Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EMMC preventative failure/repair in Chicago/area.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I am hearing lots of people's MCU going out because of the EMMC failure. Do we have anywhere in Chicago land besides Tesla service centers that can make such repairs or prevent such failure from happening. I guess they are getting full on early 2013 and 2014 models s? I have heard people get stranded or have faced safety issues do to losing HVAC, turning signal and rear camera capabilities.

I don't see in reality how anyone can associate the failure of the eMMC to elevate to a safety issue. Turn signals still work, the sound they make doesn't. We can still put our arms out the window to signal like pappy did for 50 years. You might not like it, but it works until we can get the MCU fixed. It's not a perfect solution but its also no permanent. Half the people where I drive don't use the darn turn signals most of the time or even turn on their headlights before daylight.

I mean we can call lack of A/C and a backup camera a safety issue - but it is really not. Else what about the 100 million cars and trucks built before 2010 that don't have backup cameras? Should they be grounded for lack of a back up camera? How did we manage to turn our hear and look over our shoulders for all that time? Tsk, tsk. When did the feds require cars sold in the U.S. have backup cameras? I know, I know ! May 2018, two months after MCU1 was discontinued in new cars. Hmm.

I guess everyone over the age of 16 should get a national freedom metal for managing to drive cars and trucks without backup camera for the last 100 years. Because anything without a back up camera is a safety issue now? :)

Don't confuse my sarcasm with indifference to this problem. I don't think that I don't want it fixed - the right way for owners at as little expense as possible. Its important and it needs an inexpensive method or no cost to owners to fix. But its not a safety issue that's going to just lock the car up in the middle of a busy highway and get run over by a Honda Fit. People may not like it, but its no different than a transmission or engine failing and having to pull over to the side of the road. Its a major headache, but not a safety issue.

Okay bring it on. But don't be surprise if I don't wage word war back debating my opinion. Its just my opinion and you have yours. But don't take the coward's way out and just disagree. If you have a different view, post it, don't hide behind a "Disagree" :p, like too many do.

I don't see in reality how anyone can associate the failure of the eMMC to elevate to a safety issue. Turn signals still work, the sound they make doesn't. We can still put our arms out the window to signal like pappy did for 50 years. You might not like it, but it works until we can get the MCU fixed. It's not a perfect solution but its also no permanent. Half the people where I drive don't use the darn turn signals most of the time or even turn on their headlights before daylight.

I mean we can call lack of A/C and a backup camera a safety issue - but it is really not. Else what about the 100 million cars and trucks built before 2010 that don't have backup cameras? Should they be grounded for lack of a back up camera? How did we manage to turn our hear and look over our shoulders for all that time? Tsk, tsk. When did the feds require cars sold in the U.S. have backup cameras? I know, I know ! May 2018, two months after MCU1 was discontinued in new cars. Hmm.

I guess everyone over the age of 16 should get a national freedom metal for managing to drive cars and trucks without backup camera for the last 100 years. Because anything without a back up camera is a safety issue now? :)

Don't confuse my sarcasm with indifference to this problem. I don't think that I don't want it fixed - the right way for owners at as little expense as possible. Its important and it needs an inexpensive method or no cost to owners to fix. But its not a safety issue that's going to just lock the car up in the middle of a busy highway and get run over by a Honda Fit. People may not like it, but its no different than a transmission or engine failing and having to pull over to the side of the road. Its a major headache, but not a safety issue.

Okay bring it on. But don't be surprise if I don't wage word war back debating my opinion. Its just my opinion and you have yours. But don't take the coward's way out and just disagree. If you have a different view, post it, don't hide behind a "Disagree" :p, like too many do.
WTF all I was asking if anyone in Chicago land area knew where this repair can be done. Everything I wrote is what I have heard. Wether it's a safety issue or not it's BS that it's going out on a 100k car. When it's practically the brain of the car but sure if mine goes out feel free to give me yours since you don't seem to care.

So anyone again, in Chicago land area that knows of anyone doing suck repair without being ripped off please share.

Reactions: MarkoC and BobC
I just had my MCU fail (2015 Model S) at 69,977 miles. I'm wondering what other owners' experiences have been getting the units replaced. I don't trust Tesla has the means/motivation to replace the part or fix it properly (from the reading I've done on the issue). Parts has always been a very weak component of Tesla-- they've put the bulk of their resources into making new vehicles rather than fixing existing vehicles if/when things go wrong. The only shop I'm aware of is Gruber Motors in Arizona. I'm considering giving them a call because I anticipate I'll get to my service appointment on August 13 and find out the part is on backorder for some unspecified number of months.

My turn signals did not work (and yes I mean the actual signals, not just the sound, as confirmed by my wife who was standing behind the car).

I upgraded to MCU2, by the way, and highly recommend it.