Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eMMC recall reimbursement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much something costs Tesla is irrelevant to the customer. What matters is how much Tesla charges after adding their profit margin. They quoted me over $2K when my MCU1 died. They didn't have the $500 option until later in 2020. The part number to order just the circuit board did not even exist, they only had the complete MCU.
When I figured out what my problem was, it was January 2020. All the comments in the TMC thread were talking about quotes of $1200-$2500 at the time, mostly in the neighborhood of $2000. I decided that since the price was similar at The Electrified Garage in NH that I wouldn't even bother asking my local SC for an estimate. They hadn't exactly done a good job with my car previously, and I wasn't excited to see any of them again. TEG noticed in the process of fixing my alignment (which Watertown could never seem to get right) that they couldn't fix it because Tesla had replaced one of my rear control arms with the wrong part. Oh Watertown, what are you guys doing there?

Anyway, even though this was more expensive that it might have been if I'd waited 6 more months, I had no way to know that at the time.I also got access to my car diagnostics and logs, and I can activate service mode whenever I want now. It's saved me from having to replace my 12V battery already, so I consider that a benefit worth at least $200.

Reactions: markb1
Hi @CravingMender9, the NHTSA redirected me to the general attorney of my state, which in turn told me to complain to the consumer association. The consumer association told me I was right, but that they didn't have much power to do anything, and that I should sue them. So not sure how this will proceed. If we are many, we could try to sue Tesla for this.

• Informative
Reactions: CravingMender9
Hi @CravingMender9, the NHTSA redirected me to the general attorney of my state, which in turn told me to complain to the consumer association. The consumer association told me I was right, but that they didn't have much power to do anything, and that I should sue them. So not sure how this will proceed. If we are many, we could try to sue Tesla for this.
This smells like a valid class action lawsuit to me. Does anyone know an attorney that takes on class actions? I have no idea how to get something like this started.

Yea you could sue, but is it worth the hassle? They denied my MCU fix too. They also sold me a 691hp car which it took them 2 years and a lawsuit to admit was limited by a battery fuse to 463hp, which would be worth more money if I sued. Gotta love their excuse by the way, as creative as their technological solutions - "The motors are capable of 691hp, just not the rest of the car they came in, but therefore we didn't lie when we advertised the car's motor power as 691hp". But you know what, I have sued before, and it was draining. I won by the way, came out ahead after legal costs, but not really after my own time and emotional involvement cost. Tesla/Elon is very litigious too, never ever admit wrongdoing no matter what the evidence, see what they're doing to this guy (TLDR: Tesla sold him a car a lied about it, he sued and won, Tesla appealed and lost, now they are suing him for defamation because he put up information about the trial on his social media).

Life is too short for small lawsuits, and class action lawsuits make money mostly for the lawyers involved, rather than the victims.

Reactions: TessP100D
Yea you could sue, but is it worth the hassle? They denied my MCU fix too. They also sold me a 691hp car which it took them 2 years and a lawsuit to admit was limited by a battery fuse to 463hp, which would be worth more money if I sued. Gotta love their excuse by the way, as creative as their technological solutions - "The motors are capable of 691hp, just not the rest of the car they came in, but therefore we didn't lie when we advertised the car's motor power as 691hp". But you know what, I have sued before, and it was draining. I won by the way, came out ahead after legal costs, but not really after my own time and emotional involvement cost. Tesla/Elon is very litigious too, never ever admit wrongdoing no matter what the evidence, see what they're doing to this guy (TLDR: Tesla sold him a car a lied about it, he sued and won, Tesla appealed and lost, now they are suing him for defamation because he put up information about the trial on his social media).

Life is too short for small lawsuits, and class action lawsuits make money mostly for the lawyers involved, rather than the victims.

At least a class action lawsuit could punish Tesla, which might make them do better next time.

@whitex I understand what you say. But at some point "someone" should do "something" about it, so these guys don't do what they want unchecked. I guess Tesla is a good source for class actions:

- eMMC refund.
- Disabling 3rd party DC charging on salvage cars.

Anything else to add to the list?

At least a class action lawsuit could punish Tesla, which might make them do better next time.
Yea, but at what cost to me and will they even feel it? Me sharing my Tesla experiences with people who ask will likely cost them more sales long term than I could ever win from them. I'm fairly sure my net balance of driving Tesla sales is negative by now (I did drive some Tesla sales early on, besides my own four Model S purchases), but I don't really bother keeping track.

Reactions: elreydetodo
@whitex I understand what you say. But at some point "someone" should do "something" about it, so these guys don't do what they want unchecked. I guess Tesla is a good source for class actions:

- eMMC refund.

Secretly cutting the supercharge rate in half and/or significantly reducing battery capacity in a software update to early Model S's to avoid warranty claims.

- eMMC refund.

Misclassifying structural parts as “wear parts” such as front lower fore links, rear lower links, rear subframes.

At least the form seems to work!

It correctly showed my MCU2 upgrade date from last November. I filled in the details and form submitted successfully. We'll see if anything comes from it..

Huh. The quoted message is from January 2021, over two years ago.

Anyway, just got 330€ from Tesla Finland to my bank account with message "MCU refund". I assume they finally processed my reimbursement form..

Reactions: dark cloud