Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EMF (radiation) emissions from Tesla batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My parents always told me not to sit too close to the cathode tube on both our old RCA black and white TV and the later color TV.
In a way, sort of, that is good advice. Human brains have evolved over time to fear the unknown. {See that bush over there. There might be a hungry lion hiding in it. Stay away from that!} Actual safety training programs teach hazard recognition. So it is quite reasonable for conservative people to err on the side of caution and let the risk-takers try out that new thing and be the guinea pigs.

Shouting "Fire" in a crowded theater, when there is no fire is the classic example of the damage that can be caused by people who spread false information, claiming it is the truth. The fact that their intentions were good or evil, for any number of reasons, doesn't affect the amount of damage done by the act. It is a bit sad that somewhere, sometime, someone will miss the joy of owning a Tesla because they heard . . . . . . . . . . . . but that's the world we live in.

Upvote 0
I'll tell you what. These model Y's are SO toxic and unhealthy, I wouldn't want you to spend another second inside of one, risking life and limb. I'll help you mitigate that risk for free. Just sign your Model Y over to me, and I won't even charge you a dime for saving your life. I'll take all the risk, and charge you nothing. Just the kind of guy I am.

Upvote 0
Your own advertisement you posted tells you it's not EMF you need to worry about. It's RF. And as I said, I'll be HAPPY to relieve you of the burden of driving around in an EMF death trap. Free. No charge to you. Just sign it over to me.
Oh and how did that product mitigate the issue? By wrapping RF sources in metal mesh. And let's see... the Tesla battery is wrapped what? And sits under what? Oh yeah. Metal. Imagine that

So go ahead, buy your metal mesh mats, metal mesh underwear, and metal mesh gloves. As PT Barnum correctly pointed out, theres one born every minute

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You all that don’t think emf is a thing know you can just simply ignore the topic vs. come on and openly attack, humiliate and insult other people simply because you don’t agree with them, right? Insulting people who never even bothered you to begin with?
It is your assertions that we are ridiculing. Silly ideas without evidence deserve ridicule. I would expect no less if I tried to convince you that leprechauns were real based on claims from Youtube videos.

Upvote 0
You all that don’t think emf is a thing know you can just simply ignore the topic vs. come on and openly attack, humiliate and insult other people simply because you don’t agree with them, right? Insulting people who never even bothered you to begin with?
This isn’t agree vs disagree, it’s reality vs. fantasy.

Upvote 0
Well, I DID spend an entire afternoon hanging curtain rods for a non-neurosurgon who swears her tea leaves left no doubt whatsoever that every world leader is really an alien sent here from the planet Tramalgafor to sterilize the population of earth, utilizing EMF waves from cell phones, in preparation for the big alien invasion..... In 2022.
When i posted this info on an Astronomy/Cosmological chat board, knowing they would want to be warned, they did not scoff at all. No. No ridicule whatsoever. As a matter of fact, the Martian and Satorian delegation offered to pay money to hush me up.

• Funny
Reactions: Stirfry
Upvote 0
Nobody came on here and said they want to get rid of their Tesla. Nobody said they're getting rid of their cell phone. Nobody told any of you to do the same. I just said that people I work with, people much smarter than all of you... and me... take pause and suggest the radiation emitted by many of the electronics we use do give off a significant amount of radiation... and likely are having a negative effect on health. These folks deal with people who suffer from a myriad of neurological disorders who can't even own a cell phone because it causes severe migraine headaches for them. Whether any of you want to believe it, or not, is just fine. You do you.

The CDC even says they don't have a 'definite answer' as to whether or not this type of radiation can cause cancer. More research is needed. It will take many decades before any real conclusions can be made. The CDC goes on:

"Yes – cell phones and cordless phones use radiofrequency radiation (RF) to send signals. RF is different from other types of radiation (like x-rays) that we know can be harmful. We don’t know for sure if RF radiation from cell phones can cause health problems years later. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has classified RF radiation as a “possible human carcinogen.” (A carcinogen is an agent that causes cancer.)"

Is that fantasy?

I choose to mitigate the risks. Maybe the risks are dangerous. Maybe they're not. I choose to take steps to minimize my exposure just in case.

Why do any of you even care? Don't think it's a risk? Great! Live your life. Attacking people and what they believe in just because you don't agree with them is immature and rude. All done behind a computer screen and a keyboard, at that. It speaks volumes about one's character as a human being. In real life you wouldn't attack people for raising concerns about their health, at least I would hope not. I hope you all that feel the need to belittle and degrade other people for no apparent reason other than your own pure enjoyment, can find the help and happiness you deserve in life.

To the OP... I hope you find some solutions to your issue, and I'm sorry you have to deal with folks that think you and I live in a fantasy land.

Cheers all... feel free to flame me some more. I'll be turning off notifications to this thread and ignoring it. But if it makes you feel better in life, great.

You win! You're right! I'm gonna go put my tinfoil hat back on and get away from this radiation emitting computer before my legs fall off.

• Disagree
Upvote 0
I just said that people I work with, people much smarter than all of you...and me...
Huge assumption that the responders here are not doctors/intelligent. Speak for yourself thank you.

The CDC even says they don't have a 'definite answer' as to whether or not this type of radiation can cause cancer. More research is needed. It will take many decades before any real conclusions can be made.
All research to date has not found a definitive causal link.

.... In real life you wouldn't attack people .....
In real life I would call out nonsense.

I'll be turning off notifications to this thread and ignoring it......
I get it, you don't like what you are hearing so you will go back to your own echo chamber.

Upvote 0
Darn. Does this mean you're going to take the EMF cancer risk and KEEP your Tesla? Your not going to give it to me?
Oh, I guess you're notifications are off. So you won't even see this...LOL.
Well... no worries. If my feet start rotting away from all the EMF my Tesla emits, I'll be sure to hop back on here and give credit where it's due.

Last edited:
Reactions: legendsk
Upvote 0
Come on people, this is no way to have a discussion. There is a well established link between people living near high voltage lines and cancer. Spend more than 2 minutes looking it up. My cousin used to live near these lines. She died at age 11 from childhood leukemia (with no family history).

The OP had an honest question that I am also looking for the answer to. Unfortunately all of the YouTube video people don’t know what they are talking about, and are using cheap EMF readers that I am sure are not accurate (but probably show a relative reading).

I have not been able to find any EMF readings used with professional equipment on any Tesla except the study below, and they only observed 1 Hz to 400 kHz frequencies (which is extremely limited). https://www.researchgate.net/public..._to_worry_about_e-Cars_An_observational_study

it may be true the levels aren’t high enough to cause problems, but it certainly looks like it could be possible. If anyone finds any readings inside a tesla with real EMF equipment please share.

Upvote 0
Come on people, this is no way to have a discussion. There is a well established link between people living near high voltage lines and cancer.
There is no “well established” link whatsoever.

No consistent evidence for an association between any source of non-ionizing EMF and cancer has been found.”

ANY source.

• Helpful
Reactions: brkaus and GSP
Upvote 0
The OP keeps referencing cell phones and forming an equivalency between them and Teslas. This is invalid and shows the OPs ignorance or deceit. Cell phones give off microwave electromagnetic fields. This is FAR different than the DC (or very low frequency pulsed DC) magnetic fields created by the battery feeding current to the motors of an EV.

Nonetheless, if magnetic fields were harmful, few would likely survive an MRI, which employs magnetic fields far, far stronger than anything your Tesla produces. You have no fear of steel objects flying at high speed toward your Tesla battery like they would if they were in the vicinity of an MRI machine. As an aside, my Tesla windshield seems to be struck by rocks more than other cars I've owned. Could it be that those magnetic fields attract the traces of iron in stones?

Had the OP expressed concern about the Cellular and WiFi systems inn the Tesla, he/she might have a credible concern. But, the issue stated was specifically about the battery.

BTW, I noticed that the OP mentioned that he/she claims an association with unnamed experts. That's all very nice, but arranging travel for experts does not impart credentials and is not germane to the OPs assertions. These need to stand on the technical merits of the arguments. Given that the OP makes no technical arguments aside from referencing youtube as evidence and equating Tesla batteries and cell phones, I would file the concerns alongside the risk of bigfoot attack or alien abduction - both of which have plenty of youtube evidence.

Upvote 0

”Research on harmfulness​

There’s disagreement in scientific literature over whether EMFs pose a danger to human health and, if so, how much.

The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has classified non-ionizing EMFs in the radiofrequency range as Group 2B, a possible human carcinogen. These fields are produced by electronic products like cellphones, smart devices, and tablets.

IARC operates under the World Health Organization (WHO). It convenes working groups of scientists from around the world regularly to evaluate the cancer risks presented to humans by environmental and lifestyle factors.

The current IARC evaluation from 2011 pointed to a possible link between RF radiation and cancer in people, particularly glioma, a malignant type of brain cancer.”

Upvote 0
To the OP... you're not crazy. Sorry that some folks here are a bit rude/ignorant as a result. The truth is, I don't think anyone here would rest their head up against their microwave oven while it's cooking something at high power. But little do they know, the iPhone in their pocket is giving off just as much radiation, or more.

All they have to do is go buy a decent EMF reader and do the test themselves to find out. Here's the one that I have (and recommend to anyone that's worried about these types of radiations): Trifield® EMF Meter Model TF2 - TriField

There's plenty of videos on Youtube demonstrating the dangers with this very EMF reader for anyone interested in learning more about it. It's shocking learning about what's really dangerous in your home. The computer you're sitting in front of... your Wifi router. It's scary. But there's ways to mitigate it if you're smart and do the research.

For reference, my background involves working with some the best neurosurgeons in the world. I organize their lectures at major conferences here and across the pond. They've studied the huge uptick in head and upper body cancers in the last 15 years or so and attribute that to the advent of the smartphone. There's also been a huge rise in lower extremity cancers, especially in men, while the upper extremity cancers (breast and brain cancers) seem to affect women more. They put 2+2 together and determined men typically keep their cell phones in their pockets, hence the uptick in things like colon and prostate cancers. Women (no offense), speak on their phones for long periods of time more often than men. Some keep their phone in their bra when not in use (uptick in head and breast cancers in women).

You won't catch any of these neurosurgeons wearing a smartwatch or using AirPods, either. Although some will use the smartwatches for tracking workouts in airplane mode (which cuts off the bluetooth and wifi). They say AirPods are as bad for one's brain as cigarettes are for the lungs.

But I digress. Evidence can fall out of the sky, land on someone's face and start to wiggle... but they'll still blow it off and tell you to put on a tinfoil cap.

Just ignore them.

Something you might be able to do is get EMF blocking fabric to put under the floor mat on that side of the car if that's where you've isolated the dangerous levels of EMF. Here's a good guide on where to find that type of fabric:

When someone cites that a government agency, like the FDA or CDC for example, says something is safe, they don't know what they're talking about. The neurosurgeons laugh at the 'food pyramid'. Bought and paid for by lobbyists in the processed food industry. You better believe Apple, Google and the rest of big tech plays a big role ($$$) in what the FDA or CDC recommends for electronics.

Nobody should get too worked up over this, either. The conveniences technology offers us makes it impossible to rid your environment of the potential dangerous side effects. Potential being the key word there. But everyone can minimize the impacts on their health if they do the research.

Thank you to the OP for bringing this to my attention. I'm going to bring this up with the neurosurgeons at the next conference. I don't think electric vehicles were even on their radar. But it's on mine now and I'll be doing my own EMF tests in that regard. If you get an EMF blocking fabric and you have good results with it, please let me know! I'd be curious as to how that works out.
Thanks for the measured and thoughtful response. I’ve owned many Teslas and love the car, put an order in for my first after a tour of a completely empty Fremont factory, bought and held tons of TSLA stock, etc, etc. I say all this to say that I am a longtime fan, but the Tesla fanboy has always been the worst part of the experience and many of these know-it-all, snarky, dismissive comments are a prime example. Blind allegiance. Thanks again, Matthew.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
Upvote 0
Nobody came on here and said they want to get rid of their Tesla. Nobody said they're getting rid of their cell phone. Nobody told any of you to do the same. I just said that people I work with, people much smarter than all of you... and me... take pause and suggest the radiation emitted by many of the electronics we use do give off a significant amount of radiation... and likely are having a negative effect on health. These folks deal with people who suffer from a myriad of neurological disorders who can't even own a cell phone because it causes severe migraine headaches for them. Whether any of you want to believe it, or not, is just fine. You do you.

The CDC even says they don't have a 'definite answer' as to whether or not this type of radiation can cause cancer. More research is needed. It will take many decades before any real conclusions can be made. The CDC goes on:

"Yes – cell phones and cordless phones use radiofrequency radiation (RF) to send signals. RF is different from other types of radiation (like x-rays) that we know can be harmful. We don’t know for sure if RF radiation from cell phones can cause health problems years later. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has classified RF radiation as a “possible human carcinogen.” (A carcinogen is an agent that causes cancer.)"

Is that fantasy?

I choose to mitigate the risks. Maybe the risks are dangerous. Maybe they're not. I choose to take steps to minimize my exposure just in case.

Why do any of you even care? Don't think it's a risk? Great! Live your life. Attacking people and what they believe in just because you don't agree with them is immature and rude. All done behind a computer screen and a keyboard, at that. It speaks volumes about one's character as a human being. In real life you wouldn't attack people for raising concerns about their health, at least I would hope not. I hope you all that feel the need to belittle and degrade other people for no apparent reason other than your own pure enjoyment, can find the help and happiness you deserve in life.

To the OP... I hope you find some solutions to your issue, and I'm sorry you have to deal with folks that think you and I live in a fantasy land.

Cheers all... feel free to flame me some more. I'll be turning off notifications to this thread and ignoring it. But if it makes you feel better in life, great.

You win! You're right! I'm gonna go put my tinfoil hat back on and get away from this radiation emitting computer before my legs fall off.
Worst part about this community is the minority of loud fanboy jerks. I’ve been to a couple of Tesla events - to your point, most of the loudest, most outspoken fanboys on Twitter and on forums like these lose all courage in person. Just a bunch of virtual know it alls, in real life socially awkward weirdos. And lame overall. Pretty sad little guys. Appreciate your comments Matthew.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
Upvote 0
Lots of folks are inclined to choose the things they worry about based on rumors they have heard and wind up worrying about the wrong things. The universe is a dangerous place and there is plenty of stuff to worry about, so it's really a shame to waste it on worrying about the wrong stuff. Just as an example, your toaster likely emits around 300 times more radiation than your cell phone. Still, some will worry about living under a power line, but then try to rescue a reticent piece of bread with a stainless steel fork from a live toaster.

From being around some really good safety engineers, I'm convinced it would be great if our grade schools had a few courses from safety experts about hazard recognition.

Reactions: Trendy
Upvote 0
To the OP... you're not crazy. Sorry that some folks here are a bit rude/ignorant as a result. The truth is, I don't think anyone here would rest their head up against their microwave oven while it's cooking something at high power. But little do they know, the iPhone in their pocket is giving off just as much radiation, or more.

All they have to do is go buy a decent EMF reader and do the test themselves to find out. Here's the one that I have (and recommend to anyone that's worried about these types of radiations): Trifield® EMF Meter Model TF2 - TriField

There's plenty of videos on Youtube demonstrating the dangers with this very EMF reader for anyone interested in learning more about it. It's shocking learning about what's really dangerous in your home. The computer you're sitting in front of... your Wifi router. It's scary. But there's ways to mitigate it if you're smart and do the research.

For reference, my background involves working with some the best neurosurgeons in the world. I organize their lectures at major conferences here and across the pond. They've studied the huge uptick in head and upper body cancers in the last 15 years or so and attribute that to the advent of the smartphone. There's also been a huge rise in lower extremity cancers, especially in men, while the upper extremity cancers (breast and brain cancers) seem to affect women more. They put 2+2 together and determined men typically keep their cell phones in their pockets, hence the uptick in things like colon and prostate cancers. Women (no offense), speak on their phones for long periods of time more often than men. Some keep their phone in their bra when not in use (uptick in head and breast cancers in women).

You won't catch any of these neurosurgeons wearing a smartwatch or using AirPods, either. Although some will use the smartwatches for tracking workouts in airplane mode (which cuts off the bluetooth and wifi). They say AirPods are as bad for one's brain as cigarettes are for the lungs.

But I digress. Evidence can fall out of the sky, land on someone's face and start to wiggle... but they'll still blow it off and tell you to put on a tinfoil cap.

Just ignore them.

Something you might be able to do is get EMF blocking fabric to put under the floor mat on that side of the car if that's where you've isolated the dangerous levels of EMF. Here's a good guide on where to find that type of fabric:

When someone cites that a government agency, like the FDA or CDC for example, says something is safe, they don't know what they're talking about. The neurosurgeons laugh at the 'food pyramid'. Bought and paid for by lobbyists in the processed food industry. You better believe Apple, Google and the rest of big tech plays a big role ($$$) in what the FDA or CDC recommends for electronics.

Nobody should get too worked up over this, either. The conveniences technology offers us makes it impossible to rid your environment of the potential dangerous side effects. Potential being the key word there. But everyone can minimize the impacts on their health if they do the research.

Thank you to the OP for bringing this to my attention. I'm going to bring this up with the neurosurgeons at the next conference. I don't think electric vehicles were even on their radar. But it's on mine now and I'll be doing my own EMF tests in that regard. If you get an EMF blocking fabric and you have good results with it, please let me know! I'd be curious as to how that works out.
Great insight and summary of how these things get overlooked by three letter agencies. Appreciate what you're doing.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd and Nrkl
Upvote 0
Great insight and summary of how these things get overlooked by three letter agencies. Appreciate what you're doing.
It's complicated and very technical science and poorly understood by the general public who have long been the victim of poor, biased news reporting and FUD sponsored by those industries who could be disrupted by clean cheap energy.

Don't lose sight of the fact that the sun is a giant nuclear fusion reactor, running wild without any human controls and no shielding at all, other than earth's atmosphere and magnetic field - and yet otherwise sane people take off most of their clothes and lay exposed in the bath of radiation to achieve a satisfactory skin color????????? And then fret about the relatively minor amount of radiation given off by power lines, cell phones or televisions? It's all so inconsistent it would be funny if it weren't so tragic. Perhaps it's funny anyway?

Upvote 0