Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EMotorWerks JuiceBox Pro build with the Clipper Creek Roadster cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The guys at EmotorWerks (Dorian & Matt) came through and successfully built me one of their sweet charge stations using the heavy duty 70amp Clipper Creek Roadster cable I had acquired earlier on Craigslist. They were blown away with how thick and how much copper was in that cable which brought its challenges, but they overcame them Tested as well as picked up the unit last night and its working as well as looking good. One thing that's pretty sweet is the bluetooth and wifi connectivity. Its easy to schedule the charge as well as monitor it through many channels, so a high ease of use for sure which I for one will take advantage of. Plus not to speak of for total ease of use on the management side of things.

This box can run at 80amps if hardwired in, but I had them throw a 14-50 connector in so I can plug in play. I need to upgrade my home service before I comfortably can pull that much juice. We tested it last night and just as a quick test we were charging the Roadster fine, the VDS display was reporting 237Volts @ 60Amps so all looked good. I really have no need to charge higher than 30 amps unless I just ran an errand or need to do a long trip that requires more miles if needed on a moments notice. I typically charge at 30 amps since it has many benefits including being nicer to the grid.

I also saw Electric Terry there (EmotorWerk's shop) on his Zero. Never grows old seeing Terry and his welcoming warm spirited smile. He's testing and fitting some new quick chargers for Zero that Emotorwerks Dorian and Brandom who rides and races a Zero came up with. Very small footprint and fast fast fast! So great news on that front.

So all in all, very stoked on my new purchase. Its built like a tank, just like the Clipper Creek HPWC both inside and out. I love the steel enclosure too, that way you know its safe and gives an extra piece of mind while charging while you're away.

Lastly, everyone there at EmotorWerks loved and truly appreciated the Roadster and thanked me for bringing it up so they could personally see it. They're true EV lover's and enthusiasts for sure in which their high quality products and personalized service clearly do reflect.

IMG_8414.JPG

IMG_8413.JPG

Last edited:
The guys at EmotorWerks (Dorian & Matt) came through and successfully built me one of their sweet charge stations using the heavy duty 70amp Clipper Creek Roadster cable I had acquired earlier on Craigslist. They were blown away with how thick and how much copper was in that cable which brought its challenges, but they overcame them Tested as well as picked up the unit last night and its working as well as looking good. One thing that's pretty sweet is the bluetooth and wifi connectivity. Its easy to schedule the charge as well as monitor it through many channels, so a high ease of use for sure which I for one will take advantage of. Plus not to speak of for total ease of use on the management side of things.

This box can run at 80amps if hardwired in, but I had them throw a 14-50 connector in so I can plug in play. I need to upgrade my home service before I comfortably can pull that much juice. We tested it last night and just as a quick test we were charging the Roadster fine, the VDS display was reporting 237Volts @ 60Amps so all looked good. I really have no need to charge higher than 30 amps unless I just ran an errand or need to do a long trip that requires more miles if needed on a moments notice. I typically charge at 30 amps since it has many benefits including being nicer to the grid.

I also saw Electric Terry there (EmotorWerk's shop) on his Zero. Never grows old seeing Terry and his welcoming warm spirited smile. He's testing and fitting some new quick chargers for Zero that Emotorwerks Dorian and Brandom who rides and races a Zero came up with. Very small footprint and fast fast fast! So great news on that front.

So all in all, very stoked on my new purchase. Its built like a tank, just like the Clipper Creek HPWC both inside and out. I love the steel enclosure too, that way you know its safe and gives an extra piece of mind while charging while you're away.

Lastly, everyone there at EmotorWerks loved and truly appreciated the Roadster and thanked me for bringing it up so they could personally see it. They're true EV lover's and enthusiasts for sure in which their high quality products and personalized service clearly do reflect.

Careful. Can I assume that the wiring to your 14-50 outlet is adequate for 60 amps (or was this testing done at their shop)?

Careful. Can I assume that the wiring to your 14-50 outlet is adequate for 60 amps (or was this testing done at their shop)?

Yes, my wiring is 60amp+ rated. I wired it myself and ran a 50amp breaker since I don't want to pull too much from my current service as I had mentioned above and normally charge at 30amps. But its always good to let people aware of this. Yes, the test was performed at the Emotorwerks shop where the Roadster was juicing 60amps.

My juicebox is currently soft configured to limit at 50amps (40amps real) which I can over-ride when I upgrade my service if I want to pull any more amps. Its a super sweet setup!

It is. Another cool feature since it has Wifi is that I can use this service called OhmConnect. It the service is capable of talking to your smart devices like the Juicebox, and will charge when only clean/green energy sources are feeding your electrical grid. You receive points when you do this. Also if you reduce energy when the peak power plants you'll also receive points which can be cashed out for real money at the end of the year.

Currently OhmConnect is available for utility services in California. If you'd like to signup feel free to use my referral link if you like:

OhmConnect

Here's the front-end of the website so you can read up on it more if you like:

Ohmconnect - Sustainable Energy Management

So wrapping up its nice having that bluetooth and wifi functionality already built in to take advantages of perks like the one I mentioned above.

Cool on your openEVSE build! Good use of the Roadster cable for sure.