so so poorly thought out :facepalm:
Well theoretically it could intervene only when there is a very high probability of a collision. Autopilot needs to make decisions in more ambiguous situations to avoid deactivating all the time.
I’ve had ELDA engage a couple times in the same spot and honestly it didn’t bother me that much. Probably because I had read about it beforehand. Though having it engage in icy conditions could be harrowing!

Probably because I had read about it beforehand. Though having it engage in icy conditions could be harrowing!

That's another thing - us vocal and informed folks on forums are not the majority of Tesla owners right?

What happens when you aren't forewarned from all the many threads and not prepared to have a disagreement with your car on a false positive? That can't be good...

That's another thing - us vocal and informed folks on forums are not the majority of Tesla owners right?

What happens when you aren't forewarned from all the many threads and not prepared to have a disagreement with your car on a false positive? That can't be good...
Msjulie rules and rocks!!!

• Funny
Reactions: Msjulie
It's had a particular dislike to this Cactus for me. Ended up crossing the yellow lines.
Not always, probably speed dependent, BUT it's not a very wide lane.

Wasn't bothered about the trees right on the edge of the road and overhanging though.

View attachment 415892
This example is much like the roads around where I live in the Santa Cruz mountains. There’s often not even enough room for the painted white line. Again this is why I’m waiting to upgrade until this feature is much more reliable or able to be kept turned off. The reports on the newer versions hint at improvements but it’s not clear to me whether this is really fixed yet. And I’m surprised it is taking this long given the numerous folk who have said they’ve complained. I hope it’s not going to come to reports of accidents caused by this feature to get this addressed. Actually, given that drivers will hopefully be able to wrest control back, I hope this doesn’t end up freaking people out about driving a Tesla.

The ELDA "tried to help me crash" once more a few days ago. I was driving on a normal Norwegian road with one lane in each direction separated by a yellow line. Suddenly two fire engines were coming towards us, and I steered to the right, to give them plenty of space. There were high grass on the right side of the road, and ELDA made an alarm and tried to steer me back into the oncoming fire engines. Not funny at all. This time I even think I made a right turn-signal before departing the lane out on the shoulder of the road. Didn't help.

I was in the right lane here.

upload_2019-6-9_12-40-11.png

The ELDA "tried to help me crash" once more a few days ago. I was driving on a normal Norwegian road with one lane in each direction separated by a yellow line. Suddenly two fire engines were coming towards us, and I steered to the right, to give them plenty of space. There were high grass on the right side of the road, and ELDA made an alarm and tried to steer me back into the oncoming fire engines. Not funny at all. This time I even think I made a right turn-signal before departing the lane out on the shoulder of the road. Didn't help.

I was in the right lane here.

View attachment 417299
I can’t see how a false positive is avoidable in that situation. The system is designed to steer you away from a soft shoulder. I guess Tesla just expects everyone to get used to steering with enough torque to override it.

Reactions: Snow Drift
I can’t see how a false positive is avoidable in that situation. The system is designed to steer you away from a soft shoulder. I guess Tesla just expects everyone to get used to steering with enough torque to override it.
There does seem to be a minimum speed at which it’s willing to kick in. Under 10mph it seems happy with going into turnouts and situations like that here. Flying off the road at 50mph and slamming on the brakes, it was very unhappy about leaving the road though.

FWIW on 2019.20.1, the ELDA push back is a lot softer. Feels much less jarring than when it kicks in on .16.2.