Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency Lane Departure - False Positives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like EDLA is behaving much better since 20.4.4. I started driving without switching ELDA off and rarely encounter a false positive now. There's one particular part of my drive where a change in the road surface material combined with a gentle curve next to a curb still seems to fool it, but all the other false positives seem to have gone away.

I still would rather be able to disable it completely. Even though I know what it's going to do on my daily commute, I have no idea if something will set it off when I'm driving someplace unfamiliar. That's the worse time for the car to act unpredictably.

It looks like [ELDA] is behaving much better since 20.4.4. I started driving without switching ELDA off and rarely encounter a false positive now. There's one particular part of my drive where a change in the road surface material combined with a gentle curve next to a curb still seems to fool it, but all the other false positives seem to have gone away.
Video clip, please!

The worse part of the Model 3 emergency alerts is that they are so LOUD, they cause even more panic for me than keeping my eyes on the road without them. Model S alerts are much quieter.
It sounds like you’ve encountered it more than once. If you could share video of a false positive from ELDA that would help us understand what can confuse it and be particularly interesting for those of us who have never seen it activate. Just the footage from the Tesla cameras would be great.

Could this be the end of forced ELDA? I got 24.4 yesterday and when I went to turn off ELDA, the warning about it turning on again at the start of the next drive wasn't there. I put the car in park and started again and it didn't turn back on, but I didn't get out and let it sleep, so I don't know if it will turn on again automatically. Will find out in a few hours when I leave from work.

Could this be the end of forced ELDA? I got 24.4 yesterday and when I went to turn off ELDA, the warning about it turning on again at the start of the next drive wasn't there. I put the car in park and started again and it didn't turn back on, but I didn't get out and let it sleep, so I don't know if it will turn on again automatically. Will find out in a few hours when I leave from work.

Someone on the Tesla Owners forum confirmed that it stayed off (some days back) and I've heard nothing that disputes that (yipee!)

My car has a service call out to push that (odd they are sending someone to me/the car to do this..)

• Helpful
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
This is exciting news! Tesla seems pretty lax on their public change log for software so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this changed without notice.

Looks like I can stop avoiding my software updates and upgrade from 12.1.2. :)

Reactions: Msjulie
Everyone can now disable this and resume veering off the road. ;)

I still haven't had an ELDA event; it's been a couple months. Plenty of LDA corrections to keep me on my toes and remind me to signal early though (sometimes I seem to get a little lax when there is no other traffic around - gotta step up my game).

Speaking of games...rather than these silly games they keep implementing, now that they can detect all this stuff, Tesla should implement a game where it keeps score of how good a driver you are. They can monitor lane compliance, following distance, signaling, near misses, etc. But it shouldn't penalize you for driving hard. Penalties only for situations where the car would intervene or gets nervous (a forward collision alert would be a penalty). Everyone can compete.

Reactions: DR61

I still haven't had an ELDA event; it's been a couple months. Plenty of LDA corrections to keep me on my toes and remind me to signal early though (sometimes I seem to get a little lax when there is no other traffic around - gotta step up my game).

Speaking of games...rather than these silly games they keep implementing, now that they can detect all this stuff, Tesla should implement a game where it keeps score of how good a driver you are. They can monitor lane compliance, following distance, signaling, near misses, etc. But it shouldn't penalize you for driving hard. Penalties only for situations where the car would intervene or gets nervous (a forward collision alert would be a penalty). Everyone can compete.

How about a little face animation on the screen, than tells you how nervous your passengers might be, and you can select the category of passengers you have in the car.

:D:);):cool::oops::confused::eek::mad:

I've have yet, in more years than I care to remember, departed a lane w/o intention - let's hope this isn't the jinx moment! :p

Even basic lane departure doesn't like some of the roads I drive where there's lane swapping going on due to construction. My morning commute has a super annoying lane squeeze of 2 lanes off onto the center/left turn lane. LDA is not amused.

I wouldn't mind having the car 'grade' whomever is driving with some limits: it can't ever send it's data out of the car and it should allow clearing it too I'm guessing else family members will be a spying on one another ;)

Games are fine I guess but I don't really play them in the car; more useful is the oft-requested Sentry mode (all captured video really) display on that nice big screen..

My morning commute has a super annoying lane squeeze of 2 lanes off onto the center/left turn lane. LDA is not amused.

Even though you're signaling it intervenes?

I've never had a problem with LDA when I'm signaling. That being said, I have not played and played with it - it is possible it intervenes even when signaling in the right situation - I only notice when it intervenes, and I've definitely consistently seen it intervene when I approach or cross lines without a signal out. For example, when exiting a freeway and crossing a solid white line because I was lazy and cutting the curve off. And then another time because I was driving and signalling with one hand, so I was using the turn of the wheel to the left and simultaneously hitting the turn stalk with my hand - but not fast enough for LDA. Just pure laziness and sloppiness on my part.

Last edited:
Even though you're signaling it intervenes?

No signaling here - this particular thing is a bunch of cones on either side of the real lanes than directs you over and into the center/turn lane that is the temp travel lane for getting around the construction zone... so you've caught me out not signaling but honestly I wonder how many would think they should signal when in a 'tunnel' of cones like that..

Tough problem for an AI to figure out I'm guessing..

I'm kinda of the mind that I'll drive the car when I'm driving and happy to have the car do the best it can when it's driving, including stuff like departing lanes.. ;)

the car do the best it can when it's driving, including stuff like departing lanes..

Fair enough...but presumably there is no reason for LDA when the car is driving. Perhaps ELDA would still be useful when using AP in an area it should not be used (tight curves). ELDA & LDA are specifically meant to address mistakes by humans. Fairly sure such things have been proven to improve safety.

Anyway, it's unfortunate Tesla rolled it out in a way (very poor initial implementation) that biased people against it. At least they've improved it and given people everything they want for now. I suppose it'll be a small percentage of people who turn it off so at least most of the benefit will persist.

Even basic lane departure doesn't like some of the roads I drive where there's lane swapping going on due to construction. My morning commute has a super annoying lane squeeze of 2 lanes off onto the center/left turn lane. LDA is not amused.
I'm confused by these reports. I have yet to experience ELDA or LDA intervene or sound a warning despite many different kinds of roads (freeways, highways, city streets, windy mountain/country roads, narrow roads with no lane markings at all, etc) as well as in construction areas with lane-swapping even into normally opposing lanes (no signaling of course), across the center divider for coned-off potholes or passing bicycles (with signaling in this last case), passing close by trash bins or other obstructions on the side of the road, etc.

So, what is different? Why do some people experience interventions or warnings while others do not? How firmly you give the steering input? How fast or slow you're driving in these situations? Other seemingly unrelated settings having an impact?

LDA intervene

If you want to experience this...first you need to make sure you have it on...which I assume you do on "Assist".
It should be relatively easy for you to get this to intervene for you. You just have to drift in your lane without much steering input and no signal. It won't always intervene - it seems that the higher the speed the more likely it is.

ELDA - no idea how to get it.

LDA - quite easy to get it to intervene, but you have to be deliberately drifting, crossing a line, without a signal. If you have any significant steering effort it usually won't intervene, even if you're not signaling. The exact logic is difficult to determine. But overall it's relatively easy to get it to happen. Should not take long if you try, and it is enabled. If you're in the habit of signaling whenever you plan to exit (or get close to exiting) your lane for any reason (even when you're not changing lanes), then it's pretty unlikely you'll see it, I think.