Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency Lane Departure - False Positives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far, so good for me (been installed for just a week, and only ~100 miles of driving or so on mostly urban multi-lane surface streets). Zero triggers of ELDA so far. I have never turned it off. 2019.16.2

To make sure I know what is what, I did set LDA to "Warn" only. I was able to get LDA to trigger quite a few times right after install when I was trying to get it to go, but in general those seemed appropriate. (After going to LDA warn, only one appropriate vibrate of the LDA warning so far.) Set to "warn" now with the thinking that if I get any beeping or correction, I'll know it was an ELDA intervention.

Hopefully I'll get the next update before any false triggers occur.
Just turn on Assist. It is not intrusive at all. Normal driving it won't kick on unless you are going over the line, and when it does you can easily keep the car straight. Again, you and I are steering ourselves, so it isn't as scary as for people using auto steer.

I had my first ELDA situation (2019.16.2). The road was widening from one lane to two (a turn lane) and there was a pot hole in the middle of the Y and the side of the road had a high curb and wall-like grade of land. As I tired to avoid the pothole there was a loud beep, screen showed red, and the wheel moved to correct me...but I was able to control it and there wasn't any issue. I assume the curb/wall concerned the car. Worst part was really the beep, but in a real emergency it would get your attention.

There does seem to be a minimum speed at which it’s willing to kick in. Under 10mph it seems happy with going into turnouts and situations like that here. Flying off the road at 50mph and slamming on the brakes, it was very unhappy about leaving the road though.

FWIW on 2019.20.1, the ELDA push back is a lot softer. Feels much less jarring than when it kicks in on .16.2.
25 mph is the minimum speed. The system doesn't do anything below it.

• Informative
Reactions: chillaban
I got update 2019.20.1 on Friday, and have don approx 800miles since (Admittedly mostly freeway miles) and haven't had any false positives since the update.

Too early to call it fixed, but starting to be a bit more confident that it will act more like the Emergency Braking which is un-obtrusive.

Won't satisfy everyone though, as still can't turn off ELDA permanently (or rather a sticky switch).

I got update 2019.20.1 on Friday, and have don approx 800miles since (Admittedly mostly freeway miles) and haven't had any false positives since the update.

Too early to call it fixed, but starting to be a bit more confident that it will act more like the Emergency Braking which is un-obtrusive.

Won't satisfy everyone though, as still can't turn off ELDA permanently (or rather a sticky switch).
I guess I’ll give it a try... been waiting on 2019.12.2 and ignoring frequent requests to update. Several folks have commented that 20.1 works better. Here’s hoping I don’t regret this on the narrow winding rural roads around here – can it handle trash bins parked encroaching on the white line here and there? If it does start acting up, at least I will be able to add my voice to try to get them to fix this.

Even if it is behaving perfectly, having the right to choose how your car behaves seems email-worthy to me...
Seeing that they’re unwilling to provide the same preference for AEB ever since they introduced it in 2015.... it seems like they want to regard ELDA the same way.

I’m definitely having more difficulty getting it to trigger on 2019.20.1 without actually being afraid to lose control of my car. Rapidly veering towards a soft shoulder still seems to do it but maybe a second or so before I wouldn’t be able to recover.

I reported this to Tesla Support today. Spent almost an hour with them on the phone. I dowloaded 2019.16.2 last night. The car panicked several times on my way to work this morning. A couple were downright scary. All of them, in my opinion, were false positives, but the most distressing thing is that I have no way to disable this feature. Yes, you can scroll through the menu and disable every time you put the car in drive, but it resets itself back to 'enabled' every time you put the car in park. I'm begging them to find some internal control that tech support can set in my car to permanently deactivate Emergency Lane Assist.

To clarify, this is not the "Lane Assist" feature, I have that turned off. This is clearly the Emergency Lane Assist. I was not using any auto steer or cruise control at the time.

1st time: driving on a narrow two way country road at 45mph. I passed some trash bins near the curb on my passenger side. My Model 3 panicked as if the bins were a car, and yanked the wheel to the left, and I slightly crossed over the center line (INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC) (Fortunately the oncoming car was quite a ways back). This was a very unnerving feeling, that my car is going to jump at its own shadow. I immediately remembered the software update, pulled over, and disabled the feature.

2nd time: Driving through a parking lot (well under 45mph), I crossed over some white lines towards the end of a parking row. The car thought I was departing some sort of lane and yanked the wheel left and right, causing my trajectory to move left and right about half a foot in either direction. Mostly I was surprised because I didn't yet realize this feature re-enables itself (which it tells you in a notification message when you turn it off). If I had been cutting close to a parking block, I might have run over it.

3rd time: Narrow country road, two-way traffic. An oncoming car caused my car to panic and yanked the wheel to the right. Again, not the direction I want to go (with there being a steep ravine about 12" beyond the white line to the right). Not a good feeling.

Laurence.
2019 Model 3 Dual Motor Enhanced Autopilot
My wife had the same experience and went through the same thing. Contacted Tesla support, said could not permanently disable. She now HATES her M3 and swears she’s going to sell it if they don’t correct this. She’s not the best driver, but had no problems with the car before these recent updates. I reviewed the Tesla dash cam, and she wasn’t off the road. I hope Tesla is listening!! I have a 2015 S and love it, and am so disappointed that she is now turned off of the car and afraid to drive it. Please help.

• Informative
Reactions: chinnam3
My wife had the same experience and went through the same thing. Contacted Tesla support, said could not permanently disable. She now HATES her M3 and swears she’s going to sell it if they don’t correct this. She’s not the best driver, but had no problems with the car before these recent updates. I reviewed the Tesla dash cam, and she wasn’t off the road. I hope Tesla is listening!! I have a 2015 S and love it, and am so disappointed that she is now turned off of the car and afraid to drive it. Please help.

I 100% do not believe they can not disable these things, it is software for flipping sake and they wrote it - disabling for 1 drive vs forever is not rocket science and as there is no law requiring this behavior or even the AEB, it's probably someone not feeling like dealing with you (us).

Don't give up writing though.. they do need some time to be able to digest the outcry.. but I will say I can understand her feeling. It is so annoying that Tesla thinks they should change how the car behaves AFTER we buy it w/o the notion of giving owners control.

It's the principal here which bothers me the most.

@CarMAN3 My neighbor is an attorney and I plan to speak with her on this 'product feature' when she returns from a 2 week vacation. It's the last thing I really want to do but I want to understand what recourse might be available should it come to that... big sigh

I won't go that route personally because I think so highly of what Tesla is trying to do and hope they can resolve this quickly (as quickly as they caused it).

My issue is around this whole escalation process and "No Downgrade" policy. I work with technology companies every day, when there's a product issue, we can escalate to Product Managers for the development teams that handle those specific features. If Tesla wants to treat these products like a tech company would, they need to develop a proper escalation process for software issues and a way to downgrade software if it's causing a safety concern. The response to this issue has been severely lacking on all fronts. Vague messages, people pretending (or out of touch) saying they haven't heard of any issues when you can get on here, Telsa's main forum, Twitter, etc and find all of the reports (especially in Europe).

They aren't a traditional car company, I can't go to the dealer (and I live 90 miles+ from the closest store) and escalate to the car companies Regional or District Manager (as I've done in the past), etc. I completely understand, but you have to give me another avenue to get a software problem as painful as this one fixed or reverted as soon as humanly possible. I'm not the only one on here I'm sure that works out of my car, it becomes a second home. Hardware breaks I get it, but I shouldn't fighting this over a software 'feature' that was recently added to the car.

I won't go that route personally because I think so highly of what Tesla is trying to do and hope they can resolve this quickly (as quickly as they caused it).

With you 100% on that, I just figure knowledge is power.

My issue is around this whole escalation process and "No Downgrade" policy.

I work at a technology company, software is my thing as a matter of fact.. so I understand why they would say that - support, etc - But, and it's the big one, customer satisfaction should matter and be factored in to their process better.

If Tesla wants to treat these products like a tech company would, they need to develop a proper escalation process for software issues and a way to downgrade software if it's causing a safety concern.

Agree but with the small tweak "if it's causing a safety concern or otherwise results in a decrease in customer satisfaction, as defined by the customer"

Hardware breaks I get it, but I shouldn't fighting this over a software 'feature' that was recently added to the car.

Yep!