Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eMMC recall reimbursement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I requested the reimbursement for a DIY replacement at the end of May, and got a confirmation email. Two months later I never heard anything else from them. Still waiting... I wonder how many people didn't get any answer from Tesla. Maybe they are overwhelmed with requests?

I requested the reimbursement for a DIY replacement at the end of May, and got a confirmation email. Two months later I never heard anything else from them. Still waiting... I wonder how many people didn't get any answer from Tesla. Maybe they are overwhelmed with requests?
Same here except it was mid April in my case, and for a third-party replacement.

I have sent several email reminders, no reply whatsoever. The frustrating part is that it seems most owners in the exact same situation have been reimbursed months ago, we haven't, no clue why, and it seems impossible to discuss with Tesla.

Same here for one of our MSs. There was no daughterboard replacement option at the time.
I have aDec 2014 Model S 85, my MCU started failing around 110,000 kms. Telsa didn't tell me it was the MCU. At 121,000 kms the MCU was dead and nothing worked. The vehicle was drivable but no screen, no phone no audio. There were no replacement parts at the time and none in the foreseeable future. Tesla told me (by text message) the only option was to replace everything with the new MCU. The cost was $4000 Candain. I had no other options and I had to wait 2 months. I argued it should be a warranty issue, but they didn't care.

Sometime later I got the email for the Recall and I did qualify. I submitted and several months later got a chq for $420 Canadain, with no letter or any type of explanation just a chq. I thought they must have forgotten a zero. As I was expecting $4000. I have tried to email and call Telsa everyone claims to know nothing and there is no one to call or even email.

I don't understand and if anyone has been successful in connecting with Tesla for a full refund or close please help me out and point me in the right direction.

Thanks

I got reply from Tesla after bugging them a lot. They say they don't reimburse DIY. I outsourced the soldering/desoldering, paid for that, attached the invoice. I also (obviously) paid for the chip. I requested the reimbursement for these two things, no associated labor costs. The only difference with EV fix me or a similar service is that I'm much cheaper. Why this has been denied is out of my understanding.

I got reply from Tesla after bugging them a lot. They say they don't reimburse DIY. I outsourced the soldering/desoldering, paid for that, attached the invoice. I also (obviously) paid for the chip. I requested the reimbursement for these two things, no associated labor costs. The only difference with EV fix me or a similar service is that I'm much cheaper. Why this has been denied is out of my understanding.

I think you should file a complaint with the NHTSA. Tesla is not upholding their end of the deal. The reimbursement email, which is on file as part of the recall (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RMISC-21V035-2904.pdf), clearly refers to paying "out-of-pocket for the specific part and condition covered by the recall". So, while you probably can't get reimbursed for your own labor, you can for what you actually paid to other people.

Reactions: M0rpH3x and KArnold
I think you should file a complaint with the NHTSA. Tesla is not upholding their end of the deal. The reimbursement email, which is on file as part of the recall (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RMISC-21V035-2904.pdf), clearly refers to paying "out-of-pocket for the specific part and condition covered by the recall". So, while you probably can't get reimbursed for your own labor, you can for what you actually paid to other people.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into that and report back.

Why this has been denied is out of my understanding.
It's only hard to understand if you are a Tesla fanboy and your belief system prevents you from accepting that Tesla is laser focused on profit, while customer s who already handed over their money are much lower priority. It's really rather simple, they know if they refuse the refund they save money and most people will not have any recourse. Same reason why they postpone fixing cars by ensuring service wait times are very long and parts even longer (moves warranty expenses to next quarter, allows them to spread them out over time). Yea, some will defend Elon by saying he's just too green or incompetent to build a reliable parts and service supply chain, but perhaps the incompetence helps with the bottom line, so why fix it? Less service centers, less warranty repairs can be billed every month. Less parts made, less parts to pay for under warranty.

As long as Elon has plenty of buyers (most of them first time Tesla buyers) ready to hand over their money, there is no reason for Elon to improve post sale customer service - it would only cost money and reduce profit. Elon knows how to play this game, ensure there are some examples, no matter how isolated, of people getting good service. This is why some people got the full $2K recall refund, so that Tesla can point to those few to "prove" that they did pay out (but of course never mention how many payouts to how many rejections). He is the master of social media.

Full disclosure, they refused my DYI repair claim as well, even though I provided them with plenty of proof, including pictures, etc (plus they can of course remote login to check too, but why would they, pay for someone's time to check just to pay even more money out).

Reactions: TessP100D
Got my check today, full remittance for @ $2732.27. Thanks Tesla for doing the right thing. Next up: reimbursement for the constant defective control links that have to be replaced every 50k miles for $900+ each time. Major safety defect there too, with tons of complaints here on forums and NHSTA, and loads of snapped wheel photos everywhere. If that's not a safety issue then I don't know what is. Thats more of a safety issue than the console for sure. And these things should not be "wear and tear" parts just like the console is not a "wear and tear" item either. I've never heard of any other car needing to replace this on a reoccurring basis.
quick question: How did you calculate the labor costs associated with just the eMMC work? I had other items on the service bill and the labor is a single line item at the bottom for all repairs done. Did you have to supply other verbiage having to explain why you submitted the Tesla repair as a third party repair on the form?

I'm another person who got a 3rd party repair reimbursement rejected. When I got the initial reply rejecting my claim (in February) I was livid. They didn't tell my why they were rejecting it, just referred me to an FAQ page that didn't say anything about the qualifying conditions at the time. I replied quite angrily, and a month later they told me it was "due to the 3rd party repair being done as a preventively and not due to the conditions of the recall". That's not really true. While the car still ran, I can read the symptoms as well as anyone else, and if I'd let it go much longer I would have had no choice but to have a service center perform the repair. My experiences with the local SC have been bad enough that I don't ever want to take my car there again.

The second email from the recall program ended with "further replies to the thread may not be monitored." I replied anyway to let them know that this would be my last Tesla.

I've really had it with this crappy, crappy service. This was a really expensive car, and various service mistakes have cost me > $1500 out of pocket not even counting the $2000 replacement of the eMMC chip. I've had it. I can't trust Tesla to do the right thing, and I can't work with companies I don't trust.

I've been advising everyone I know who is in the market for a Tesla to start looking at other electric cars. I've markedly changed my tone when people ask how I like this car. So far I've definitely unsold 3 people from buying a Tesla, and 2 more will not be buying another Tesla after their current leases ends. It must be nice to be in a market position where you don't care about the sale of 5 cars, but if Tesla is really looking at the bottom line then they should realize that not reimbursing me for something they rightfully ought to have has actually cost them far more than the reimbursement. It's cost them sales and customer loyalty.

Reactions: TessP100D
not even counting the $2000 replacement of the eMMC chip
You paid $2,000 to get your eMMC replaced? That seems very high.

but if Tesla is really looking at the bottom line then they should realize that not reimbursing me for something they rightfully out to have has actually cost them far more than the reimbursement.
It costs Tesla way less than $2,000 to replace the eMMC. They were charging ~$450 for it before the recall started...

I'm another person who got a 3rd party repair reimbursement rejected. When I got the initial reply rejecting my claim (in February) I was livid. They didn't tell my why they were rejecting it, just referred me to an FAQ page that didn't say anything about the qualifying conditions at the time. I replied quite angrily, and a month later they told me it was "due to the 3rd party repair being done as a preventively and not due to the conditions of the recall". That's not really true. While the car still ran, I can read the symptoms as well as anyone else, and if I'd let it go much longer I would have had no choice but to have a service center perform the repair. My experiences with the local SC have been bad enough that I don't ever want to take my car there again.

The second email from the recall program ended with "further replies to the thread may not be monitored." I replied anyway to let them know that this would be my last Tesla.

I've really had it with this crappy, crappy service. This was a really expensive car, and various service mistakes have cost me > $1500 out of pocket not even counting the $2000 replacement of the eMMC chip. I've had it. I can't trust Tesla to do the right thing, and I can't work with companies I don't trust.

I've been advising everyone I know who is in the market for a Tesla to start looking at other electric cars. I've markedly changed my tone when people ask how I like this car. So far I've definitely unsold 3 people from buying a Tesla, and 2 more will not be buying another Tesla after their current leases ends. It must be nice to be in a market position where you don't care about the sale of 5 cars, but if Tesla is really looking at the bottom line then they should realize that not reimbursing me for something they rightfully ought to have has actually cost them far more than the reimbursement. It's cost them sales and customer loyalty.
Sorry for your troubles. I’m on board with you too. I no longer praise Tesla and promote to my friends. Just the opposite

It costs Tesla way less than $2,000 to replace the eMMC. They were charging ~$450 for it before the recall started...
How much something costs Tesla is irrelevant to the customer. What matters is how much Tesla charges after adding their profit margin. They quoted me over $2K when my MCU1 died. They didn't have the $500 option until later in 2020. The part number to order just the circuit board did not even exist, they only had the complete MCU.