Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency Lane Departure - False Positives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was taking an exit ramp wide on corner entry and the system went off. Pretty startling. My wife shrieked. This system sucks.

Yes, it's like driving calmly and silently down the road, and then some invisible passenger suddenly, and without warning shouts "WATCH OUT" in your ear and grabs the steering wheel out of your hand.

While you are trying to work out what you are supposed to be "Watching Out For", and at the same time correcting the steering to go where you are intended, ANYTHING could be happening.

Yes, it's like driving calmly and silently down the road, and then some invisible passenger suddenly, and without warning shouts "WATCH OUT" in your ear and grabs the steering wheel out of your hand.

On the topic of steering, since you seem to have these interventions, as a mitigation strategy for the terrible rollout strategy for this feature: Have you tried adjusting the steering effort/assist to "comfort"?

I just wonder whether it would make it a little easier to override the steering input from the ELDA. I found that with Autosteer, I had to dial DOWN the steering assist (to sport or normal), because I found that it resulted in less of a jerk/swerve when disengaging the Autosteer with steering input. (In comfort mode, the torque to overcome Autosteer results in quite a swerve as compared to the same torque in Sport/Normal. At least for me. Autosteer would "give up", and then the steering would tend to get overcorrected because I would not relax the torque fast enough. )

In this case, though, maybe having a little bit more help would be a good thing? I have no idea whether it would change the way it feels to fight the ELDA demon...just asking.

Was taking an exit ramp wide on corner entry and the system went off. Pretty startling. My wife shrieked. This system sucks.

I still wonder if you just turned on Lane Departure Avoidance, would you get the little push, but avoid the alarm? I've gotten a number* of LDA pushes, but have never gotten an ELDA alarm.

* It would be fun if stats from our driving were available to us. XX miles using autosteer; XX miles using TACC; XX LDA activattions; XX ELDA activations; ...

While you are trying to work out what you are supposed to be "Watching Out For", and at the same time correcting the steering to go where you are intended, ANYTHING could be happening.
ELDA is horrible. Please Tesla fix this.

On the topic of steering, since you seem to have these interventions, as a mitigation strategy for the terrible rollout strategy for this feature: Have you tried adjusting the steering effort/assist to "comfort"?

I just wonder whether it would make it a little easier to override the steering input from the ELDA. I found that with Autosteer, I had to dial DOWN the steering assist (to sport or normal), because I found that it resulted in less of a jerk/swerve when disengaging the Autosteer with steering input. (In comfort mode, the torque to overcome Autosteer results in quite a swerve as compared to the same torque in Sport/Normal. At least for me. Autosteer would "give up", and then the steering would tend to get overcorrected because I would not relax the torque fast enough. )

In this case, though, maybe having a little bit more help would be a good thing? I have no idea whether it would change the way it feels to fight the ELDA demon...just asking.

Not tried that, that would probably help. Have it set on 'Normal' usually. Looking the otherway, setting to "Sport" with a stiffer feel may damp the over-correction.

One way or the other would probably help mitigate the situation.

Unfortunately, my wife has given the car back to Tesla to be fixed. So I can't try it out.

2019.16.2 is arguably the worst for ELDA. My impression is that once it decides to intervene it tries to jerk you all the way back to what it thinks is the middle of the lane, rather than where you were planning to drive (which on roads with bike suggestion lanes in the Benelux is a disaster).

2019.16.3.2 seems to do just enough to "avoid" the fake emergency and is much gentler (though the startling alarm sound remains the same). There are also some bus stops that it would absolutely refuse to drive over with 2019.16.2 that now give me only the little LDA warning rattle on the steering wheel, and not a peep from ELDA.

There's enough of a difference to make me forget to switch it off, something that never happened with 2019.16.2 ;-).

Reactions: hcdavis3
2019.16.2 is arguably the worst for ELDA. My impression is that once it decides to intervene it tries to jerk you all the way back to what it thinks is the middle of the lane, rather than where you were planning to drive (which on roads with bike suggestion lanes in the Benelux is a disaster).

2019.16.3.2 seems to do just enough to "avoid" the fake emergency and is much gentler (though the startling alarm sound remains the same). There are also some bus stops that it would absolutely refuse to drive over with 2019.16.2 that now give me only the little LDA warning rattle on the steering wheel, and not a peep from ELDA.

There's enough of a difference to make me forget to switch it off, something that never happened with 2019.16.2 ;-).
Please Tesla. Give us the option to permanently turn off ELDA. It’s very intrusive and invasive.

16.3 doesn’t go far enough.

Same false alarm issue here. The ELDA fires almost every time at the same location. It is a curved road exiting the highway (see map screenshot below). I reported to Tesla support with suggestion to add option disabling ELDA permanently.
Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 11.18.18 AM.png

• Love
Reactions: jkeyser14
I haven't experienced this much at all. A false ELDA has appeared twice and only on a tricky corner that I drive through daily, but it seems to have learned from that experience as it no longer signals at that spot. As for LDA, I find it operates very gently and only when I have not directed the car to turn.

I haven't experienced this much at all. A false ELDA has appeared twice and only on a tricky corner that I drive through daily, but it seems to have learned from that experience as it no longer signals at that spot. As for LDA, I find it operates very gently and only when I have not directed the car to turn.
If I forget to turn it off ,I’m cruising along happy and it goes off it totally ruins my drive. I f@@#$ hate ELDA. It is the single worst firmware I’ve had to date. Please please please please Tesla, give the option to turn it off completely. Are you listening????

If I forget to turn it off ,I’m cruising along happy and it goes off it totally ruins my drive. I f@@#$ hate ELDA. It is the single worst firmware I’ve had to date. Please please please please Tesla, give the option to turn it off completely. Are you listening????

I almost got into another accident yesterday(Total 3 false positives so far). No Radar cruise, no autopilot, just driving myself. Lines were clear, road curving slightly. It is single lane road with opposite side traffic. Suddenly it pulled steering to the left with warning beeps and saying steering corrected. It was very quick, and by the time I hold the steering tight to counter it, car was less than a foot from opposite side traffic. Ofcourse got honked because of this, it was very scary. Guess opposite side driver got scared sh*t with all Tesla stories going around. impact would have been 70MPH collision, I was driving 35, and opposite side 35. We do not want to add any more stories to what is already there.

WTH tesla thinking when they added this feature? Did they even test anything at all? Why they hell I have to put in drive turn off this damn this every time before start? Tesla can you stop this insanity? Tesla owners in general are very forgiving for pioneering ideas, but this is beyond ridiculous.

Last edited: